Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: battery

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default battery

I am starting to rig my 13 Alison. 56 inch omc with 150 PS I compression. considering a jet ski battery to save weight and space. anybody got any suggestions for this one.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Odyssey 680 with a lot of success on an inline 6 with very, very high compression - 275 psi. A few guys in APBA 850 hydro running the 49 ci triples also use the 680
    Last edited by Mark75H; 09-03-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave Mason is on this web site.

He's a boat racer and a battery manufacturer. Usually can find him on the pro, modified, stock threads or on the NBRA thread.

Best sourse of light weight H.D. batteries that I know of!

Good luck!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If your budget is tight, a lawn tractor battery works, I've been using one for three years now.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thought and bought an Odyssey 680 for my `98 Force 4-cylinder (has Mercury electronics), only to be advised by CDI technical boffins upon later (stupid me) enquiry that they do not recommend the use of closed-cell batteries with modern outboard electronics.
    As Odyssey lists jetskis in their applications (by model) and there is (to my knowledge) no difference between a jetski and an outboard powerplant, this statement has me flummoxed.
    Can anybody share his superior knowledge on this issue please?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The main issue is CCA. The higher CCA. lawn & garden battery will do the job.
    The smaller CCA. wont make a season in ower lawn mower's.
    You mite conisider a barille, they cost more but are hi CCA. an very lite.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use a Jet Ski battery. It really depends on how you intend to use it. Do you have any acessories you plan to run off the battery, in addition to cranking the engine ?

And here is some news, we are experiemnting with some very new technology in the "Jet Ski" sized batteries. A few of the Mod Folks within the NBRA are using this new technology and it seems to be working out so far. I think a couple of the stock contingent within the NBRA are using this as the starter battery as well. A lot of our batteries are on these go cart style starters within the APBA and NBRA.
    While we don't ultimately manufacture these, we do provide direction to some factories as to what works, and what direction folks are wanting to go. My dad, Lyle, is the guru on batteries. If you want to get hold of him let me know, I can provide his cell phone number.

No matter what you decide on, if you do decide to go with a smaller motorcyle type battery, it will not provide you with a large number of starts before you need to charge it. Also, I would not expect it to last more than the season, as they really are not intended for this type of use. I would say for cruising on the lake go another route. If you are racing the rig and only need a few starts in the day, go for it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How about he issue if you have an unregulated charging system

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am definately using this boat as a play boat. I just hate to add all the weight. I just Need to get to the sandbar! God forbid if I have to be towed home by a Mercury!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are using all kinds of electronics in your boat, I really don't see any problems running a lawn tractor battery. I am on my third year using one and this is the first year that I had to charge it in between season.
    Mike

Thread Information