Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding a omc 56ci block

phillnjack

well it seems to me that any of the motors that have these holes will be
    more powerfull once their gone.
    The compression will go up straight away and give more power as also a little more
    fresh juice to burn like fast fred says.
    Seems a strange thing for omce to do to an engine,could understand if it was only done
    on a 50hp and 60hp 3cylinder, and not the 70hp as well.
    But after looking at the parts and other stripped engines its done to all 3 sizes of engine.

I wonder what the actual horsepower will be when holes filled and put on a dyno ?
    and if skim the head as well this engine could be way up in the compression stakes.

Looking at the holes in my pics and without checking it again (too much rain) it looks like
    the fresh fuel is being dumped out of the exhaust and not chucked back into crankcase.
    i could be wrong but will check once i am able to get the garage open when it stops raining.
    if so , then what a waste of power and precious fuel !!!!!!!!!!!

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My 56er is a bridgeport, is a sand cast, started life as a 65 hp commercial and does not have the comp. relieve holes. Unfortunatly I dont have the year ìt was made, I don`t have the model # just the serial #...No problem It's a bridgeport and it's going to get moded and going on a 15" mid. on top of a nitro gearcase, sounds pretty sweet no?

phillnjack

well what mods are gonna be done to it ?
    i want to know what you exactly mean by mod it.
    do you mean your gonna be cleaning up the bad alignment between ports and block ?
    drill the pistons where the bridge is ?
    shave the bridge due to heat etc ?
    or do you have lots of other little goodies lined up for it ?

I had a look at the ports on my spare block and its all lined up real nice, it could do with a bit of polishing in
    the exhaust and intake though.

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phill, I'm doing the finger ports this time around to see what the big fuss is all about. Fast Fred is an advocate for finger ports and I value his and others opinions on this site and then I'm raising the port heights close to the sst60's specs., shaving the heads, CCM fiber reeds and a few more mods that a friend want's to show me.
    Have you had a chance to read the secrets of the mod 50 part 1 and 2? Lots of info.

phillnjack

yeah ive started looking to day at the mod 50 section
    wow

there is so much info and so much of it just goes right over my head.
    not only very technical but the language difference between uk and usa is unbelievable.
    so many different names for different things.

but a very good and interesting read, i shall keep on reading it untill it sinks in my head.

Looked at my rods today and not very good news at all, looks like one of them had big end trouble.
    got to getthe crank out and check it out, if the cranks gone bad and i need 3 rods this might
    cost to much to be a viable project.
    I took the best of the 3 rods and stripped them, boy thats gonna be difficult to put the
    small needle rollers in with my big sausage fingers ha ha

what i did notice is that the rings look like normal rings !!!!! i thought they were supposed to be
    some key stone effort ?????
    is this normal to have just ordinary flat rings ?

phill

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

so, if i had a block with exhaust releaf holes and i was lookin to make it go. i'd take a copper pipe, spank it into a finger to fit behind the hole, shoot the mig wire down the hole, low wire speed with a fair amount of power, try to close the hole just before your in the cyl. the copper pipe acts as a dam for the weld but will not stick do my port setup, then send it to the machine shop.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How big of a deal is it to remove the sleeves? I'm thinking about doing some behind the sleeve port work and cutting the finger ports while the sleeves are out. I'm not happy the way the sleeves are lining up with the ports so seems like a no brainer.
    Mike

phillnjack

thats a good question about removing the sleeves.

mine is ok for lining up of the ports.
    But if the sleeves come out then ill get new sleeves instead of a re-bore
    then i can keep it stock size pistons and rings etc.
    always handy for future bore job.

what sort of prices are the sleeves for these engines ?

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    thats a good question about removing the sleeves.

mine is ok for lining up of the ports.
    But if the sleeves come out then ill get new sleeves instead of a re-bore
    then i can keep it stock size pistons and rings etc.
    always handy for future bore job.

what sort of prices are the sleeves for these engines ?

phill
    I was quoted like like 200 per hole if I needed sleeves and I think people on here have talked about get your wife out the house and put it in the oven and heat it up to 350 and the sleeves come out.

phillnjack

and i take it you have to do the same putting them back in, 350 in the oven

200 per sleeve thats about £120 in english if converting from dollars..not too bad i suppose
    better than scrapping the block if the scores are too deep.
    getting them out is not the problem, its putting them back in that worries me ha ha ,
    need to get it dead right first go i suppose

phill..

Thread Information