Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fitting low water pick up to outboard engine

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nose cones

Hi Jeoff,

Yeah I noticed a massive diference in a number of ways.

1) without the nose cone I would never be able to run the motor as high as i do and still pick up water (our rules dont allow us to change the factory pick ups) , thats part of the reason the my cone drops lower than centre of prop shaft by 1/2inch to pull more water up, you do need to be carfull doing that though as one of my mates went to far and caused his boat to poupus, he re-shaped and works sweet.

2) I did take the boat out once without the nose cone and experienced bad blow out (if thats where you cant steer and feel where the motor is tracking), I found that the nose cone extends the torpedo of the gear case and helps it to track better, also a little kick on the right trailing edge of the skeg for right turn prop motors helps overcome tourque steer. I will attach a pick, look at the back edge of the skeg-not the best pick.

3) One test day I raised the motor just a 1/4 of an inch and gained 3.75mph.

I here what Geff is saying about under 60mph they dont do much and do agree with him for some boats but with all respect to him I have to disagree as it really depends on the boat, total weight of the rig, how high you want to run your motor and what you are trying to achieve - I am even chasing 1/4mph as that can win a race. I have to agree with Geff again, They do look cool! and I cant resist adding a nose cone to most outboards i have owned - even fishing motors.
    Some picks of other cones I have made- The second pick is the one to look at for the kick on the skeg.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

I forgot to say in regard to set back- a lot of the guys running in the mono hulls at our club have no set back at all and are running the centre of the prop shaft in line with the bottom of the hull (running plank), But like i said earlier we all run our water tell tales up to where we can see to make sure the motor has water.

Looking at your water pick ups I would start with your motor 2 inch below bottom of hull to the centre of prop shaft if you had a nose cone and work up from there and make sure all the time you have water, water, water all the time. You would definately want a different prop, the props with the converging ring at the trailing edge of the hub are like a brake, I attached a pick of a prop I rewoked and put a bell on trailing edge instead of converging ring, and a few more picks I found of nose cones I have done.

Hope this helps
    Glenno
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 51967 easiest way

Post Thanks / Like

easiest wayAttachment 51968

phillnjack

well now im beginning to think the nose cone is a silly idea.
    from what you say, the cone is there to get the gearbox to dig under the little bit of water left and shoot it up the shaft.

other people tell me they fit the cones to help the gearbox get on Top of the water and keep water underneath
    the bullet to let it ride on top of the water .
    so either its for gaining speed by getting the bullet out the water, or losing speed slightly due to digging under the water to make it meet the stock intakes.

it cant be doing both things right and both ways gaining speed, is it quicker or slower !!!!!!

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a good video but you have to turn your head or laptop side ways http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXvi33I0o8 he is running a nose cone and actually has a piece of tubing on the transom to suck up water. This guy has said he runs his motor higher up the what a lwp would do. This is a good video to see whats going on.

phillnjack

well in the video above he is not that high at all.
    he is only running with the cav plate about 2 inches above the water.

he says he is running 3.75 up, but being as he is using a jack plate as well ,he is only about 1 inch higher than me.
    mine is running with the cav plate above water line and im just on the top hole with no jack plate and no setback.

he is nowhere near running on the cone, so i dont see how he could lose water pressure.
    The bullet on his engine is completely submerged, not even a glimps of it.

I noticed he has a nosecone, and it looks like they make a realy big splash, a lot more than the normal bullet.

so whats the advantage of these cones ? im begginning to think they are just a gimic that dont realy work.
    if they cause the water to go up the gearcase and away from the prop then they are obviously diverting water away from the prop .
    this would mean less thrust due to less water at the prop.
    If they are helping to raise the engine then they would not help with water flow due to the cone pressing down on the water. !!!!!!!!!!!

now the vid above shows a jack plate with setback,nosecone, and a hydrofoil and he still only gets 70mph on
    a 13ft lightweight raceboat with a 130hp engine.

something dont sound right, how comke all these race improvements yet not much speed.
    I could get that on my dory with 130hp engine let alone a racing boat.

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    well in the video above he is not that high at all.
    he is only running with the cav plate about 2 inches above the water.

he says he is running 3.75 up, but being as he is using a jack plate as well ,he is only about 1 inch higher than me.
    mine is running with the cav plate above water line and im just on the top hole with no jack plate and no setback.

he is nowhere near running on the cone, so i dont see how he could lose water pressure.
    The bullet on his engine is completely submerged, not even a glimps of it.

I noticed he has a nosecone, and it looks like they make a realy big splash, a lot more than the normal bullet.

so whats the advantage of these cones ? im begginning to think they are just a gimic that dont realy work.
    if they cause the water to go up the gearcase and away from the prop then they are obviously diverting water away from the prop .
    this would mean less thrust due to less water at the prop.
    If they are helping to raise the engine then they would not help with water flow due to the cone pressing down on the water. !!!!!!!!!!!

now the vid above shows a jack plate with setback,nosecone, and a hydrofoil and he still only gets 70mph on
    a 13ft lightweight raceboat with a 130hp engine.

something dont sound right, how comke all these race improvements yet not much speed.
    I could get that on my dory with 130hp engine let alone a racing boat.

phill

You might want to put some spectecles on and watch the video again

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamato Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    Gotta admit, they look cool! As I understand it, below 60 mph or so they don't do much. Furthermore, the Yamatos never used a 'bullet' and are certainly competitive.

Jeff
    Most of the guys do shape the Yamato gear cases but we aren't allowed to add a bullet in stock, however in Mod we can. This is what is usually done. I found it makes for quicker turn in on the corners.
    Name:  Foot.jpg
Views: 3199
Size:  210.2 KB

kk

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I definately dont run extra pick ups, I would be disqualified, the scruteneers would see it strait away.

yes the cone is to pick water up but the speed is gained by reducing the amount of gear case that runs through the water (dont think of it digging down) and also getting the prop to surface pierce. If you can get the prop to run 1/2 out of the water you can run a much heigher pitch wich usualy = more speed.

Glenno

Thread Information