Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer bulbs are over rated

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Primer bulbs are over rated

Well its a long story, but I own a 1980 175 Merc, that for 10 years didn't really run right. It would run out of fuel at lower rpm's

Here's what I did in order to try and fix it over the last ten years.
    Change primer bulb
    Rebuilt fuel pump
    Tried external fuel tank
    Cut open my inboard fuel tank to see if I had an anti-syphon device, none
    Fule pick-up fine
    change fuel line
    rebuilt fuel pump again
    change primer bulb again
    put clear fuel lines between primer bulb and fuel pump, and fuel pump and carbs
    no bubbles between primer bulb and fuel pump
    small bubbles would develolpe inside fuel pump, and start coming out of top carb line, then a rush of air starting from the upper, and middle carb would happen, going in the direction, carb to fuel pump. This takes 30 seconds to happen.
    I go locate a used fuel pump, since at this point I think the fuel pump is porous, I rebuild it, put it on, and the same exact thing happens.

I throw my hands in the air and start cursing, not at anyone or thing, and I am ready to give up. It's been ten years, and I still don't have the !@#$#@ motor running right, it won't idle, and I need to go trolling to catch a record muskie already.

I am staring at the primer bulb....again....and a voice pops into my head, and says take the primer bulb off completely, so I argue with the voice and say, that makes no sense, then the voice says try it, you might learn something (lol) so I take it out.

Bingo, the motor starts right up every time, idles like a champion, and I picked up 200 rpms on the top end, which means I was probably running lean. Even if the fuel pump is dry, and carbs are dry, and fuel lines are empty, it only takes 4 seconds of cranking to fill the lines and have the motor start. I have run 90 gallons of fuel through it since then, and it runs perfect.

I still haven't caught the muskie yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting...

This "no primer bulb" setup reminds me of the pressurized systems the PRO catagory uses. One of the pit crew would open a valve and blow into a hose to force fuel into the carbs. Then close the valve while holding pressure in the hose, thus leaving a little pressure in the system. Once the engine was running, it could take care of the tank pressurization on it's own.

I am very suprised it only takes 4 seconds of cranking to get fuel all the way to your carbs! I guess I learned something too.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

we borrowed a tank a beloit thanks Fred ( i left mine hanging on the wall at the shop @#@@#$%%#@) it had no bulb i just blew on the filler hole untill fuel got to the fitting on the motor . this seeemed to work fine
    good luck on the muskie

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I understnad what you guys are saying, but just to clear things up, my tank is not a pressurized tank. So the fuel pump can bring the fuel up to the engine very easily on its own, especially when it doesn't have to overcome the 2 anti-siphon valves/check valves in your primer bulb.

Right after that, my nieghbor tells me he only squeezes his primer bulb once a year, after that he just goes down and starts it.

The primer bulb to me is a restriction. At one point I was going to put 2 tees and a shut-off in the line to isolate the primer bulb for priming, then open the shut-off, and the fuel can go right in without having to go through the primer bulb, but I see no need for it since it is working like a charm.

This might not work as well for motors that do not have choke plates, and use a fuel richening device, but then you could use the 2 tee, shut-off method. With the choke plate engaged, and fuel pump pumping, the fuel will fill the carbs in seconds, even if it is dry. Most of the time the fuel left in the carbs is enough to start the engine. I do have a brand new primer bulb on-board in a box, just in case I am wrong about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Look Ma...no bulbs!

Quote Originally Posted by kws
    it had no bulb i just blew on the filler hole untill fuel got to the fitting on the motor . this seeemed to work fine
    I'm sure Kevin is not running a pressurized tank either. He just wanted to save some engine cranking, Manual start ya know.

Hey Kevin, Did you go to the Annual Saybrook invitational Boat races? How about an update?
    I was invited, but couldn't go.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

the turn out was really down from the year you went. there were only 2 open boats (Gene and I ) . The ConnocoPhillips Crew didnt attend with the exeption of Greg, he was there as a spectator. I asked that they announce any expereienced boater could run my boat ,only 2 takers one was my sister the other another brother of mine. order of finnishing was :
    OPEN CLASS
    Gene Schertz 1 min 48 sec
    Kevin Schertz 1 min 49 sec
    Steve Schertz 1 min 52 sec
    Tara Kirkpatrick 2 min plus
    fishing boat class ran, there were 5 entrys i believe.
    the 2 person class had 5 or 6 entrys. but that really neat 2 person boat was a noshow ( the owners have been frustated in open class as they dont have a race foot .I told them they could use one of ours.they decided to just watch and drink this year) although they completely domminated the 2 person class for like 4 years
    Darrel Tipsord and a couple of friends cooked food for EVERYONE !

Marty really strerched the course out on that little pit. effectivly made it a 4 corner course. plus all laps went thru the starting shoot instead of first and last laps. No one flipped on the right hand corner
    Marty let Gene and i go out together for a run to let people watch 2 boats run side by side the spectators really liked that
    We missed you and your wife hope you can attend next year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kws
    Gene Schertz 1 min 48 sec
    Thanks for the update Kevin. Maybe this winter or next spring we can get a new thread started on this subject. It's sure a great way to have some fun racing!
    I remember my KG-4 ran 1min 44sec down there. But that was on the old course configuration. I'd love to come down and do it again! I think I can get thru that right hand turn a little quicker next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jeff55vDSH; 09-19-2005 at 09:04 AM. Reason: larger pic
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that a vintage hydroplane?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage?

Is it a vintage hydro? Kinda. It was built by my friend Jim Folkerson. Jim made it for his daughter who raced it very successfully. The boat is light and handles very well. It still has "Merry Christmas '85" painted on the dash.
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's cool looking, and my KE7 would look great on it. Where could I get plans for one?

Thread Information