Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 44 Merc - take II

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

am i the only one that can't watch youtube videos or is youtube on the frits?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They both worked for me.
    kk

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris3298 View Post
    am i the only one that can't watch youtube videos or is youtube on the frits?
    Chris and anyone else that the link won't work for; go to youtube and search for "dixon edm" and "cnc reed".

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixon263 View Post
    Chris and anyone else that the link won't work for; go to youtube and search for "dixon edm" and "cnc reed".
    I can go to the page but the video won't play some reason. Only thing I can figure it's something to do with this Mac I have that won't let me view it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the pyramid reed mount plate with mounted reed cages. I got a little carried away when I was programming the pockets for the cages and went the extra step of programming individual pockets for each of the 8-32 phillips head fasteners that hold the reeds to the cage. The same program was used with a slightly deeper depth for the four crankcase openings. Reeds cages (OMC triple) and trial reeds courtesy of Tim Kurcz. The main crankcase front half is now down from a starting 37# to 12#. I'll pocket a few more lbs. off it and hope to get it down to around 8-9 lbs hopefully, still about three times the original Mercury 44 front half weight of approx. three pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome Dixon, It appears you used four corner hold down screws. Please post pics of the reed cage work. Thanks,

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

absolutely awsome work

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few more pics of the latest progress. The electric starter mounting ear is almost finished, the alum block wasn't quite big enough for both starter bolts and will need a bolt on piece for the second starter bolt. I pocketed out a lot of material from the front between the reed cages with a CNC. The crankcase front is now about 9-10 lbs and I am running out of easy places to remove significant material now. I was a little concerned about clearance for the electric starter due to the much added thickness and width over the original piece, but it fits quite easy with about an eighth inch to spare.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Dixon - your front cover looks awesome! Between you, Dick Austin, and Doug Kay anything is possible........... Keep posting!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That just blows my mind what people can make just amazing the quality, thanks for sharing.

Thread Information