Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Race gas ????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris:

In the PRO category where I did all my competitive racing, some of us had a saying that if you were knowledgeable about the "Two P's" you had it 90% of the way to winning. Two P's meaning Pipes (Expansion Chambers) and Props. Your motor I believe, has a "tuner" in the down housing which is similar to the pipes we used to experiment with. Fast Fred has done a lot of work in this area and probably could be of help. Props are another BIG thing to experiment with and test with, as much can be achieved with the right prop and set up. Ron Hill, who of course is the owner of this site, has many years of experience with props and could possibly be of great help to you.

I also just noticed that you are from Covington, the home of Hopkins Propellers. I purchased many very good propellers from Floyd Hopkins who started the business, and who his son, Glen, I believe still operates. Several of the props Floyd furnished me were used to set competition records in the class's I ran in APBA sanctioned racing. If you do not know Glen, perhaps you might want to get acquainted with him as he could probably be of great help, especially if he could find the time (or be paid to) go testing with you and make some changes right on the lake or river bank. You need several things to test props successfully, one of which is a speedometer or GPS, and the other a tachometer so you can see the RPM differences in the props as you both test them and then change the set up (height and kick out or in). You can't really do a good job with out both these instruments to achieve what you are trying for. I suggest Glen because he is right there locally (if still in business) and being his fathers son, I am sure he is knowledgeable about props if he learned 1/10th of what Floyd would have taught him.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    Chris:

In the PRO category where I did all my competitive racing, some of us had a saying that if you were knowledgeable about the "Two P's" you had it 90% of the way to winning. Two P's meaning Pipes (Expansion Chambers) and Props. Your motor I believe, has a "tuner" in the down housing which is similar to the pipes we used to experiment with. Fast Fred has done a lot of work in this area and probably could be of help. Props are another BIG thing to experiment with and test with, as much can be achieved with the right prop and set up. Ron Hill, who of course is the owner of this site, has many years of experience with props and could possibly be of great help to you.

I also just noticed that you are from Covington, the home of Hopkins Propellers. I purchased many very good propellers from Floyd Hopkins who started the business, and who his son, Glen, I believe still operates. Several of the props Floyd furnished me were used to set competition records in the class's I ran in APBA sanctioned racing. If you do not know Glen, perhaps you might want to get acquainted with him as he could probably be of great help, especially if he could find the time (or be paid to) go testing with you and make some changes right on the lake or river bank. You need several things to test props successfully, one of which is a speedometer or GPS, and the other a tachometer so you can see the RPM differences in the props as you both test them and then change the set up (height and kick out or in). You can't really do a good job with out both these instruments to achieve what you are trying for. I suggest Glen because he is right there locally (if still in business) and being his fathers son, I am sure he is knowledgeable about props if he learned 1/10th of what Floyd would have taught him.
    Bill,

Glen Hopkins is about 6 miles from me I plan on going and seeing him this week to talk about some things. I've bought one prop for my fishing motor from him already and yes he knows a lot. He said he had some sst60 specs that would make basically the fishing motor i have I guess perform like the sst60 so that is one thing I'm gonna be asking him about when I see him. Before i do anything to this motor I'm just trying to ask as many questions as I can and sometime the same question over and over till I feel I have gotten a truthful answer because there is so many out there who think they know but don't. I hate to spend a lot of money for nothing to find out later it was a waste, so just trying to educate myself as much as possible but feel what you have told me and other forums i have read now about the avgas that it is probably safe to use in an outboard.

Thanks
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

the first thing i do with a new to me moter, i use a gps,stop watch,along with the tach. i run every prop i can find .i adjust the height of my moter every 1/8 of a inch until i find the best spot. if the bottom of the boat is good. i try one thing at a time either it helps or hurts. guna need a notebook and a pen to keep records. i also have screwed up stuff.. i have found out that a rig set up with a lot test and tuning will out perform most mod moters. i win a lot of races, because i make time to find the best combination. race gas is for race moters, if you not set up for race fuel better run pump gas.. 245 lbs of compression sounds good, lots of time 175 lbs of compression works good also.. race fuel is about $12.50 per gallon down here, cheaper to run the bottle
    out front again

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, I run 87 octain with 170psi and see close to 8000rpm every time out. I don't worry if it is ethanol or not. I do run KLOTZ oil. I think that you are worring about this fuel stuff too much. Build the motor, a head change will be the need for really good gas. I have been through all that, at 170psi I went from 93 to 89 to 87 and gained 300rpm with no ill effects. Build the motor, if you need any help gimmie a call. I just pulled the sleeves out of a 56 OMC so I can build it, nice little motor by the way.
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for thoughts, I just worked on a STOCK 25hp Kolar Pro drive motor. Cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel pump. Just for giggles I checked the compression, 200psi. This motor is 7yrs old and I can assure you it has never seen anything but the cheapest fuel the guy can find.

Post Thanks / Like

Avgas definitely stores better than auto pump gas. I fly aircraft and also race boats in a class called COR (Classic Outboard Runabout). The engines we run start out as 150 hp V-6 Mercs. In race "set-up" we run 25-26 degrees advance ignition, compression is generally close to 150 psi and most of the rrrrr's are around the low 7000's. I run 50 per cent 100 avgas and 50 percent 91 octane mixed with 30 to one oil. I have not had an engine problem and have run some very long races (300 miles) as well as the short course races with no engine problems and very little "wear" on the moving parts. The "guys in the know" tell me I am running too strong on the aviation fuel and recommend I cut it back to 1 gal. av-gas to 4 gals. 91 octane. I know you have a different engine but I'll bet we aren't that far apart on fuel/oil requirements. Rod

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    Chris, I run 87 octain with 170psi and see close to 8000rpm every time out. I don't worry if it is ethanol or not. I do run KLOTZ oil. I think that you are worring about this fuel stuff too much. Build the motor, a head change will be the need for really good gas. I have been through all that, at 170psi I went from 93 to 89 to 87 and gained 300rpm with no ill effects. Build the motor, if you need any help gimmie a call. I just pulled the sleeves out of a 56 OMC so I can build it, nice little motor by the way.
    I know what you mean, I normaly run 91 in my 49 omc w/hypo head but I ran a tank of 87 by mistake and ran my best numbers so far.
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy it's just nice to know about the avgas and other gasolines just in case i may have a problem, nothing wrong with just simply wanting to know.

Thanks
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris3298 View Post
    Thanks guy it's just nice to know about the avgas and other gasolines just in case i may have a problem, nothing wrong with just simply wanting to know.

Thanks
    Chris
    for sure, didn't mean any offense for sure.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 88workcar View Post
    for sure, didn't mean any offense for sure.
    oh no, not at all

Thread Information