Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Havasu Outboard World Championship 1968

Post Thanks / Like

Default Havasu Outboard World Championship 1968

Havasu Outboard World Championship, 128 boats, 1968, my boat, Fred Hauenstein, Jr. at the wheel! We were fast the first two hours, until the tuned pipes melted my wires.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a nice picture Ron..get that new scanner going now..!!
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 51912

Power Boat Magazine Aug' 1967 article & Switzer Craft picture.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to go back to the 2nd post with the standings for 1971 I was 17 or 18 and I had opinions of my faviorte driveres
    #3 finisher boat #101
    Herold Eis
    Topeka Kns
    Eis Super Cat
    2 Mercs
    This guy knew his **** Working off a Style Craft (Earl and June Palmer design) He took it to new hieght's Cats were pretty much done in by tunnels but this guy was a diehard cat guy. He could make a cat fly and had the balls to drive it I was 17 or 18 at the time and he was my hero. I think he even won a couple before 1971 They don't make men like that anymore I was wondering around the pits a couple years back thinking it was about 1968 His camper was parked next to my favorite boat Salty Cat I have set here for 2 hrs and I can't remember who drove it. maybe (keys) but Herolds wife came out of the camper yelled at him to offer me 1/2 his sandwhich he looked at me and held out a half sandwhich "here you go kid " his wife went back in the camper and brought a 8oz coke in a bottle iced cold,she also brought a freash boligna sandwich out for Herold we talked for 1/2 hour or so After we finished he ask who my money was on I told him Salty Cat He looked at me and winked "OH I GOT HIM COVERED " Later in life I learned if someone winks and tells you something put money on it
    Likes BarbaraEisMcGoyne liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

#77 Mike Wallace
    I hated this guy He had jumped from the inboard class to the outboard class Yea he had won a couple of races What makes him think he could drive a outboard Boy was I wrong He could drive anything they could wedge him in I rembemer the year he drove with Michael Regan they were camped next to us in tents My mom was up at 6:00 cooking breakfast Mike smelled frying bacon walked over and told my mom that smells pretty good I looked at him and thought your dad is the govenor of Calif and you look like this Well my mom always fed stray dead dogs So she invites him for breakfast Through out the years Mike and I rubbed sholders with Mike he always held my mom in very high respect when they asked about me his only coment was "he came from a great mother that can cook one hell of a breakfast on a campstove" I think the best I can rember it was the 1966 1967 Salton Sea 500 I latter worked with Mike at Harrison Boats in Santa Ana at the same time so did Jim Mcallwaine and Eddie Marinienze

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did Earl Palmer Design The Style Craft?

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleeagle View Post
    You'll have to go back to the 2nd post with the standings for 1971 I was 17 or 18 and I had opinions of my faviorte driveres
    #3 finisher boat #101
    Herold Eis
    Topeka Kns
    Eis Super Cat
    2 Mercs
    This guy knew his **** Working off a Style Craft (Earl and June Palmer design) He took it to new hieght's Cats were pretty much done in by tunnels but this guy was a diehard cat guy. He could make a cat fly and had the balls to drive it I was 17 or 18 at the time and he was my hero. I think he even won a couple before 1971 They don't make men like that anymore I was wondering around the pits a couple years back thinking it was about 1968 His camper was parked next to my favorite boat Salty Cat I have set here for 2 hrs and I can't remember who drove it. maybe (keys) but Herolds wife came out of the camper yelled at him to offer me 1/2 his sandwhich he looked at me and held out a half sandwhich "here you go kid " his wife went back in the camper and brought a 8oz coke in a bottle iced cold,she also brought a freash boligna sandwich out for Herold we talked for 1/2 hour or so After we finished he ask who my money was on I told him Salty Cat He looked at me and winked "OH I GOT HIM COVERED " Later in life I learned if someone winks and tells you something put money on it
    Earl and June were really good people, but I thought the Style Craft was a copy of the Power Cat. I don't remember completely, but did Earl run WOA which was backed by McCullough Outboards?

I have opinions of Mike Wallace but on a scale of 1-10, Mike is really a TEN (10). His old man was a TWENTY (20).

Post Thanks / Like

The awnser to the question is NO Earl didnot design the hull for the cat but he did design the wood cabover deck. I was there the day that we unloaded the 15 ft and the 18 ft mold for the cat he bought them from Super Cat. Earl did make some changes to the molds. He teamed up with Jack Oxley and Jack had the first one out of the mold. I helped Earl build the deck by holding thing in place and handing him tools. I also helped rig that boat as I was small enough to get into the tight places under deck. At the first test run in long beach harbor ( the Queen Mary is they now) the boat was much faster the we thought.

As for the Herold Eis boat Earl sold him the first open cock pit race boat that we built and after he won Havasu the first time he and Earl had a falling out and Herold changed the name of his boat to Eis Super Cat. That is as close as I can recall. You are right about him driving the s*** out of the cats. He also had his S*** together his trailer had a refueling rig on top and spare motors on the side that he could change out in under 10 min.

The WOA was backed by McCulloch for the Havasu race but for the rest of the time I do not think so.

If you look at my avatr you will see one of the stock deck boats I have it for sale as I am moving and can not that it with me. I have also attach a flyer for the boats and a photo of Jack winning the Salton Sea race

Name:  STYLECRAFT PRICE SHEET.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  272.1 KBName:  STYLECRAFT WINNING SALTON SEA.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  111.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I knew the Stylecraft was not a copy of the Power Cat but I did not know Earl used a Super Cat hull to build from. I see the resemblance, especially the pronounced spray rail as it makes the sweep to the bow. Viking Super Cat was made in Azusa California (photo iincluded).
    Harold Eis and his ability to get superior performance out of what most people considered obsolete equipment always amazes me. When
    you watch the videos of Havasu into the early 70's you see him still running competitively alongside Switzer Wings, Molinair Tunnels, and multi
    step hydros with his traditional catamaran hull, and no factory motor sponsorship.
    Thanks for the new information,
    Danny Leger
    Austin, Texas

Name:  supercat043.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  64.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by fredbear624 View Post
    The awnser to the question is NO Earl didnot design the hull for the cat but he did design the wood cabover deck. I was there the day that we unloaded the 15 ft and the 18 ft mold for the cat he bought them from Super Cat. Earl did make some changes to the molds. He teamed up with Jack Oxley and Jack had the first one out of the mold. I helped Earl build the deck by holding thing in place and handing him tools. I also helped rig that boat as I was small enough to get into the tight places under deck. At the first test run in long beach harbor ( the Queen Mary is they now) the boat was much faster the we thought.

As for the Herold Eis boat Earl sold him the first open cock pit race boat that we built and after he won Havasu the first time he and Earl had a falling out and Herold changed the name of his boat to Eis Super Cat. That is as close as I can recall. You are right about him driving the s*** out of the cats. He also had his S*** together his trailer had a refueling rig on top and spare motors on the side that he could change out in under 10 min.

The WOA was backed by McCulloch for the Havasu race but for the rest of the time I do not think so.

If you look at my avatr you will see one of the stock deck boats I have it for sale as I am moving and can not that it with me. I have also attach a flyer for the boats and a photo of Jack winning the Salton Sea race

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My partner in Double Eagle Boats was a guy named Bill Whitney. Bill worked for Powercat boats about the time they switched from wood to glass He worked out in the shop nailing bottoms on jigs. He was life long friends with Jimmy Parker (Parker tower housing) and Dave Bell also a employee with powercat boats. Dave Bell was a great wood worker and was involved with the plugs for powercat Bill was a kid in the shop nailing bottoms on I do'nt think Jimmy ever worked for powercat but his parents owened Cataina Sporting Goods a dealer for powercat Bill cuts a deal with Ray Ledeger to b auild a 13' cat. They know they do'nt have motors to hang on the back Jimmy knows where theres a **** pot of motors (Catlina Sporting Goods ) Now Jimmys parents had thrown him out of the shop about a year or so ago but he still knew how to get in the back door. They would sneek it on Friday pull a couple of marc 58's out the boxs hang them on the back of the cat Go racing Sat and Sun and have them back in the box Mon before the doors opened

Thread Information