Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marshall Grant K-4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marshall

There was a picture an nice write up about Marshall in the Post and Courier a Charleston SC news paper to day, i was kind of suprised to see it . I remember Marshall from the NOA days. Around 1972 a guy that worked at Dorchester Marine ( Ben Robertson's Merc. dealership) Told me that he went with a friend to a house that had a barn behind it . He said in that barn were more Hydro's and Runabout's an engines of all kinds than he had ever seen, this place was in Miss. I have always wondered if this stuff could have been Marshall's.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marshall Grant Thread by Joe Rome

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron. I knew there was more about Marshall than the thread I had started. It seems Joe started another one after some news about Marshall. I had talked to Sam just a little bit earlier today about some kind of condolence photo that could be put together for Etta and Randy that members could attach their names to. He said he thought he could do it, but just wait for the photo I can't find yet. But the reason for this post is.....Sam....can you combine it all so all the posts of Marshall are all together?

oldalkydriver

Default Marshall Grant K4

Often in life one will ponder or think of certain people they had the pleasure of meeting. Even if this meeting was brief and just a blip in time of that persons life. Because one does not further one's aquaintence with an individual doesn't mean that you don't think about them. The crime is not letting that person know.

I had the pleasure of meeting 2 times in my life. Maybe 2 1/2 times. Once when I was playing in a band for another gentleman at the Shower of Stars in Montgomery Alabama in either 1966 or 1967. I was a kid returning from Viet Nam and in a band that was backing other singers. I had a serious problem and Marshall helped me out with very good advise.

The half was when I was traveling with John Toprahanian and we stopped at a man's house/garage near Texarkana. He had several boats and motors with 3 or 4 people standing around visiting. John and I were leaving just as the others were arriving. I believe one of them was Marshal.

Then there was 1976 in Alexandria LA. We were pitted close to Marshal's rigs and John & I visited him. I casually mentioned that I had meant him in Montgomery and before I could say Alabama, He replied; "how was the advise?" Gave me goose pimples.

I've always thought of him as a friend although I'm sure I was just a blip in his busy life. Nevertheless, I feel proud to have known him and sadden to hear of his passing.

There are very few racers left from my day and I have little contact with any of them. Only when I show up at a race do I have the pleasure of seeing them. Just want all from my era that I could have known, I still think great thoughts about all of you.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad Day for Boatracing

I was at a loss for words when I saw this. It feels like when we lose someone of Marshall's stature, a little bit of racing history is gone. The tributes are wonderful. I feel honored to have had K4 roll by me more than a few times. With deepest sympathy to the Grant Family and his many friends.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gene East Talks About Marshall

Subject: Marshall Grant

This email is addressed to my kids with copy to online friends who I know have fond memories of Marshall .

While we are sad our old friend is no longer with us, lets all look back on the fond memories we have of him.

I'm using this forum rather than tie up BRF.

My oldest son Eric was my only child during the time I was active on the racing circuit. Emily met Marshall many years later. Darin and Josh never had the honor of meeting Marshall , although they have heard me speak fondly of him many times.

Eric called this morning to talk about an incident involving Marshall over 35 years ago.

Marshall and I were talking in the pits, I believe at DePue. Eric was 5-6 years old and Marshall started talking to him

"Tell Mr. Grant who your favorite singer is son", I said, fully expecting him to say John ny Cash.

Marshall roared with laughter at my embarassment when Eric replied,
    "Porter Waggoner".

After he composed himself Marshall asked, "Why Porter Waggoner"?

Eric said,"Because he wears red boots". Marshall replied, "I don't think we'll see John wearing red boots anytime soon".

Emily met Marshall at a Staler Brothers show. Marshall invited us to the theater 2 hours prior to the show to have lunch with him and the road crew, gave us a back stage tour and arranged for us to meet the Stalers.

We even sat on stage during the show at Marshall 's invitation.

That's the kind of man Marshall Grant was. As busy as he was with his music, racing, horses and his personal life, he always took time for other people even if it was just a little boy who liked red boots.

Like Ron said earlier on BRF, I too have an autographed copy of his book that is proudly displayed with my racing memorobilia.

We were all blessed by knowing him!

Rest in Peace Marshall, You've EARNED your spot at Lake Paradise !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Karne "Sis" Cadle Write "Unlce" Gene

I got permission from both Karen and Gene to post these emails. i just felt many people would enjoy reading them, as I have read them almost daily since August, 2011.

To: Gene East
    Sent: Tue, August 16, 2011 8:57:24 PM
    Subject: RE: Marshall Grant

“ Uncle Gene ” I agree to all you said. I can not remember a time I did not know Marshall, Miss Etta, Rosanne or Randy. My funniest memory of racing with Marshall and “entourage” was at Worlds in Alex. Rosanne is my age and it was a time when Rosanne was spending a lot of time with Marshall, Etta and “family”… weeeel in true Memphis “Southern Style” Miss Etta brought little Rosanne to Alex fully dressed in a polka dot dress, matching tights, patent leather shoes and a big ole’ bow… so what was a bonafide boat racing 3rd gen to do? Get that poor girl out of those clothes and into something COMFORTABLE and fitting for the pits. As a “seasoned” racing “kid” I knew to bring 2 or 3 swim suits, and 3 pair of Keds tennis shoes. I took Rosanne over to my Pop and Bill Collins trailer and re-dressed her. Took that damn ugly big ol’ bow out of her hair… , brushed her long brown hair, put it in a pony tail… told her to take those hot tights off, put her in my sun suit, my keds, and took her back to Miss Etta. (who didn’t know whether to thank me, or whoop my rear)… but Rosanne thanked me and thanked me again the next time we met.

Love to all,
    ~”sis”

Post Thanks / Like

Ron...Joe talked to three of the four Statler Brothers at the funeral and I just stood and listened in awe. Each of the three all said that Marshall loved boat racing . They all knew about his boat racing exploits. They had heard some of the stories Joe told about racing. One especially remembered was when Billy Seebold won six NOA World Championships in Alexandria. They all remembered when Carl Perkins told Marshall "We have to take all these trophies to the studio....or they'er not gonna believe us.!"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default J B Barnett

JB passed away last week in Memphis at the age of 89. I was informed by his son yesterday. I don't know how many remember JB, but he ran C-service with Marshall back in the sixties, mostly in NOA. He would always show up and visit with me when we had a race in Alex. He came to Depue last July and told me he wanted to see one more boat race. He had cancer and knew his days were numbered.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear the news Ralph. It is amazing to me that at his age, he made the trip to DePue after those many years absent from boat racing. I know you are a man of few words when it comes to speaking or writing about your accomplishments and boat racing career, but when we sit down together, you are a wealth of knowledge if someone asks. I'm going to be real busy in this next week, but if it's O.K. with you, I would like to give you a call in the next week or so and get more info about Mr. Barnett and his history of racing to put in the encyclopedia.

Thread Information