Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F Sidson Completed

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to move all our current projects to this thread. First two picture are of some progress (a great deal) on our "D" Sidson that had the entire front missing. Dad has completed the framing of the sponsons and is ready to move on to the last few parts of the bottom. Primarily shaping imperfect surfaces. Then varnishing surfaces then plywood.

The third picture is of our "B" Sidson, which is almost complete. It requires a couple more coats of varnish. and the painting of the canvas decking. Then finishing of rigging.

D.jpg

photo.JPG

photo (2).JPG

Post Thanks / Like

I should also mention the "D" Sidson was originally raced by Rich Towers, with the racing numbers 117-P. We plan on restoring it to the exact paint scheme and racing numbers as he had originally. We have a picture of him racing the boat with a stock 55H.

We came close to running the "B" Sidson at an AOMCI meet, but ran out of time. It just wasn't finished enough to run, but we did show it. Boat will run a 20H Conversion next season, the engine is all ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

This is eye candy for the soul. Beauty and art, keeping history alive.
    Dale Powell Jr.
    Fairbanks, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

Just to show we aren't all about the outboards, here is something for you inboard guys. Boat is a 1962 Raysoncraft. There is a little bit of a story behind this boat. It was originally owned by a gentleman who was attempting to break 100mph with a engine smaller than 300ci in a certain sized hull, I believe that at the time this had not been accomplished, but I do not know. The guy had a blown 283ci in it. First of all he never was able to do it. Secondly he blew the thing up showing off at a dock and the engine got away from him. My uncle (on my father's side) convinced my grandfather to purchase the boat with destroyed engine (blower not included) from Pete Barden, a Raysoncraft dealer and racer in Greenwood Lake, NY at his Gaybar Marina. Uncle, father, and grandfather opened it up and found powdered aluminum and chucks of piston in the oil pan. My uncle then built up the current 327ci engine from a Stingray with Fuelie Cams, and 2 Four-Barrel Carter carbs. It can seat 6 people snugly on front and rear facing bench seats. The deck at one point needed to be repaired because a 200 year old tree fell across it. My father was the only one in the family small enough to climb under the dash and repair it. The boat is ready to go, other than a good cleaning and reinstalling seats, but the trailer is not. We have spent all winter getting replacement parts and fixing some major issues with it. It will definitely run in the Spring though. Those with a sharp eye get brownie points for identifying the cylindrical object and its function pictured on the "right" rear side of the engine or approximately at 5 o'clock on the engine (facing the way the boat is oriented).

image (1).jpeg

image (8).jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Some update on the "D" Sidson. Here is how it stands as of last night. Still need the triangular wedge in the front that supports the center canvas stringer, also need to make two more stringers for either side of the center one (ran out of spruce). Also need a little wedge on the front rib to support the center stringer. Next is rounding the front rim of the boat slightly and then it's just huge task of making the cowling and yoke that it attaches to.

Thread Information