Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bernie Van Osdale's Phone Number

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bernie Van Osdale's Phone Number

Anyone have Bernie's e-mail address or his phone number?

Thanks!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have Ron. I have to look in my notes from the reunion. I will tell you that I was the one that bought his new book...and asked for an autographed copy....at the auction at the reunion. At the time it wasn't published. Publication date was toward the end of September. I got my copy autographed by Bernie about three weeks ago. I didn't know what kind of a writer Bernie was, but he told the crowd at DePue that just the photos alone were worth the price of the book. He was absolutely right. I wanted it anyway without knowing anything about it because books about outboard racing are a rarity. I was more than pleasantly surprised. I have looked at all the photos and have read part of it. It is a fantastic book, and Bernie has a great writing style. I told Joe Rome he needed to get a copy, and he has had it for a couple of weeks. I had intended to scan the cover and give a recommendation here on BRF, but between being busy and my first couple of attempts of trying to post pictures on this new format being unsuccessful, I have not done it yet. I'm very busy the next few days, but when I can, I will see if I can find the e mail for you Ron.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave Byran Told Me About The Book on Amazon

I bought the book and love it. I wanted to buy another and get it autographed, I also wanted permission to post some pictures here on BRF to help promote sales of the boat...Several pictures in the book that I'd love to talk about!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage Outboard Motorboat Racing by Bernie Van Osdale

I got my copy from Amazon for $25. I have really enjoyed it.

Thanks, Bernie......I talked to him today...C-147 "Skippy" is my dad on page. It says "Harold Peters" but that is my dad Rockholt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

There's no way Bernie could have identified everyone in this book. There are too many historical figures at ages that people don't recognize. For instance on page 97 there is a photo of Claude Fox and an unidentified motor inspector. The motor inspector is non other than Papa Smith. I have the address now of Bernie if anyone needs it to get an autographed copy. PM me. or send an e mail.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Actually...

Bernie said Ralph DeSilva identified the picture (C-147)...I told Bernie I loved the book and he's going to send me an autographed one as soon as I send him a check, which will be tomorrow.

There are some interesting stories about my dad's Rockholt. There was a reason it was called "Skippy". My dad and Rich Hallett (Yes, the Rich Hallett of Hallett boats) decided to take the bottom off my dad's boat and try this new wood called "plywood". The boat ran very well, but my dad didn't turst "PLYWOOD", so he ordered a new DeSilva, from the boys (Ralph and Billy) becasue they used plank bottoms.

My dad's boat, C-147, had a P-50 that he raced against the Evinrude Speedy Twins. The OLD MAN's P-50 could out run the Evinrudes but tended to break crankshaft. On May 13, 1947, my dad blew his P-50 "ALL TO HELL" and never raced Service C again, only Racing C. I was 3 in '47 but I told everyone my dad "Blew his motor to hell". The race was at Havasu Landing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron...last Saturday Joe Rome and I had a very good weekend. Our primary goal was to visit MotorSport editor Harry Echols for the first time in several decades. He gave us our start in the publicity part of boat racing, and my start in writing and taking pictures. But first we had breakfast on the way at Louis Rothermel's shop in Houston where there was a gathering of antique outboarders. I have pictures to post later, but what I want to point out at this particular time is the reception of Bernie Van Osdale's book.

Joe took his copy to show people gathered there. He didn't show it to everyone, but mostly to friends and some who had a special interest. I stood there and watched many times when Joe showed them the cover and told them it was about the very type of outboard they were interested in. Every time ...they looked at the cover and all of them said "Yeah....I have that book!" Joe said. "It just came out last month. I don't think you have this one. It's got pictures you've never seen before." Then as Joe flipped through the pages I heard them name motors and old boats in rare photos. I kind of got caught up in the fact that something that just looked like an old C Service to me, wouldn't even be legal in that class. Some guys took a glance and said what they saw without looking at the caption. It was a fun time, and I hope lots of people get to realize that Bernie has put together a real prize book for collectors and boat racing fans.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my copy on Thursday........Love it!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EMAIL/Phone for Bernie Needed also.

I need it, too. I'm hoping he can help identify a little 14' hydro I've acquired...and the proper motor class for it. Thanks, Jeff EMAIL: skiffnbuck@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    There's no way Bernie could have identified everyone in this book. There are too many historical figures at ages that people don't recognize. For instance on page 97 there is a photo of Claude Fox and an unidentified motor inspector. The motor inspector is non other than Papa Smith. I have the address now of Bernie if anyone needs it to get an autographed copy. PM me. or send an e mail.

Post Thanks / Like

For new members that have not seen this thread, you need to check it out. If you are a real outboard enthusiast, and are still racing you may think that's old stuff...I don't have time for that. Years later you will kick yourself in the backside when you start researching the internet, or whatever there will be then, and be sorry you didn't get Bernie's book. Who knows when it will be out of print. There have been a number of threads referring back to Bernie's book in the last several months. I push his book because he spent A LOT OF TIME not to mention some big bucks to acquire personal photo collections from some famous racers.

Bernie and I had squared off regarding some C Services matters in the mid 70's although we had not personally met. I finally met Bernie at the DePue Reunion in 2012 and we talked at length about the research he went through with boat racing families, records, old articles, purchasing photos on the internet, and acquiring private collections. Bernie auctioned off one of his books to be published the month after the reunion. I made sure I was highest bidder and a couple of months later I got Bernie's signed copy. I told him a condition of my bid was that he sign it.

We didn't know each other until I spent some time talking with him prior to the reunion starting up. I found him not to be the limited C Service guy I had a run in with thirty or more years earlier, but someone that started out with his Dad racing boats in the years after World War II and wanted to tell a story. I have great admiration for Bernie and what he has done with his book. There are not that many books around about any kind of boat racing. I buy books I see about any kind of boat racing whether it is inboard hydros, offshore, outboards, etc. I would encourage anyone out there that likes boat racing to buy it now before it's too late.

Thread Information