Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer bulbs are over rated

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff i have been thinking about trying the stock foot with one of Ron's cool local class props. (Any extra's yet Ron?) and try to revive participation in the open class . ( dont take this wrong !!! you and you motor/boat combo are allways welcome ) with a little glue on nose cone that wont hurt a thing fishing .if i can get one of those props and drag a few of those guys to the water with thier boats and motors . throw one of rons 15 hp props on they will see they can be competitive down there.then i believe many will come back, cause they wont have to buy a race motor for one weekend a year . just a prop heck we can just swap the prop around thru the pitts if we have too what do you think?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Jim

Anyone seen or talked to Big Jim ? I havent seen him for a couple of years. What a neat Guy.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock Props...

Had a little "Set Back" on my 15 HP props.....don't have the broach for a 15 HP...So, will need to bore a round hole and press in the splines from a rubber hub....with the rubber machined off!! Actaully, I hadn't finished the mold as I've been spending money like I had it...But the mold is almost done...and when I went to look for the broach.........................well, the broach huse doesn't have one....and the owner even looked and he know every broach in the house...He did find the old Speedmaster broach....which is good news as my 15 HP will double as a One Liter Stock/Modified Hydro prop...and they use the old Speedmaster spline!!!

I'll send a test prop to you when I get these done...

ADD: Actually, I was going to say, we never trusted the primer bulbs, when I raced...We would prime our motors with a primer, then hook up the gas line...The only time we primed them wa in the morning before we raced...

But, primer bulbs have cost many a man a race...They are JUNK in my mind....(Even though Chad has one on his 45...right now)...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-20-2005 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron. what is that old saying about its only a problem if there is not a solution.
    but some solutions cost more than others. or is that 2 sayings mixed up lol i dont remember . its cool it will double duty in another class. i look forward to recieving one thanks

on a side note:
    all of the canopys / people in Jeffs picture are the SPECTATORS .
    the pits were from behind Jeff and to the right. no admision was charged but the donation bucket hanging by the road on the way in, was a lot fuller than Marty had ever dreamed it would be

me thinks I will quit using a bulb, dang thing was in the way of my foot anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Default debatable........

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Had a little "Set Back" on my 15 HP props.....don't have the broach for a 15 HP...So, will need to bore a round hole and press in the splines from a rubber hub....with the rubber machined off!! Actaully, I hadn't finished the mold as I've been spending money like I had it...But the mold is almost done...and when I went to look for the broach.........................well, the broach huse doesn't have one....and the owner even looked and he know every broach in the house...He did find the old Speedmaster broach....which is good news as my 15 HP will double as a One Liter Stock/Modified Hydro prop...and they use the old Speedmaster spline!!!

I'll send a test prop to you when I get these done...

ADD: Actually, I was going to say, we never trusted the primer bulbs, when I raced...We would prime our motors with a primer, then hook up the gas line...The only time we primed them wa in the morning before we raced...

But, primer bulbs have cost many a man a race...They are JUNK in my mind....(Even though Chad has one on his 45...right now)...
    I have NO PROBLEM with primer bulbs and have only "seen" about half a dozen fail (usually those made by Tempo, who make after market parts!), out of over 1000's of boats I have worked on. The problem usually arises from owner error and the location of where it was installed. A primer bulb is made to "push" fuel, so should be kept as close to the fuel tank as possible. It is also usually only used to first "prime" the fuel system before the engine is first started for the day, after that the choke/enrichner system should be used. For very short distances (like in an ASR/ASH) you could leave it out and use the "squirt can", but for a long distance between the fuel tank and engine, I would keep the primer bulb in the system, IF you do not use some kind of electric fuel pump (marine use only) used for priming.

Ron, if and when I get a 45, I will have a primer bulb inline........
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-20-2005 at 10:04 PM.
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Daren,

Did you take a ride in a 45? I always wanted to take a ride in one to see if I liked it. Now, that I have the laydown, I feel much safer and have a new craving for driving hydros, laydowns.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Add: Primer

You maybe right on this point, Daren. My primer bulb experience goes back to 1958. In those days we had to run the Merc fuel line connector, and with the bulb hanging down, they'd cause the connector to disconnect...Not really the primer bulb's fault. We also would step on them or get our butt against them about the time you were passing someone....

We just never ran them on the Johnson 15A because I DIDN'T WANT ONE...we may not have any trouble with the 45..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Silvestri 36-S
    Daren,

Did you take a ride in a 45? I always wanted to take a ride in one to see if I liked it. Now, that I have the laydown, I feel much safer and have a new craving for driving hydros, laydowns.
    no, not yet Joe, buy "thinking" about it....
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information