Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Outboard Racing with R/C models

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage Outboard Racing with R/C models

In November 2010 I have organized a new r/c model racing class in Germany for vintage outboard racing models of the 1930s to 1950s. It's called "152VO" (short for "Vintage Outboard models in the scale 1:5,2"). Last weekend we had our first competition with participants from Germany and Switzerland:

Name:  DSC2937.jpg
Views: 24842
Size:  113.9 KB

From left to right: 1.) Ozarka Model 60 "Atomite", 2.) Hal Kelly "FooLing", 3.) Hal Kelly "Jinx", 4.) Glen-L "Tunel Mite", 5.) "Minimax", 6-8.) W.D. Jackson "Spitfire", 9.) W.D. Jackson "Dragonfly II", 10.) Speedliner Corsair M-510, 11.) Glen-L "Tunnel Mite", 12.) W.D. Jackson "Blue Streak".

Post Thanks / Like

Some more pics:

Ozarka Model 60 Atomite A-class racer

Name:  atomite1.jpg
Views: 13888
Size:  62.1 KB

15'' Kainer steering wheel with 3.5" hub and Quincy V-100 Visu-Matic

Name:  atomite10.jpg
Views: 10190
Size:  58.9 KB

3960 kV brushless motor and steering bar (a cowling of the Mercury KG4-H is still missing)

Name:  atomite6.jpg
Views: 10042
Size:  78.1 KB

Miss Atomite on the water @ 29,000 rpm

Name:  atomite14.jpg
Views: 10587
Size:  62.6 KB
    Thanks STOYGUY thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Speedliner Corsair VO-9 and Blue Streak VO-88:
    Name:  speedliner_bluestreak.jpg
Views: 9265
Size:  95.2 KB

Spitfire VO-42:
    Name:  spitfire2.jpg
Views: 9431
Size:  141.2 KB

FooLing VO-13:
    Name:  fooling.jpg
Views: 9474
Size:  114.6 KB

Jinx VO-131:
    Name:  jinx.jpg
Views: 10654
Size:  110.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Bluestreak VO-88:
    Name:  bluestreak.jpg
Views: 9320
Size:  85.8 KB

Dragonfly II VO-524:
    Name:  dragonflyII.jpg
Views: 9121
Size:  62.8 KB

Tunnel Mite VO-3:
    Name:  tunnelmite.jpg
Views: 9239
Size:  125.3 KB

Speedliner VO-9 and Spitfire VO-42:
    Name:  speedliner_spitfire.jpg
Views: 9058
Size:  133.5 KB

Atomite VO-5:
    Name:  atomite.jpg
Views: 9287
Size:  67.9 KB

Our remote controlled starting clock in the middle of the closed course:
    Name:  startingclock.jpg
Views: 9090
Size:  74.1 KB

We're looking for more members in every country. Our website (www.152vo.org) is only available in German at the moment, but we're hoping to get an English version soon. Meanwhile Google translator may help. We also have a bilingual channel on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/152vo. We'll add videos of our last meeting and of our new boats within the next few weeks.

We're still looking for more original raceboat plans (e.g. SidCraft, Fillinger, Van Pelt, Switzer, Jacoby, etc.) - maybe anyone here can help us?!

Hope you'll enjoy the photos!
    Regards from Germany, Jo

Post Thanks / Like

Very kool!

Post Thanks / Like

I race Electric rc boats in the US . How big atr these hulls ? Motors size ? How many cells ? beautiful boats , interesting
    Thanks , Dick Roberts
    Sun City AZ this time of year
    Poco Loco 153

Allen J. Lang

Great looking boats. Keep posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Dick,
    the boats are built exactly to scale 1/5.2 using the original plans which were published in old american magazines of the 1950's. Many more model pics and all technical data here (click thumbnails to enlarge pics).

You can read everything about our RC racing class here: http://www.152vo.org (sorry, the site is only available in German at the moment, but maybe Google translator will help). Will try to get an additional english version of the website within some months. You'll find some videos of our boats on our youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/152VO (many more videos will follow soon!)

The average length of the hulls is something around 600 mm (24 inches), depending on the plans. The outboarders are strongly modified Graupner GTX 500 and GTX 650, revving at ~30,000 rpm. We'll try other outboarders (e.g. REK, K&B, Hyperformance) next season.Brushless motor sizes vary between 2845 and 3650. LiPo cells from 2S (7.4 V) to 4S (14.8 V), depending on the number of turns / kV of the respective motor. Props are two bladed hydro props with diameters ranging from 29 to 34.5 mm, pitch 1.4. Typical ESC is a watercooled 60 amps type. The hulls are completely made from plywood. Fibre glass and carbon hulls are illegitimate in this class. Building time is about 4 to 6 months, my VO-5 ATOMITE took a bit longer because of the many details.

Our intention is NOT highest possible speed but the most authentic looking speed. The hulls are not too fast, top speed is somewhere around 25-30 mph (for the non-stepped utility hulls). If you drive these hulls faster they start to look unrealistic. At the moment we're only driving utilities, but this winter we start to build stepped hulls and three pointers as well (e.g. the Hal Kelly JUPITER and WETBACK).

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now those are fantastic! Nicely done. I'm impressed with the attention to detail. They even have steering bars and cable steering. I really like how the utilities chine turn. I mean, these are so well done that at first, I thought they were full scale!

I'm working on something now. It's not done, but I'll post some pictures on the "RC Race Boats" section of Boatracingfacts. My boat is not anywhere near the quality of these. Again, well done!

I will check and see if I have any plans that you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBoat510 View Post
    I'm impressed with the attention to detail. They even have steering bars and cable steering.
    Pilot figures are mandatory in our racing class. That's why we had to develop a kind of steering, which leaves enough space in the cockpit. We found out, that the original steering (with ropes and steering bar) works very well in a model, if you use a rope drum on a standard 60° servo. Normal servo arms don't work.

(From left to right: servo with steering drum, water cooled 60 amps ESC, 2s LiPo battery 4,000 mAh. 2.4 GHz Reciever and antenna is hidden under the deck planking of the cockpit. Rope is 0.4 mm dyneema, steering bar is 2 mm carbon fiber. Motor is a czech MEGA 22/10/3 with 3,960 kV and water cooling, Prop is a three bladed 33mm / pitch 1.4)

I really like how the utilities chine turn. I mean, these are so well done that at first, I thought they were full scale!
    ... that was our main intention! If you see them all together on the water, it really looks like Winnebagoland 1953.

I'm working on something now. It's not done,...
    I've just seen your boat, I really like it! Is it the "CabOver" which was published in "Science and Mechanics"?
    You'd be an appreciated member in our club! We hope that our rc racing class will become international in the medium turn and that new members from other countries will participate.

I will check and see if I have any plans that you are looking for.
    That would help a lot - I'm always looking for old outboard plans from the 1930s through 1950s. Thank you for your help!

Jo

Thread Information