Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OMC 15A oil splotch

Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC 15A oil splotch

OK, I'm on a roll here (since I had to take the motor apart to fix something in the mid section anyway). There's a splotch inside the motor cover, just below the power head on the forward side. Is this normal, or perhaps something is leaking?

Name:  spot.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  265.6 KB

Thanks!
    Dave
    "42C"

Post Thanks / Like

Look around the lower part of the powerhead for a source.

Check the upper shock mounts, they usually wear out fast. Hope your'e
    running good oil (like XD100) @ 25:1 in that hot rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Gas/Oil leak from the Carb I think?
    - Craig "Dew"
    Flyer Race Boats

Post Thanks / Like

The 15 and the 15 racing engines all used a rubber spray that insulated the grounds from the ignitriion down to the body of the motor. There are 2 or 3 I forget how many separate multiple stranded cables from the ignition down through the pivot. This black splitchen there looks like dried rubber goober von schloppen similar to what was used. I've had a bunch of those apart, Evinrude and Johnson and every one of the cowlings have slitchens in various places like the one you got there. Is it goopy or dried and kind of sticky or mayhaps just dry? If its more dry I'm betting is the goober von schloppen that was used to insulate the grounding cables.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Post Thanks / Like

It has the consistency and color of molybdenum-disulfide grease. It's grey, and feels like grease, rubs off like grease. There is a matching "greasy" area on the powerhead, at the bottom of the carb manifold. It doesn't look like it's leaking from anywhere, as it was on the outside of the carb manifold and didn't appear to be in the area of the gasket where it bolts to the head.
    Dave
    "42C"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by halestorm View Post
    It has the consistency and color of molybdenum-disulfide grease. It's grey, and feels like grease, rubs off like grease. There is a matching "greasy" area on the powerhead, at the bottom of the carb manifold. It doesn't look like it's leaking from anywhere, as it was on the outside of the carb manifold and didn't appear to be in the area of the gasket where it bolts to the head.
    Appears to be an area of abrasion form part of the power head or loose part rubbing on the pan. Aluminum powder from sanding or rubbing will turn to a moly looking and feeling paste when mixed with oil. Wipe clean and you will probably see a wear mark through the paint and into the aluminum.

Thread Information