Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Composite Craft F4s Testing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    31M is the old F3 engine
    We have as entry classes GT-Pro (45-48 mph) and Sport C (55-60 mph).
    We also have SST45 as entry class for the more bold. Our son Hans (21) and two 16 year
    old girls have started cold in SST45 in 2012-13. None of these classes
    costs a fortunate to run. SST45 props are $400 each from David Dewald, I don't charge much to rework them
    but am losing interest in reworking them since Hans is now running.
    SST60 is an 80 mph class. Competitive props cost at least $1000 each if you can find them.
    I'm going to offer 6 reworked Booe props for that class this spring. We don't need another class between Sport C and SST60, we need
    a replacement (at 80 mph or better) for SST60 because the motors and parts are too hard to find.
    F4S at 65 or even (with a new motor) 70 mph is not a replacement, either Sport C or SST45
    is a better choice. F4S is pretty boring to watch, it will not attract spectators.
    SeaWay is making some parts for the SST45 motors, and fishing motor
    powerheads (OMC 40/45/48/50/55/60 hp) are available and convertible. I just bought 3 fishing powerheads
    for SST45. A forthcoming article on the OMC 2 cyl. looper in the April 2013 Antique Outboarder focuses
    on the SST45 motor. What's drying up is the nr. machine shops able and willing to
    bring an OMC 2 cyl. looper up to SST45 specs. I for one am not going to support a class
    using 4 stroke outboards in the U.S. The EU, silly as it is and sure to implode (Germany is not going to
    pay taxes to cover budget deficits in Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy ....), has killed 2 stroke motors in
    Europe. The E-Tec passes EU emissions standards, is even allowed on Bodensee. The only reason
    for the 4 stroke dogs of motors in Europe is the inability of Mercury and the Japanese to build
    a 2 stroke that meets EU emissions standards. Why bring the silly problems instigated by the bureaucratic, undemocratic EU to American
    boat racing? SeaWay needs to combine with a foundry and produce not only the Johnson V-6 looper (see below, OMC prop reworked by McCauleyandSon, by the way) but also SST45 and 60 motors.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    We have as entry classes GT-Pro (45-48 mph) and Sport C (55-60 mph).
    We also have SST45 as entry class for the more bold. Our son Hans (21) and two 16 year
    old girls have started cold in SST45 in 2012-13. None of these classes
    costs a fortunate to run. SST45 props are $400 each from David Dewald, I don't charge much to rework them
    but am losing interest in reworking them since Hans is now running.
    SST60 is an 80 mph class. Competitive props cost at least $1000 each if you can find them.
    I'm going to offer 6 reworked Booe props for that class this spring. We don't need another class between Sport C and SST60, we need
    a replacement (at 80 mph or better) for SST60 because the motors and parts are too hard to find.
    F4S at 65 or even (with a new motor) 70 mph is not a replacement, either Sport C or SST45
    is a better choice. F4S is pretty boring to watch, it will not attract spectators.
    SeaWay is making some parts for the SST45 motors, and fishing motor
    powerheads (OMC 40/45/48/50/55/60 hp) are available and convertible. I just bought 3 fishing powerheads
    for SST45. A forthcoming article on the OMC 2 cyl. looper in the April 2013 Antique Outboarder focuses
    on the SST45 motor. What's drying up is the nr. machine shops able and willing to
    bring an OMC 2 cyl. looper up to SST45 specs. I for one am not going to support a class
    using 4 stroke outboards in the U.S. The EU, silly as it is and sure to implode (Germany is not going to
    pay taxes to cover budget deficits in Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy ....), has killed 2 stroke motors in
    Europe. The E-Tec passes EU emissions standards, is even allowed on Bodensee. The only reason
    for the 4 stroke dogs of motors in Europe is the inability of Mercury and the Japanese to build
    a 2 stroke that meets EU emissions standards. Why bring the silly problems instigated by the bureaucratic, undemocratic EU to America?
    I run and build sst45 boats and love the class. You can run it anywhere in the us and seaway currently has NEW complete towerhousing,gearcase,cowl and pan sets, and i working on new powerheads. The f4s project i am working on is for an overseas team that i work for. They run it on the f1h2o circuit and i was doing some r and d for them. This has nothing to do with APBA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 45sst45 View Post
    I run and build sst45 boats and love the class. You can run it anywhere in the us and seaway currently has NEW complete towerhousing,gearcase,cowl and pan sets, and i working on new powerheads. The f4s project i am working on is for an overseas team that i work for. They run it on the f1h2o circuit and i was doing some r and d for them. This has nothing to do with APBA.
    Glad to hear that! But I also think it's important that we understand why that particular class exists there in order not to get led into it here. The move to push 4 stroke motors
    in Europe is very, very strong. Dealers for Suzuki etc lie and tell customers that 2 stroke motors will soon be banned altogether, I've heard it from dealers in Germany
    multiple times. That, in spite of the fact that the E-Tec is cleaner that the 4 strokes and passes EU emissions standards. On cleanliness: the new F4S Mercury/Tohatsu
    motor that I worked with in Aug. was leaking oil from near the filter, a high crime in Germany.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

RJ do you think this rig could compete with a sst 45 rig? If not were does it need to improve ? This is interesting & long overdew.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave hensel View Post
    RJ do you think this rig could compete with a sst 45 rig? If not were does it need to improve ? This is interesting & long overdew.
    Dave, after about 50 yards it pulls pretty well compared to a 45 but to get to 68mph it takes a little longer. On a 35 second course i am running around 68 to 70 mph in my 45 whereas the 60 runs that top end on a 45 second course. i dont know where you can even it up through and around the turns with the extra 100lbs on the transom. But its not a bad ride... it exceeded my expectations for the motor/boat combination.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Looks Pretty Stable

Quote Originally Posted by 45sst45 View Post
    Dave, after about 50 yards it pulls pretty well compared to a 45 but to get to 68mph it takes a little longer. On a 35 second course i am running around 68 to 70 mph in my 45 whereas the 60 runs that top end on a 45 second course. i dont know where you can even it up through and around the turns with the extra 100lbs on the transom. But its not a bad ride... it exceeded my expectations for the motor/boat combination.
    RJ, a couple of questions here:

1. Is there a 60 Short Shaft?
    2. Is this, in fact, a production motor? Or does it come from Mercury Racing?
    3. From your testing, do you fel we could run 45 SS and Formula 44 on the same course at the same time (Scored separately of course).
    4. Any thoughts on the Four Stroke power curve or performance?

Chad and I watched the You Tube video, it looked like the boat cornered pretty well, no real sign of it being top heavy. What's you thought?
    It also looked like it was les "Twitching" for blowing over...

Last question: Is this Warren's boat????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    RJ, a couple of questions here:

1. Is there a 60 Short Shaft?
    2. Is this, in fact, a production motor? Or does it come from Mercury Racing?
    3. From your testing, do you fel we could run 45 SS and Formula 44 on the same course at the same time (Scored separately of course).
    4. Any thoughts on the Four Stroke power curve or performance?

Chad and I watched the You Tube video, it looked like the boat cornered pretty well, no real sign of it being top heavy. What's you thought?
    It also looked like it was les "Twitching" for blowing over...

Last question: Is this Warren's boat????
    It's a shortshaft Tohatsu from Mercury racing and any F4S driver in Europe would probably trade in
    second for an SST45 motor. They look and sound like fishing boats taking off. Yawn.

Berlin, ADAC Bootzentrum an der Havel, last August. Dewald 11 3/4" prop (someone
    trimmed it down from larger dia., unfortunately) in photo 3. 11" dia. piece of crap in photo 2.

Forgot. You'd like the boat launching method. The wife holds the rope as the frame rolls down
    the ramp then yanks it as the boat slides off into the water. Getting the sob out again takes
    more than 1 Fraupower of effort. Especially as the ramp is covered with algae.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

the 40-60 4cyl 4stroke is NOT made by Tohatsu................it is a Mercury, made in their China plant.......
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is This 60 Mercury a Production Motor?

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    the 40-60 4cyl 4stroke is NOT made by Tohatsu................it is a Mercury, made in their China plant.......
    I heard this motor was a 40 gearcase on a 0 powerhead. Is this motor a Production motor? And is their a Short Shaft 60 HP for 2013?

Thanks, Mercguy!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    It's a shortshaft Tohatsu from Mercury racing and any F4S driver in Europe would probably trade in
    second for an SST45 motor. They look and sound like fishing boats taking off. Yawn.

Berlin, ADAC Bootzentrum an der Havel, last August. Dewald 11 3/4" prop (someone
    trimmed it down from larger dia., unfortunately) in photo 3. 11" dia. piece of crap in photo 2.

Forgot. You'd like the boat launching method. The wife holds the rope as the frame rolls down
    the ramp then yanks it as the boat slides off into the water. Getting the sob out again takes
    more than 1 Fraupower of effort. Especially as the ramp is covered with algae.
    True, they dont sound very cool but I have raced alot of 45 and quite a bit of sportc also. In my opinion the sst 45 is definetly a funner ride for myself however, the 60 was alot better than a sport c. It accelerated much better, had quite a bit more top end but also a much higher price tag. The boat was very stable in the corners and i tried to spin it out and it wouldnt do it. It could be run with the 45's i suppose but wouldnt be very competitive, especially on short course and lemans start. The boat wasnt as twitchy as a 45 and was very responsive to trim compared to the sport c.

Thread Information