Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quincy Welding - Currently

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quincy Welding - Currently

I had the pleasure of racing at Lake X this past weekend. The NBRA hosted an event in the spot that the Quincy looper legends were tested. I have to say, O.F. picked a great little spot to do his R&D. This race was an incredible fun time. I enjoyed myself a lot. I got to see and talk to Gene East again, and that is always a treat. Was able to see some folks from the area we have not seen in a very long time. My dad Lyle knew a lot of people from that area ! Kept us busy talking a lot, but the racing was a blast. And I am able to say I raced there.

Since we were in Quincy, we made the trip to 5th and State Street. I was simply put, in awe of the history. As I walked down the sidewalk I realized how many big names must have walked that same sidewalk. I quickly stepped onto the grass, and I don't think my name is big enough for that walk. Many things went through my head while looking at the building that created the legends we know as Quincy Loopers. It really helped seeing all the pics, and reading all the stories here on BRF. I could simply imagine it all as it was. While the building has been added onto, it is easy to see the original footprint.

Thanks to the folks in Quincy that put the race on, to the NBRA for hosting it, and thanks to Quincy Welding for all of the innovations and for being a leader in the industry.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that "Lake X North", Dave?
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

The Lake X Dave is referring to is better known as Twin Oaks Boat Club in Quincy,IL

Like Lake DePue, the "upper bay'' where Twin Oaks is located is a well protected area off a major river. Twin Oaks, Mississippi River, Lake DePue, Illinois River.

Lake DePue is somewhat larger than the Twin Oaks area, but they both are subject to enviromental issues.

In fact Twin Oaks cancelled their 2011 race due to low water and had it not been for the rains from the remnants of the hurricane a few weeks ago, this year's race may have been scrubbed as well.

Many hours were spent testing and developing ideas for Quincy-Mercs and Merc-Quincys at Twin Oaks.

We were there at least once a week from spring thaw to freeze up (except during duck season) and guess who got stuck in the cold water, thank God for wet suits! By the way, at one time that water was 8-10 deep.

When we weren't working on the waters in front of Twin Oaks, we were often playing there. I saw my first barefoot water skier there.

His name is Jerry Simison!

Ask Butch Leavendusky about playing pool with a Quincy "hustler"!

There are so many boat racing greats who walked on the sidewalk Dave mentioned that there would not be room on this post to list them all. I consider every one of them a friend!

BTW: Dave, you did not need to walk on the grass. You are more than qualified to walk on the sidewalk.

The building is now an HVAC shop and the square footage is nearly tripled. I received permission to visit the "old shop" a while back.

The new owner and I gave each other guided tours. Mrs. Keck, the owner seemed very interested in the long and colorful history her building once played in the sport of boat racing.

Dave, when you left 5th and State I hope you turned right onto 4th street and saw the convention center. If so, you had to notice a 3 block area had been cleared with the exception of a sparkling clean white 2 story neighborhood grocery store and deli.

Winking's Market was spared the bulldozer of progress in deference to it's history as Quincy's last remaining neighborhood grocery store and to public pressure to preserve the store's heritage. The store is still owned and operated by the Winking family.

Those of us who worked at Q.W. often ate lunch at Winking's. In fact I had lunch there a couple of months ago. An old fashion meatloaf sandwich, a pint of milk and a piece of pie cost me $3.00.

Not everything good about the neighborhood is gone. Thank God some things never change!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene:

Re your quote "ask Butch Leavendusky about playing pool with a Quincy hustler".

I may have heard the story, but at this point in my life I have heard so many Leavendusky stories, some have faded into oblivion. One I will alway remember though has Butch as the central character (and he wishes it would fade into oblivion also, as he almost did) and was very humorous to almost everyone who ever heard it, except for Butch.

During the time from you speak about (late 60's) Butch did fancy himself quite a pool shooter, and he was fairly proficient, except when he got in the "tea" and a little money was riding on the game. He was good enough that he had his own highly ornate pool cue with carrying case that had set him back more than a little bit.
    He was also married to his first wife at the time, who was not near as enthused about his pool playing as he was, along with some of his other activities also.

One evening while still living in Kansas City, Kansas, he went out for pool with several of his friends. Upon arriving back home fairly late and just a little confused as to just exactly where he was, he went immediately to bed and sound asleep. He woke up sometime later thinking he must be dreaming about being in a plane or automobile crash and suffering some fairly substantial blows to the head. Just imagine awaking from a sleep caused by more than a little Budweiser, not being sure where you are, and suffering blows about the head and shoulder that you could not figure out where they were coming from or why.. When he was describing it, he said really all he wanted to do was go back to sleep, dream something different, and that way the sore head he was experiencing would certainly go away. Unfortunately it was not going to go away as it was being caused by the really upscale pool cue he was so proud of in the hands of his really pissed off wife.

I always thought that must have been very difficult to be awakened that way, figure out just what was happening to you, and have presence of mind enough to get the hell up and out of there, all the while not knowing just what was going on. That is what you call a real "Survivor story".

I used to kid him about his "Polish presence of mind" because of that story. In addition to being one of my very best friends for quite a while now, he has provided me with some of the best stories of anyone, ever.

It is absolutely amazing either one of us is still alive, for a variety of reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

I probably shouldn't tell this story on a public forum, but......

Butch was in town for a couple of days and on the second day, he came in with 2 black eyes.

He admitted taking a small time local hood for a substantial amount of money at the bar down the street from the shop.

The guy was waiting for Butch outside the bar and forciblly reclaimed his money.

When Butch told me the guy's name, I said, "Don't you know better than play pool with him". Butch's response was ,
    " I do now"!

The guy was a small time hood, involved with gambling and prostitution. He also had a boat and was constantly getting drunk and tearing up props and on occasions a lower unit.

He would call me to say one of the girls was bringing in the prop. He always sent one of the girls back with cash to pick up the repaired prop.

He didn't believe in checks or invoices, didn't want a paper trail of any kind. I wonder why??

While talking about this at the last DePue reunion, I told Butch the guy died in prison a few years back.

His one word comment, "GOOD" needed no further discussion!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Humbled

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    The Lake X Dave is referring to is better known as Twin Oaks Boat Club in Quincy,IL

Like Lake DePue, the "upper bay'' where Twin Oaks is located is a well protected area off a major river. Twin Oaks, Mississippi River, Lake DePue, Illinois River.

Lake DePue is somewhat larger than the Twin Oaks area, but they both are subject to enviromental issues.

In fact Twin Oaks cancelled their 2011 race due to low water and had it not been for the rains from the remnants of the hurricane a few weeks ago, this year's race may have been scrubbed as well.

Many hours were spent testing and developing ideas for Quincy-Mercs and Merc-Quincys at Twin Oaks.

We were there at least once a week from spring thaw to freeze up (except during duck season) and guess who got stuck in the cold water, thank God for wet suits! By the way, at one time that water was 8-10 deep.

When we weren't working on the waters in front of Twin Oaks, we were often playing there. I saw my first barefoot water skier there.

His name is Jerry Simison!

Ask Butch Leavendusky about playing pool with a Quincy "hustler"!

There are so many boat racing greats who walked on the sidewalk Dave mentioned that there would not be room on this post to list them all. I consider every one of them a friend!

BTW: Dave, you did not need to walk on the grass. You are more than qualified to walk on the sidewalk.

The building is now an HVAC shop and the square footage is nearly tripled. I received permission to visit the "old shop" a while back.

The new owner and I gave each other guided tours. Mrs. Keck, the owner seemed very interested in the long and colorful history her building once played in the sport of boat racing.

Dave, when you left 5th and State I hope you turned right onto 4th street and saw the convention center. If so, you had to notice a 3 block area had been cleared with the exception of a sparkling clean white 2 story neighborhood grocery store and deli.

Winking's Market was spared the bulldozer of progress in deference to it's history as Quincy's last remaining neighborhood grocery store and to public pressure to preserve the store's heritage. The store is still owned and operated by the Winking family.

Those of us who worked at Q.W. often ate lunch at Winking's. In fact I had lunch there a couple of months ago. An old fashion meatloaf sandwich, a pint of milk and a piece of pie cost me $3.00.

Not everything good about the neighborhood is gone. Thank God some things never change!
    Gene, thank you for the compliment, but I still think that sidewalk is sacred ground. I was never able to meet O.F. Christner is person, but I feel like I knew him through all the posts people have made.

I think we did turn right and see that grocery store you refer too. I was not sure what it was at the time, it kind of stand alone. Next year I will plan to go have a meatloaf sandwhich, pint of milk, and a piece of pie.

Speaking of black eyes, we ended up at Kutters on the river Sat night for supper. Did not get a black eye, but sure got some looks when I was out front checking out all the bikes, and the girls. Maybe next time I will change from the racing garb to street clothes prior to supper !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quincy 2012

What a great race site and a fun race we had. It was another well run race by ODA/NBRA and we had a great turnout. Brought an old racer back to racing and delivered a new D MOD engine to him. He will most likely setup to have a driver and run once every now and then. The highlight was Meeting Gene East and picking up a C Quincy Looper. I have posted info on the Loopers I now have here.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...rk-40-H/page94

Over the next year they will all be made to look the same, very much on the style of the A and B loopers already restored. FD-88 will be run on a Jerry Waldman Sid I acquired from from a boat building family in La Cross WI.
    I am looking for some parts to build the FD-88 back to a running engine. Pistons, horns and megs.

Alan

Thread Information