Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Winter Nationals: March 2-3, Bakersfield, California

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dan Schwarzenbach Refused to Pay $3.00 ENTRY FEES, Until He Became Commodore

I don't hink it was quite ten years ago, but count the boats, figure the expenses. Joe, you have put on a race or two.....Bakersfield water isn't free, APBA sanctions and insurance aren't free either. Again, Marlee and I penciled in the entries and expenses....at $50 per boat per day, the sponsoring club will lose $5,000 for the weekend.

Let's look at the expenses:

1. PA system $1,000
    2. Ambulance at $100 an hour....$2,000 for two days
    3. Rescue: 4-5 rooms plus fooD, $500 per day, two days $1,000.
    4. APBA INSURNACE AND SANCTIONING FEES: Sanction fees $400...Stock only is $2,400, ADD INBOARD AND OPC around $2,000 more.
    5. Water: $500 A DAY PLUS 10% OF THE ENTRY FEE....($1,000 FOR THE WATER PLUS 10% OF ENTRY FEES ???)
    6. TROPHIES: $1,000
    7. OFFICIALS: $ ZERO???

Now we are at at: $10,500 plus ten per cent of the entry fees. The park collects the motorhome parker fees, so ther eis no profit there.

So:

AXS---8 boats
    ASH--- 10 boats
    20 SS Hydro---5 boats
    C Stock Hydro---6 boats

45 SS 4 boats
    SST 45 6 boats
    COR ---8 boats
    Nostalgia---6 boats
    GN ---8 boats
    Cracker Box 5 boats
    Super Stocks 5 boats' Comp Jet 8 boats
    Pro Stock--- 4 boats

K-Boats ---3 boats.

72 entries per day...or 144 for two days.

This comes out to $72.92 PER BOAT PER DAY. AND THIS IS EXPECTING OUR OFFICIALS TO WORK FOR FREE. AND RESCUE TO WORK FOR ROOM AS I DID NOT INCLUDE THEIR FOOD.

Tell me where my figures are wrong. I feel $100 per boat, class will be needed to break even.

Post Thanks / Like

You are missing my main point. I have put on enough races to know how it works.

My point is very simple:
    $80 per class per day, fine.
    BUT, turn that into $60 per class per day IF PAID IN ADVANCE, for BOTH days.

The people that only run one day do it because of the high entry fee. If you lower it with the gaurentee of running two days instead of one the club comes out ahead.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I don't hink it was quite ten years ago, but count the boats, figure the expenses. Joe, you have put on a race or two.....Bakersfield water isn't free, APBA sanctions and insurance aren't free either. Again, Marlee and I penciled in the entries and expenses....at $50 per boat per day, the sponsoring club will lose $5,000 for the weekend.

Let's look at the expenses:

1. PA system $1,000
    2. Ambulance at $100 an hour....$2,000 for two days
    3. Rescue: 4-5 rooms plus fooD, $500 per day, two days $1,000.
    4. APBA INSURNACE AND SANCTIONING FEES: Sanction fees $400...Stock only is $2,400, ADD INBOARD AND OPC around $2,000 more.
    5. Water: $500 A DAY PLUS 10% OF THE ENTRY FEE....($1,000 FOR THE WATER PLUS 10% OF ENTRY FEES ???)
    6. TROPHIES: $1,000
    7. OFFICIALS: $ ZERO???

Now we are at at: $10,500 plus ten per cent of the entry fees. The park collects the motorhome parker fees, so ther eis no profit there.

So:

AXS---8 boats
    ASH--- 10 boats
    20 SS Hydro---5 boats
    C Stock Hydro---6 boats

45 SS 4 boats
    SST 45 6 boats
    COR ---8 boats
    Nostalgia---6 boats
    GN ---8 boats
    Cracker Box 5 boats
    Super Stocks 5 boats' Comp Jet 8 boats
    Pro Stock--- 4 boats

K-Boats ---3 boats.

72 entries per day...or 144 for two days.

This comes out to $72.92 PER BOAT PER DAY. AND THIS IS EXPECTING OUR OFFICIALS TO WORK FOR FREE. AND RESCUE TO WORK FOR ROOM AS I DID NOT INCLUDE THEIR FOOD.

Tell me where my figures are wrong. I feel $100 per boat, class will be needed to break even.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Joe and have been preaching the same thing, only problem we in R12 have, is water time with 34+ heats without elims. Lower the entree fee's 30% and gain 40% more entries...its easy economics, but restricted with uncontrolables.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Does Lower The Entry Fee Make The Club Money?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe J View Post
    You are missing my main point. I have put on enough races to know how it works.

My point is very simple:
    $80 per class per day, fine.
    BUT, turn that into $60 per class per day IF PAID IN ADVANCE.

The people that only run one day do it because of the high entry fee. If you lower it with the gaurentee of running two days instead of one the club comes out ahead.

Joe
    You have a $10,000 nut to pay....minimum...How does lowering the entry fee by 25% make the club any money? now, if you raised th entry fee to $100 PER CLASS PER DAY, and offered $80 entry fee paid in advance with NO REFUNDS, maybe this would work.

Maybe I'm using Obama Math...but !!

Post Thanks / Like

It's very simple.

$80 per entry=drivers running the winter nationals day ONLY- Total income for the club is $80

$60 per entry if PAID IN ADVANCE FOR BOTH DAYS = $120 per driver for the two days of racing.

The way my math works the clud gains $40 per driver.

You have a $10,000 nut to pay....minimum...How does lowering the entry fee by 25% make the club any money? now, if you raised th entry fee to $100 PER CLASS PER DAY, and offered $80 entry fee paid in advance with NO REFUNDS, maybe this would work.

Maybe I'm using Obama Math...but !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default If You Don't Race Saturday

If you don't race Saturday, and then Sunday gets blow out. Saturday's race WAS the Winter Nationals and YOU didn't race.

You race both days for $80 as day. If Sunday doesn't get blown out, Sunday is the Winter Nationals.

If these rules are stated on the sanction, they are the rules.

What happened at Bakersfield last time, ERoss ran the Winter nationals Saturday, with Sunday a blow out day. All classes ran Saturday. Weather was perfect, everyone (almost) went home Sunday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand those are the rules, and SCSC has every right to use them. I also have every right NOT to attend, based on those same rules.

PERIOD!

By your own admission, most everyone went home Sunday morning. BUT, if the entry fees would have been lower for BOTH days combined, how many of those racers would have stayed and ran? Using my #'s for reference, our trailer alone would have given the club $160 in additional income.

If you don't race Saturday, and then Sunday gets blow out. Saturday's race WAS the Winter Nationals and YOU didn't race.

You race both days for $80 as day. If Sunday doesn't get blown out, Sunday is the Winter Nationals.

What happened at Bakersfield last time, ERoss ran the Winter nationals Saturday, with Sunday a blow out day. All classes ran Saturday. Weather was perfect, everyone (almost) went home Sunday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

"What happened at Bakersfield last time, ERoss ran the Winter nationals Saturday, with Sunday a blow out day. All classes ran Saturday. Weather was perfect, everyone (almost) went home Sunday morning. "

well, that is the racers choice, especially ones that have a 20hr drive home.......forcing people to stay (especially out of region racers) makes it even worse..............sorry, but that happens at all Nationals..............find a sponsor, lower the entry fees and you WILL get more entrys...........I love Bakersfield just as much as the next guy, but knowing it is so expensive to race there, maybe it is time to find somewhere else. I for one, am not going to pay $160 (1 class at $80/day) for a class I would have to bring (DSH)..........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

lower the fees for out of region racers i bet you have more entries personally i would like to see joe and his c hydro race i believe most people think like him why pay the high entry fees rather stay home so i support lowering the fees for out of region racers

Post Thanks / Like

As region 11 often does for us!. The COR boats race in region 11 for 50 dollars and they "love" us and even try to give us some money back. Isleton is a perfect example of "the way boat racing used to be". Good friends, great spectators, great beer, great food, lousy pits, so so race course, but the race committee and the town of Isleton make up for it. Too bad region 11 has the water and we have the boats.

Thread Information