Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: 1953-54 Martin 200 Props built by Michigan # Q70 & Q71

Post Thanks / Like

Default WTB: 1953-54 Martin 200 Props built by Michigan # Q70 & Q71

Michigan props made two aftermarket props for the above service motor.
    They were numbered Q70 & Q71, one was a brass two blade the other a aluminum two blade & both
    I believe were the same pitch & diameter. This goes way back but dig in your old vintage props for these.
    I would be interested in one or the other or both.Please e-mail buff10@charter.net with details.
    Thanks much
    Ronald

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

May be able to help you. We have some props that no one seems to be able to identify. Even some with MWC factory part #'s. (nothing in their historical books) My father in law started this little prop shop over 4 decades ago and we have accumulated some unusual pieces. BTW I think Ron (the history buff) even looked at a couple of these and scratched his head. May be about time to let some of these rare old props have a new owner. we have enjoyed talking about them for years, and frankly I'm tired of polishing them. I have around 5,000 in stock (mostly current)...... but, what I'm saying is "you have a chance". Back in the shop on 1/2/2012. Thanks, Bryan @ boat city prop shop OKC,OK 405-632-2844

Post Thanks / Like

Default How About Some Pictures?

All brass props?? 5,000? Let's see a few?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

C'mon Ron you know me. Not much brass left. Nibral yes, Hundreds of new and used ski boat stuff. The balance (5K) of which is new and used aluminum and stainless steel props from 9.9 outboard to speedmaster #6 5 blade cleavers. Just trying to help a man with an antique. (Think Tom Wood blade molds)LOL........but I will post a pic of one "mystery" prop when we return to work. I am sure you looked at it when you last visited. It's a MWC brass that is a true strange duck!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Bryan: You can look but I doubt if you have the props I am looking to acquire. They are listed in the 1954 Michigan prop catalog under Martin Motors. Prop # Q70 is a 2 blade Aluminum 7 1/2 x 8 & the # Q71 is a 2 blade Brass 7 1/2 x 8. These two props were the Michigan replacement service props for the standard Martin 200 prop which also was a Aluminum 2 blade & carried the same dia & Pitch measurements. The Martin motor used a RIGHT hand rotating prop (opposite direction of a Merc or Hot-Rod), & the motor carried a hefty prop shaft dia of around .671 if I remember right. As the Martin 200 was a 2 year only motor 1953-54 with a limited production of 3000 motors total I do not know how many of the Michigan aftermarket props got out there?? You or anyone else can respond to my search at: buff10@charter.net with pictures & price would also be of help to me. Also any 200's or parts motors, parts NOS or used, literature etc I am also interested in acquiring.
    Ronald

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Martins used right hand props?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam: I might have put that down wrong??, anyhow the prop turns opposite of a Mercury. Looking at it from the rear the Martin prop turns clockwise & the Mercury counter clockwise. I will change it in my ad.
    Thanks
    Ronald

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Buff, I am not looking to SELL you any of this antique stuff. You can HAVE it. I am seriously tired of waiting for someone that might be interested in it. I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but, when between me and my father in law (66 years exp in "just props") aren't sure what they fit, IT IS TIME TO GET RID OF THEM!!! My friend, I will look and you and I will both hope that I can fix you up. I'm also going to post some of this "odd" factory stuff pics and see if we can find anyone to identify them. Thanks, Bryan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they splined hubs? Or no hubs? Or fore or aft shear pin? Just trying to get a benchmark.

Post Thanks / Like

Aft shear pin?, not the prop nut end but what I call the backside of the prop next to the foot, smooth prop shaft with what I assume would be a small hollow hub similiar to the stock Martin 200 prop, just to flush out to the taper on the foot to prop. Also Bryan thanks for your generous offer, yes I also would hope you can find Q70 & Q71 both or one. Again they have to be a Michigan prop & they should be marked with those #'s. Also they were produced in the 1954 era. Bryan also remember right hand rotation, when prop is viewed from the rear it turns clockwise, that perhaps is a big clue as most in that era turned left rotation.
    Ronald

Thread Information