Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Starter solenoids

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starter solenoids

Hey all,

Ok probably a easy answer but I want to be sure. Ive got a 650 merc outboard and Ive got 3 starter solenoids at hand. So the question is there suppose to be a rattle inside? Im pretty sure I fried one to be useless. I bought a brand new sierra solenoid. Matches the original one.

The 3rd one I have is bigger. The poles are opposed on the side and the bracket is bent 90 degrees. I used it and I worked but it completely fried the negative battery cable. Melted right off the battery. Is there a difference between the two poles on top? One I should hook the negative and one for the positive? I jumped the starter, which works.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You must have hooked it up assbackwards for that to happen.

The energizing circuit of most solenoids is separate in from the case (meaning it doesn't matter which of the two leads that energize it are positive or negative). It IS possible in this case that the shell of this particular solenoid had the energizer circuit grounded to the case--I've never seen that, but... If so, the "+" side terminal could only be connected to the positive terminal or POOF!

Jeff

PS: Since I'm always swapping out motors, I installed my solenoid on the boat (vs. the motor). Makes a cleaner application--less wires under the cowling--and is easy to wire up when swapping motors. (Thanks to Dingy Bob for that one. Note the solenoid mounted to the transom just undetr the winch handle in the below photo.) An ordinary trailer connection is used for the wiring harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I feel stupid. I read the wiring diagram wrong. Busted open the old one to see what does what. Pretty cool easy thing. Thanks for the advice and tips Jeff,

Scott

Thread Information