Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SST 60 Project

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SST 60 Project

Hey Guys,

Been working on this project on/off for a while now. Thought I'd share a pic and see what you think!

Hopefully run it in a few weeks, just waiting on a chip to come in for the computer.

Name:  sst60EFi.JPG
Views: 4119
Size:  212.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

looks great,like to see the other side
    out front again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, hope you explain motor mod's an post more picture's.
    Great looking project.

btw. Look's like a new mod-50 flywheel .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by byrdsperformance@tds.net View Post
    Very nice, hope you explain motor mod's an post more picture's.
    Great looking project.

btw. Look's like a new mod-50 flywheel .
    Not a new flywheel no

Modifications -

The block is my block I raced for 3 seasons, it managed to win me every race I entered, which was 65 out of 65

Pistons - Flowed piston skirts, finger ported, lightened and balanced, Teflon coated
    Block - Decked block to give minimum squish without piston hitting head, sleeves removed to port and flow back of sleeves, block ports all blueprinted, finger ports added, intake ports widened and flowed, crankcase area filled with dev-con to 'stuff' crankcase.
    Head - Top of head welded and drilled to 3/8 hole so can run without thermostat. (I changed washers in and out to find the right size to run to get engine temp right) Head machined down to required cc to run 205psi cranking compression. (I will be running 195psi on this motor).
    Rods were all lightened and balanced. From memory 30 grams of each rod

Crankcase was matched and flowed to block and reed face was machined down so minimal clearance between rod and reed block.
    I used to run boyeson twin stage reeds, this motor I am trying a set of custom single stage reeds from Chris Carson.

There are a couple other mods I have done, but sorry they have to remain Top Secret

Will post some more pics of efi system soon - Hope it works!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuelie?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonracer View Post
    Not a new flywheel no

Modifications -

The block is my block I raced for 3 seasons, it managed to win me every race I entered, which was 65 out of 65

Pistons - Flowed piston skirts, finger ported, lightened and balanced, Teflon coated
    Block - Decked block to give minimum squish without piston hitting head, sleeves removed to port and flow back of sleeves, block ports all blueprinted, finger ports added, intake ports widened and flowed, crankcase area filled with dev-con to 'stuff' crankcase.
    Head - Top of head welded and drilled to 3/8 hole so can run without thermostat. (I changed washers in and out to find the right size to run to get engine temp right) Head machined down to required cc to run 205psi cranking compression. (I will be running 195psi on this motor).
    Rods were all lightened and balanced. From memory 30 grams of each rod

Crankcase was matched and flowed to block and reed face was machined down so minimal clearance between rod and reed block.
    I used to run boyeson twin stage reeds, this motor I am trying a set of custom single stage reeds from Chris Carson.

There are a couple other mods I have done, but sorry they have to remain Top Secret

Will post some more pics of efi system soon - Hope it works!

Question: How did you achieve 195 or 205 PSI cranking compression? Milling pocket depth to .400" means the deck is appx .090" - very thin. Even with stock SST60 porting, the best I've seen is 160-165 PSI with factory combustion pockets.

Anyway, your project looks very cool! Is the FI system your design? It looks great and will be even better if it works!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Question: How did you achieve 195 or 205 PSI cranking compression? Milling pocket depth to .400" means the deck is appx .090" - very thin. Even with stock SST60 porting, the best I've seen is 160-165 PSI with factory combustion pockets.

Anyway, your project looks very cool! Is the FI system your design? It looks great and will be even better if it works!

Tim
    Hey Tim,

I wont say what the squish and head CC are as some Kiwiland racers might read this, happy to PM tho

With that much compression I have had to go to a v6 starter motor to provide fast cranking for beach starts. I didn't want to go to 24v.

I have never had any issues with head gaskets blowing or heads warping. What I will say is if there is any carbon on the top of the piston,
    you can see it touching the head!

Might take a video of compression testing when the motors on the boat.

And yes, my desing for the fuel injection set up. I did look at different systems to get ideas, but designed this for my motor. Had all the parts water jet cut out
    then had some milling done to make it work.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Impressive!! I have done a few injected v6 omc's. Lot less burned pistons. Keep us posted.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ultrafast30 View Post
    Impressive!! I have done a few injected v6 omc's. Lot less burned pistons. Keep us posted.
    Awesome! what injection did you use? Did you notice a power increase? I am looking at building a 2.6etc block with mercury injection...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple more photo's
    Name:  photo(7).JPG
Views: 1988
Size:  133.5 KB
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 2014
Size:  98.4 KB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 2019
Size:  122.7 KB
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 2147
Size:  109.4 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=johnsonracer;125982]Here's a couple more photo's

The throttle body looks great. Where is the injection plume aimed?

Tim

Thread Information