Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Outboard Racing with R/C models

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have plans for a Hal Kelly Airborne that I no longer need. You can have then if you would like. Your boats are way cool.
    kk

Post Thanks / Like

These boats are terrific. Last fall I met Jo in Colonge Germany and he took my wife and I out to a great German beer drinking establishment. I had helped him with a few things during the begining of the model club and found him most pleasant. Any thing we can do to help them would be great.
    David
    Aeroliner Race Boats, LLC
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jo,

My boat is an original design to resemble a 1950's stock outboard hydro. It's intented to resemble a C Stock or D Stock Hydro. I see that your club has utilities (runabouts) and tunnels (tunnel mite), but I didnt' see any hydros. Does your club allow them?

Speaking of the Tunnel Mite, my brother just showed me a construction article on this boat from the August 1974 issue of Popular Mechanics!

Like you, my intent is to create a scale boat instead of a pure speed machine. While my boat is quite fast right now and there is a lot of room for more speed, I'm working more on dialing in the set up and the appearance. I'm running a 2050Kv motor with a 60 amp speed controller with 2 each 2S 4200 Mah LiPo batteries in series (14.8 volts).

Has anyone had any problems with the fabric decking material? So far, mine is holding up just fine.

Bill B.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    Last fall I met Jo in Colonge [...] I had helped him with a few things
    David, it was great to meet you and to get so much first-hand information and help. Hope to see you again next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Karl View Post
    I have plans for a Hal Kelly Airborne
    Karl, thank you very much. We got most of the Hal Kelly plans from Ed Hatch / www.boatsport.org, but we're still missing BUZZARD and DRY RUN. We're also looking for plans or offset tables of the famous 1930's to 50's outboard racers (like SidCraft, SwitzerCraft, Fillinger, Willis, Speedliner, Champion, etc.) but it seems as if there doesn't exist any further information about these boats today. Our only model of a Speedliner (VO-09 Speedliner Corsair M-510) was a reverse-lofting of David's original boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBoat510 View Post
    I see that your club has utilities (runabouts) and tunnels (tunnel mite), but I didnt' see any hydros. Does your club allow them?
    Yes, see posting #8, last paragraph.

Speaking of the Tunnel Mite, my brother just showed me a construction article on this boat from the August 1974 issue of Popular Mechanics!
    Bill, I'd be very glad if you could send me a copy of this article (photo or scan) via email!

Has anyone had any problems with the fabric decking material?
    So far the material seems to be 99% tight. I'm using Oratex antique on my boat, which is a very realistic looking fabric with hotmelting adhesive on its backside.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoS View Post
    David, it was great to meet you and to get so much first-hand information and help. Hope to see you again next time!

Karl, thank you very much. We got most of the Hal Kelly plans from Ed Hatch / www.boatsport.org, but we're still missing BUZZARD and DRY RUN. We're also looking for plans or offset tables of the famous 1930's to 50's outboard racers (like SidCraft, SwitzerCraft, Fillinger, Willis, Speedliner, Champion, etc.) but it seems as if there doesn't exist any further information about these boats today. Our only model of a Speedliner (VO-09 Speedliner Corsair M-510) was a reverse-lofting of David's original boat.

Yes, see posting #8, last paragraph.

Bill, I'd be very glad if you could send me a copy of this article (photo or scan) via email!

So far the material seems to be 99% tight. I'm using Oratex antique on my boat, which is a very realistic looking fabric with hotmelting adhesive on its backside.
    Hi JO,

Where did you get the Kainer steering wheel & Quincy throttle. I need both for my Sid-Craft hydroplane model that a friend built for me with my MK55H.

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Where did you get the Kainer steering wheel & Quincy throttle.
    Hi John,

I've built them myself, using a composite of two layers of polystyrene and a core of carbon fiber. I used carbon because the parts have to be very strong. The driver figures are fastened to them and I don't want to loose a figure on the water because of a broken steering wheel.

First I made a CAD drawing of the original steering wheel and the Visumatic. After that the component parts are milled on a CNC machine, glued together and grinded to shape by hand. Finally base coated and painted with an airbrush. Here are the assembled but unpainted parts:
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John,

I've built them myself, using a composite of two layers of polystyrene and a core of carbon fiber. I used carbon because the parts have to be very strong. The driver figures are fastened to them and I don't want to loose a figure on the water because of a broken steering wheel.

First I made a CAD drawing of the original steering wheel and the Visumatic. After that the component parts are milled on a CNC machine, glued together and grinded to shape by hand. Finally base coated and painted with an airbrush. Here are the assembled but unpainted parts:
    Probably a shot in the dark, but could you make one of each for me? If you would, how much to do it?

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

John, You probably have to Jo what scale you need them made to.
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    ...could you make one of each for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    ... tell Jo what scale you need them made to.
    Yes, that's the first question.
    John, I'm always willing to help other model makers. The only constriction is that I don't have an own CNC milling machine. A friend of mine, who's living some hundred miles from here, mills parts for me once or twice a year on his CNC machine. If you can wait I'll ask him next time to mill the component parts of the throttle and the steering wheel in your required scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's the first question.
    John, I'm always willing to help other model makers. The only constriction is that I don't have an own CNC milling machine. A friend of mine, who's living some hundred miles from here, mills parts for me once or twice a year on his CNC machine. If you can wait I'll ask him next time to mill the component parts of the throttle and the steering wheel in your required scale.
    Yes, I'm willing to wait. THe scale is 1/8. I've posted a picture of the model for you to see. The steering wheel is just a bunch of pieces put together. I would like an authentic looking steering wheel just as I had when I raced the full sclae Sid-Craft. For some reason I'm not able to manage attachments as I have in the past. If I had your e-mail address I'd send the picyures.

Thanks,
    John

Thread Information