Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Outboard Racing with R/C models

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    THe scale is 1/8.
    Hi John,
    ok, the correct size of a 15'' Kainer in 1/8 is 47.6mm diameter. I'll send you a PN with my email address.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the photos of John's Model

Name:  Sid-Craft & MK55H model 006.jpg
Views: 3359
Size:  87.9 KB
    Name:  Sid-Craft & MK55H model 007.jpg
Views: 3210
Size:  74.8 KB
    Name:  Sid-Craft & MK55H model 005.jpg
Views: 3264
Size:  116.0 KB
    Name:  Sid-Craft & MK55H model 003.jpg
Views: 3301
Size:  111.2 KB
    Name:  Sid-Craft & MK55H model 002.jpg
Views: 3328
Size:  116.2 KB
    Name:  Sid-Craft & MK55H model 001.jpg
Views: 7042
Size:  83.7 KB
    - Craig "Dew"
    Flyer Race Boats

Post Thanks / Like

@John / Craig: this is a really beautiful model - looks phantastic! What was the year of contruction of the original? And what do you think about building it to scale 1/5.2 and we'll visit you in the USA and race together?

Seriously: I really hope that we get it managed to organize international races within a few years. In fact, today only a few Germans know about outboard racing, although there was a very popular German manufacturer (Dieter König) fifty years ago. The 152VO idea will be published in five articles on the German technical press in the next weeks. This will make the whole subject much more popular.

Craig, do you have offset tables or plans of the Sid Craft? If so: would you be willing to share them with me / our club? The R/C installation will be a bit tricky, but I think it's possible to find enough space for the components in the model.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Craig & John, your Sid-Craft is awesome. I remember seeing it posted before and it really motivated me to put my model together.

Here's my model. I drew it up in AutoCAD and had all parts (frames and skins) laser cut. It's 1/4 scale. Although mine is set up for r/c, I'm thinking of making a display model with all the lightening holes, hardware and other details.

www.blackwellracingboats.com
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another outboard scale model. I built the full size A Stock Runabout in 1992, so I don't think it qualifies as "vintage", but thought you would enjoy it. The model is 1/5 Scale.
    Last edited by SlowBoat510; 10-18-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

1/5 is very close to our scale 1/5.2
    I would not think it is a vintage model, but I like the shape of the modern runabout hulls. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

In December we got the title stories in both german modeling magazines. Meanwhile the old american racing outboards become popular in Europe: 152VO outboard raceboat models are built in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and - surprisingly - one model in South Africa.

Name:  Unbenannt-1.jpg
Views: 4547
Size:  94.0 KB

(Headline translations: "152VO - the new cult" / "Outboard Races of the 1950s with model raceboats")

The boat on the first title is an Ozarka model 60 Atomite (kit boat of the 1950s) and the second one is a Hal Kelly Foo Ling. Both powered by brushless motors (unfortunately model gas engines are not allowed in Germany). Speed ist somewhat around 25 to 30 mph. We don't have a longing for maximum performance, but for realistic looking speed... and these models are already much qicker than the originals (in relation to scale).

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoS View Post
    In December we got the title stories in both german modeling magazines. Meanwhile the old american racing outboards become popular in Europe: 152VO outboard raceboat models are built in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and - surprisingly - one model in South Africa.

Name:  Unbenannt-1.jpg
Views: 4547
Size:  94.0 KB

(Headline translations: "152VO - the new cult" / "Outboard Races of the 1950s with model raceboats")

The boat on the first title is an Ozarka model 60 Atomite (kit boat of the 1950s) and the second one is a Hal Kelly Foo Ling. Both powered by brushless motors (unfortunately model gas engines are not allowed in Germany). Speed ist somewhat around 25 to 30 mph. We don't have a longing for maximum performance, but for realistic looking speed... and these models are already much qicker than the originals (in relation to scale).

Where can I obtain copies of the magazines shown or where can I get the scale plans for the models shown on the covers?

Post Thanks / Like

You can find links to all the plans on the 152VO website: http://www.152vo.de/index.php/modell...atbottoms.html
    I will publish PDFs of the two magazine articles on the 152VO website as well (as soon as the magazines are sold out).

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to find some of the Graupner GTX650 outboards. They are next to impossible to find in the States as Graupner's distributor in the U.S. never seems to have them in stock. I have one, but would love to have a couple more. Or even the GTX 500 or 600....

Here are some pics of the Sid-Craft DU Hornet I am building this winter. It is in 1:6 scale, so it is is pretty close to what you're using... I lofted the lines from the boat my Dad raced, currently on display at the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY.

Thread Information