Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 National Pepper Association Rules

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kimosabe was the masked man...
    his sidekick, in non-politically correct terms, was known as "Tonto"
    Wasabe is Japanese horseradish, and is now, by rule, an illegal additive, it's an oxygenator!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Just Got This Off Google

Wasabi and Horseradish are both part of the mustard family

Over on the LA board, we started to get into the difference between the "hot" sensations of wasabi and peppers.

I know what makes peppers "hot" and that the hot sensation is basically an irritation of the tissues the capsicum comes in contact with (including your hands, eyes, etc. if you aren't careful), which then triggers cleansing responses (runny nose, watery eyes).

But what is the mechanism of the explosive sensation of wasabi going up your nose, into your sinuses?

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism, but wasabi and horseradish are both part of the mustard family, and form various mustard oils when the cells are crushed. Since mustard oils are extrememly volatile, all three condiments affect the nasal passages (in this characteristic, they are similar to onions and garlic). That volatility also accounts for the fact that the heat of wasabi, hot mustard and horseradish disappears so quickly.

Although pure mustard oil will irritate the skin, I think (not sure about this one) that the oils aren't present in high enough concentrations in the condiments we eat to do that.

Mustard sure as hell isn't a PEPPER. Maybe we should let Wasabi and Horseradish be members. We would not let them have top billing at National Pepper Events, but maybe in some farm areas of the mid west we could allow them to take part in NPA events. I'm just speaking for myself here, I don't want to rile anyone or bring 1981 again! We surely would not allow them to vote! Next thing we'd know the NPA would be the National Horseradish Association. (What might happen to our insurnace rate??)

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Wasabi Issue

Well, it all started when nobody wanted to pay the price for stock American peppers. so Japanese imports got involved. Nobody said they weren't of highest quality, readily available, and cheap, but they didn't look like peppers. By the time the purists recognized what was happening, they had developed classes of their on and were pretty much in control. In some cases they even took over existing obsolete pepper classes.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And Ron's mention of capsicum triggered a thought for me. The hot in peppers is a mechanical operation. That is, you bite it, chew it and your mouth gets hot. Or you pick it up, chop it up, and scratch your nose, rub your eye, or do something else with another part of your body without washing your hands, and whatever part you touch starts burning. With horseradish, it can be naturally aspirated to start burning. So this complicates matters. How do you compare inhilation fire, with contact fire. Then to complicate matters further, you have capsicum under pressure, i.e. pepper spray. I can see how turbocharged pepper can be declared illegal, but I was wondering about naturally aspirated horseradish and wasabi.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    And Ron's mention of capsicum triggered a thought for me. The hot in peppers is a mechanical operation. That is, you bite it, chew it and your mouth gets hot. Or you pick it up, chop it up, and scratch your nose, rub your eye, or do something else with another part of your body without washing your hands, and whatever part you touch starts burning. With horseradish, it can be naturally aspirated to start burning. So this complicates matters. How do you compare inhilation fire, with contact fire. Then to complicate matters further, you have capsicum under pressure, i.e. pepper spray. I can see how turbocharged pepper can be declared illegal, but I was wondering about naturally aspirated horseradish and wasabi.

Wayne:

Glad you got off your "duff", and decided to participate in this discussion. The reason I suggested your participation was I seem to remember quite a few folks of the opposite sex seemed to think you were quite "Hot Stuff" back in the days before you had to wear a hat all the time, or risk damage to other folks vision.

Anyway, I think you need to reconsider your comment about "turbocharged pepper", as pepper spray could hardly be considered to be turbocharged. I would think if it were to be disqualified, it would be for the reason it wouldfall under the rule prohibiting any fuel that does not exist as a liquid at normal atmospheric pressure, i.e. Nitrous Oxide for example. I am sure you remember the experiment with that product by Harry and I that then resulted in the rule being passed that prohibited it in the PRO category.

Anyway, glad to see you at the keyboard again. The "Baldy" thread is way long overdue for some new posts.

Have a good Holiday.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Holiday??? This Isn't Over Yet!

This is the season for "FOLLY", but these rules need to be straighten out before the 2013 season.

You mention "HARRY" as in Bartolmei? I know "NITRO" turned my 500 CC Konig of Harry's into a fire eating dragon....Pretty sure we had no peppers or horseradish. Pure NITROMethane.

What we need is a "GOOD MEETING" maybe with some chicken and brats and some beers. It is hard to get these rules sorted out over the net.Oh, I forgot, the National Meeting is in Needles, January 19-23, 2013.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RON: I meant "Harry" as in..............................

Pasturczak, or ZAK as he was more well known. He made for me in the late 70's, at my urging, a special "manifold" that fit between the carbs and the rotary valve housing on my C&D Konigs, that allowed me to inject nitrous and also methanol along with it as without extra fuel to take advantage of the oxygen contained in the gas you will quickly (not more than a second or so) lean the mixture out and burn and stick pistons. I just ran across the manifold in a box with some other stuff in the basement the other day. Will try to take a photo of it and post it.

A meeting sounds good, especially if there some beers involved, although my capacity is much greatly decreased from my best years. Any successful organization such as the NPA requires much thought regards the rule making process, both to assure success of the organization, and assure fairness of competition. I have found that some of my best thinking occurs when I am so blasted that I cannot think clearly.

If no rules exist for acid reducers/equalizers/neutralizers, that type regulation would be a must I would think, so as to allow fair competition. Rolaids, as you may well be aware, is now almost a restricted product due to the problems in the Mid-East. Most all supplies have been diverted to the war effort there, and resulting stress on our troups, so some exemption should be made when they are again available on the domestic market. This would assure no one guilty of hoarding would have an unfair advantage until a sufficient supply becomes available for all pepper racers.

This would also assure the makers of TUMS did not enjoy a corner on the market and eliminate price gouging and unfair profit margins for their makers.

I would certainly appreciate Waynes, Russ's and your thoughts about this important addition to the rule book.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at this from my past experiences I would say open rules, with two exceptions. No atmospheric pressurized peppers, and no tractor lower units. Other than that classes can be set up by ranges of hotness. I would also add that people like myself like taste better than how hot a pepper is, that step ups into a hotter class might be allowed in local contests. Not every region can handle HOT as Bill Van might attest.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Looking at this from my past experiences I would say open rules, with two exceptions. No atmospheric pressurized peppers, and no tractor lower units. Other than that classes can be set up by ranges of hotness. I would also add that people like myself like taste better than how hot a pepper is, that step ups into a hotter class might be allowed in local contests. Not every region can handle HOT as Bill Van might attest.

Wayne:

No reason exists for this discussion to become mired in one regions shortcomings versus another's. I refer of course to the comment you made about some regions being able to handle "hot" better than others. If we are going to get down and dirty about this, remember I knew you when you did not have to wear a hat all the time.

Also if there are to be rules regards "step ups", I think it only fair that "step down's" be allowed also. Some of us have digestive tracts more refined and sensitive than others, and that should be taken into account to be fair to all in the rule making process.

One other thought:

What about insurance??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Step Downs....I've Thought About This A Lot

What would suggest in "Step Downs"? If don't finish in the to five, then you could step down, but not get points. This have to go to a "COMMITTEE" and discussed at length. We used to let the top three "Step Up", maybe allowing the bottom three to "Step Down" would be the way. You could mix the pepers...Black pepper and Green Bells would never mix. Having said that, I know my brother, Russ, want no part of Green Bells in NPA, especially no voting rights! There are just too many Green Bells out there, they could take over.

Thread Information