Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The hook in the hull

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The hook in the hull

I have a skiff and around 30 mph the bow sucks to the water an starts to hook the boat. Its a trihull whaler style boat.i added ply wood behind the transome to give set back but i cant get the prop to bite enough to over come the hook in the hull. Its manual trim 20inch motor 20 inch transome. 11 1/4 x 16 ron hill prop anti cav plate top of plug hole.

Im thinking about cutting and redesigning the back half of the hull. Any imput? I also thot about adding three small pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Some boats were built with a hook in the bottom=(I have heard that the coast guard grades a boat on how quickly the nose will drop when the boat is coming up on plane --obviously tied to visibility over the bow) Some boats develop a hook over time, usually due to excess weight or horsepower on the transom. I had a boat with s major hook in the bottom it was dangerous in a turn, the bow would drop and hook, then the boat would swap ends. I placed a fairly long 2 X 6 on the inside bottom, pulled the hook out of the boat, then tied the 2X6 to the transom and glassed it all in. Boat performed well after that but it did gain weight. Another "fix" would be to turn the boat over, fill in the hook with glass, sand the bottom until it is flat, then fiber glass (cloth) and sand the entire bottom until you get a nice flat bottom.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i was thinking about filling in the hook, but i was kinda worried about the glass sticking i know i would have to grind all the gel off plus the weight and it being a tri hull.mabe ill grind some of it out then fill the rest. any tips or tricks to trap air?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gusmoyer11 View Post
    I have a skiff and around 30 mph the bow sucks to the water an starts to hook the boat. Its a trihull whaler style boat.i added ply wood behind the transome to give set back but i cant get the prop to bite enough to over come the hook in the hull. Its manual trim 20inch motor 20 inch transome. 11 1/4 x 16 ron hill prop anti cav plate top of plug hole.

Im thinking about cutting and redesigning the back half of the hull. Any imput? I also thot about adding three small pads.
    Is there anyway you can take a picture for visual aid?

Thread Information