Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMC V4 Tiller Handle

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC V4 Tiller Handle

I am trying to mount a trim switch on the end of the idle adjustment knob of a OMC V4 tiller handle. Can anyone explain how to disassemble the twist grip end of this tiller handle? I have the roll pin out and the c-clip off that hold the throttle cable, but I can't figure out what to do next. Thanks

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

would help to See it, but should be two circles one on each side of the grip, push them in the handle will slide off, there should be two half's under the grip, under them should be two SS caps and an axle for the cable.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here i would like to see what you're doing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice Fast Fred. I will give that a try next weekend. I got a little round rocker switch to put on the end IF there is room to run wires through the handle.

I don't have any close up pictures, but I will take some this weekend.

Here is a picture of the motor from when I was fixing up the boat:

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I got the handle apart thanks to your guidance Fast Fred. It looks like there won't be any room for wires to run through the middle where the throttle cable is.

I would like to set this up so I can operate the throttle and trim with one hand. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I wish Detroit Whitey would see this, I think he had a trim switch on the end of his omc tiller.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

you should put it in the end of the handle, like you want, you can do it.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I get the wires past the throttle cable? From what I can see, the cable takes up the entire interior of the handle.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abwehrly42 View Post
    How do I get the wires past the throttle cable? From what I can see, the cable takes up the entire interior of the handle.
    You know I don't see why you can't make some kind of an adapter maybe out of aluminum that would connect to the aluminum tiller arm itself and then kinda go around the throttle grip then stoping right in front of the throttle grip and mount your switch there. It may not look as slick as it coming right out the end of the grip but it would surve the same purpose. This would be really pretty easy to make and I think it could be pretty sturdy so that when you hit the button it shouldn't flex. Just a thought.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's an idea. Are you saying come far enough out so your fingers go between the bracket and the twist grip? I'd hate to hit a stump with my fingers trapped in there like that though.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abwehrly42 View Post
    That's an idea. Are you saying come far enough out so your fingers go between the bracket and the twist grip? I'd hate to hit a stump with my fingers trapped in there like that though.

Yeah thats what I mean kinda like a hand guard you may see on a dirt bike. This bracket may flex some depending on how you make it but it's an idea. I had thought about doing it this way but think i'm gonna mount me a button along the hand rail as I hold on. You should be able to make something that would clear your hands enough and hell you could add some padding to it to ease the slamming into your fingers if you hit a log.
    Here's a crummy little picture but this could be built to be pretty sturdy I think and i guess could be made to be stylish lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information