Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D Looper for sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Default D Looper for sale:

After giving it some serious thought and talking with someone over the weekend about it, I finally decided to put my Looper up for sale. I had a great time finding all the parts and doing the work, but for the last few years it has sat under a tarp, untouched. So maybe it's time to sell it and use the proceeds to find the next restroration project.

FD-43 ( I think, it is stored about an hour away ).
    Mark 40H tower
    Merc 1-1 gearcase

It was originally sold to Dick O'Dea in 1965. Howard Shaw from WA bought it from him in the early 70's. It needs a throttle linkage, and if I remember correctly it also needs a water tube in the tower. It now has plug wires, though it it did when I took the pictures.

When I did the work, the powerhead was torn completely down, and was re-assembled using all new needle bearings.

I was told that Loopers are currently selling for $4000-$6000.

Pictures can be seen on Paul Christner's website,
    http://quincylooperracing.us/subpage83.html

Email me for details.
    Joe Johnson
    HydroC139@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

Can you make it 20 Cubic Inches taller?

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Been there ---Done THAT! Ran good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tall Looper

The prototype F (6) Looper was constructed using two D blocks making the first six cylinder looper. I am sure there are others out there. I think Bruce Summers had one and you can find a video of it on YouTube.

Post Thanks / Like

The first production 6 Loopers were made by cutting the base off one D blook and cutting the top 2 cylinders off another D block. The 2 parts were then welded 100 % thru and then adding a horse shoe like part to the base to allow fitting to the 75H tower housing. The 2 loopers that I have are the first 2 sixes built by Quincy. John McMullen bought the first the spring of 66 and I bought the second the spring of 67. Paul or Gene would know if they ever patterned a 6 block for casting. I think that the engine that Bruce built from 2 D's was not welded, but just held in positon between the case and the heads. I attached a couple of pics of the block that I ran at Hillsdale and had to resurface. You can see the suttle difference in the color where the weld is between the #4 and #5 cylinders and the larger base for the tower housing.
    Attachment 52009Attachment 52010
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper Six's

Quote Originally Posted by R Austin View Post
    The first production 6 Loopers were made by cutting the base off one D blook and cutting the top 2 cylinders off another D block. The 2 parts were then welded 100 % thru and then adding a horse shoe like part to the base to allow fitting to the 75H tower housing. The 2 loopers that I have are the first 2 sixes built by Quincy. John McMullen bought the first the spring of 66 and I bought the second the spring of 67. Paul or Gene would know if they ever patterned a 6 block for casting. I think that the engine that Bruce built from 2 D's was not welded, but just held in positon between the case and the heads. I attached a couple of pics of the block that I ran at Hillsdale and had to resurface. You can see the suttle difference in the color where the weld is between the #4 and #5 cylinders and the larger base for the tower housing.
    Attachment 52009Attachment 52010
    Hi Dick:

Your right about my 4+2 not being welded. when planning the project I figured there are no verticle up or down forces to cause the blocks to want to separate so all I needed was a good seal for water and crankcase compression leaks. A good epoxy did the job.

The Quincy loopers used 1 cyl. hd. for each pair of cyl. I had a 1 piece 4cyl. cyl. hd made by Elmer Grade so I used this on the top 4 cyls. and it secured the blocks so they couldnt separate do to vibration etc. A std. 6 cyl. crankcase tied the front together. This worked great and had no problems like leakage at the block joint.

This should be somewhere else but---I had open heart surgery 1 wk. after thanksgiving, Quadruple bypass and valve replacement. Doing great and started physical therapy last week.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

There was never a pattern for the 6 cylinder 60-66 ci loopers. The earlier ones were made from welding D castings together prior to machining. Three D's would make two 6 bangers.

Later 6's were machined from billets. Dick's project gives an indication of how many chips were involved in machining a billet block.

If anyone has questions about how well Bruce's engine (which was not welded) ran, just ask anyone who ever ran against him.

But then Bruce Summers is NOT the run-of-the-mill mechanic or driver!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to find a new home for this engine. It is sitting in the workshop collecting dust.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Luverne Minnesota, my home town. I stop by to see Wayne Walgrave. Still looks the same, a few more gray hairs but who does'nt. He sold me his left over lumber, he said it should be enough to build a couple of runnabouts, 300 green energy. Will pick it up in april when i go there next month. We talked for a long time and whent through the photo album. It was a great day, Thanks Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racnbns View Post
    Been there ---Done THAT! Ran good too.
    Indeed it did!

Thread Information