Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: F-Alky Class Records

Post Thanks / Like

Default F-Alky Class Records

Was interested in knowing the speeds these hydros and runabouts were running in the mid 1960s. Does anyone have memory or data of speed records set during these times?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default FRR or F Racing Runabout

Two in the boat, 14' foot DeSilva, Lon Stevens in-line six kilo record was 97 MPH, as I recall. Record was held by Rich Fuchlin. In 1967, I held the five mile record driving Harry Bartolomei's 13'6" Desliva with a Quincy 75-H and a Konig gearcase, but don't recall the speed, seems maybe 71 MPH. Truth is Rich Fuchlin and Bill Jack Rucker were much fast the day I broke the record but they broke down.

Keep in mind there were over all weights in those days and the cubic inch limit was 60 cubic inches.

I won the second heat at DePue, 1967 in DRH, (I lead 4 7/8 laps the first heat), my D Hydro showed 94 on the Keller during testing. I finished second in FRH to Bill Jack Rucker, I did not test the F Hydro with a Keller as Harry didn't want me to know how fast I was going, I felt my F Hydro was as fast as the D....So, 1967 speeds were around 95-100 MPH, Rucker beat me good a proper. I just prayed he'd stick a piston, but he did have 5 MPH on me or more.

I do know that the Quincy 75-H on the Konig gearcase accelerated off the second corner so fast pasted Jerry Waldman's Quincy Loop 44, he thought his timing belt broke.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Ron! What make hydros were you running?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Schultz Boat

Dieter Schultz.....build Harry a 13'6" hydro for our 500 CC Konig. I think I spelled Schultz wrong. Dieter sent to boat to Dick O'Dea's shop in Patterson, New Jersey. I stopped at Dick's shop in the way to the Expo '67 Regatta in Valleyfield, Canada. They were running the John Ward Trophy race there that year. I was luck enough to win that race, with Fred Hauenstein second. Fred was running a Marcel Belleville Hydro and set the Canadian World Recond in the second heat. Fred's boat was about the same size as mine. Our boats were considered large for the era!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-14-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, and I thought my 12'6" Sidson hydro from around 1966-67 was considered long, haha.

Thanks

Thread Information