Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looper Props?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper Props?

What pitch/diameter did Loopers run, particular D Loopers? Also, 2 blade? 3 blade?

Thanks.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    What pitch/diameter did Loopers run, particular D Loopers? Also, 2 blade? 3 blade?

Thanks.

If I remember correctly, I ran a two blade Seebold prop of about 6 3/4 diameter and marked 14 pitch with a 15/16 gear ratio. It was made from a Michigan blank, as were a lot of Bill's props. I also ran an Eldridge 1/1 unit w/Merc gears but was never able to get it propped correctly on a competition course. The Konigs usually had superior acceleration by that time frame so you needed all the help you could get. One exception of course was Gerry Waldman, but as stated, he was an EXCEPTION, no matter what he was running. Gene East may also have some information regards this as he was a Quincy employee and posts here regularly.

Three blade props were very rare in the time frame that the loopers were running and successful race engines. I remember very well the first three blade I saw on a Konig engine at the race in Memphis put on by Marshall Grant in the late 60's. I don't remember three blades becoming very popular until the Flatheads were not the motor of choice anymore and had given way to the Konigs by the very late 60's/early 70's.

I think I still have a couple of two blades in that diameter and pitch range in a box somewhere in the basement. If you like I would look for them for you. Would probably want about 50.00 each if I can find them.

Let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill is right in stating most loopers ran 2 blade props.

There is no set standard for pitch and/or diameter and gear ratios play a role as well.

What do you want to do? Do you intend to race, or do you just want to do demo runs?

Do you want top speed or accelleration?
    It's a rare prop that will provide both.

Most of the props used on D Loopers were in the 6-3/4" to 7" diameter range and between 11 and 13" pitch range.

Quincy usually propped a bit on the low pitch side because we liked acceleration.

Dan Kirts won the NOA Championship in the early 70's driving Quincy's boat. Every D-Hydro in the world at that time was capable of 100 MPH on the straightaway.

Our D only ran 87, BUT it ran 87 all the way around the course.

Gerry Waldman; like Bill said, was the exception. Didn't seem to matter what prop he ran, he simply had a knack for setup.

It is very difficult to duplicate a great prop by simply matching pitch and diameter. Some props are just better than others!

When you find a great prop, hang on to it!

A word of caution, you have a beautiful boat and D Loopers are a rare treasure. Please don't over rev the engine in order to attempt to go faster than you really need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Gene,

Definitely not trying to do anything stupid with a Looper. Any time it would run would be a demonstration "baby it" run. Probably pull the timing back a bit too. I definitely appreciate the rarity of them and would want to take care of it. Conversely though, I don't believe they are meant to be sawhorse queens. This is a big debate point between many people, but that's where I stand personally.

On the topic of props, I was expecting the diameter to be larger than a standard D. I have 2 two blade props, a 6 3/4 by 13" and a 7 1/4 by 12" so i guess they would be adequate. I realize most people would test several props to find the ideal one. Just wanted a general diameter and pitch range.

Thanks guys.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful with the 12 pitch prop, and probably start out fairly deep with the 12 pitch if you try it. Typically I used to run about 1 1/2" deep center line of prop shaft under the bottom of the boat with my 14 pitch props on my "D" with 15/16 gear ratio with a Konig unit, and since a "C" prop size would be easy to over rev, even before getting on plane, or while attempting to, you don't want to risk doing damage to your prize.

The reason I suggest this is a 12 pitch prop is what I ran on my "C" Flathead on the same boat, and as you mentioned you don't want to run the risk of over revving it, which would be easy to do with 12" pitch before you even got on plane, as that size is really a "C" prop.

Probable reason your prop intended for a stock motor is bigger, is typically stock motors are not ported as high as an alky burner, as I am sure you know and understand, and have more low end torque to enable the motor to "keep going" and not bog down just as the boat breaks over on plane, so they (Stock) are able to pull a little more prop in that critical area of performance.

I have three stainless two blades made from Michigan blanks, one 6 1/2 X 13, one 6 5/8 X 13 1/4, and the third one 6 1/2 X 14 1/4. All were made by Bill Seebold for Harry Pasturczak when we were testing the Electric Boat "Miss Nickel Eagle" that set a Kilo and 1/4 mile Drag record in the mid 70's. Harry designed the drive for the electric motor that powered the boat, and Bill furnished these props when we were doing the initial testing of it. Each has a little cup so if they were too much, it is easy to remove the cup and make them easier to pull. All have 15MM prop shaft hole, which is Konig and Yamato lower unit size.

If you are interested in them, 50.00 each or 125.00 for the three. If you want to see pictures I can do that for you, but need an e-mail address to send them too. Either way, have fun with the Flathead. You have a rare motor with much history there.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For Richard Sacher:

Richard, your PM box was full when I tried to reply to you. Check for an e-mail from me.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info guys. I had my eyes set on a Looper. Prices are a little too much for us right now, which is unfortunate. The reason I asked about the prop is because it didn't come with one and hoped I had a general size to go with it. But we just came to the conclusion that for the prices, we can accomplish a lot on many things in the hobby, rather than a lot on one thing in the hobby. I think we'll just focus on getting the many projects we have completed (some of which require a lot of money themselves, such as the restoration of a 1962 SK raceboat). Hopefully, by the time we are ready again, the prices aren't completely crazy I'll be here, asking every question I can think of when the time comes, haha. Also, sorry if my post was misleading, didn't mean to make it sound like i HAD one, lol.

Regards.

Thread Information