Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Composite Craft F4s Testing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I heard this motor was a 40 gearcase on a 0 powerhead. Is this motor a Production motor? And is their a Short Shaft 60 HP for 2013?

Thanks, Mercguy!
    here ya go Ron.......yes, production short shaft..........

http://mercuryracing.com/outboards/60efiformularace.php
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    RJ, a couple of questions here:

1. Is there a 60 Short Shaft?
    2. Is this, in fact, a production motor? Or does it come from Mercury Racing?
    3. From your testing, do you fel we could run 45 SS and Formula 44 on the same course at the same time (Scored separately of course).
    4. Any thoughts on the Four Stroke power curve or performance?

Chad and I watched the You Tube video, it looked like the boat cornered pretty well, no real sign of it being top heavy. What's you thought?
    It also looked like it was les "Twitching" for blowing over...

Last question: Is this Warren's boat????
    Answered a few of your questions at the end of page two. Forgot one, yes this is warrrens brand new boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Run With" I Meant...

Quote Originally Posted by 45sst45 View Post
    True, they dont sound very cool but I have raced alot of 45 and quite a bit of sportc also. In my opinion the sst 45 is definetly a funner ride for myself however, the 60 was alot better than a sport c. It accelerated much better, had quite a bit more top end but also a much higher price tag. The boat was very stable in the corners and i tried to spin it out and it wouldnt do it. It could be run with the 45's i suppose but wouldnt be very competitive, especially on short course and lemans start. The boat wasnt as twitchy as a 45 and was very responsive to trim compared to the sport c.
    When I said, "Runwith", I meant would everything be "COOL" if the 45's and F4's raced on the same curse at the same time. My thinking was, that if we had like two F4's would it be OK to race them with the 45's or did you see a problem there???

I didn't mean that they'd "race" each other...

I was surprised that the boat was that stable...

This was a total "SHOCKER" THAT THIS WAS WARREN'S NEW BOAT...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, they could run together without issues .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rj the weight on the back was very evident in the video. I too was very impressed how it ran. It looked like you were running a 20" shaft & jack plate to mount the motor on is that correct? The LU also looked low in the water. I understand this was just a test maybe 1st but do you think a water pick up on the boat would help. I agree the dock start may be to much to overcame & 10 second is a long way off. It would be nice to have (options) for current class"s then to make new class"s. Great job.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave hensel View Post
    Rj the weight on the back was very evident in the video. I too was very impressed how it ran. It looked like you were running a 20" shaft & jack plate to mount the motor on is that correct? The LU also looked low in the water. I understand this was just a test maybe 1st but do you think a water pick up on the boat would help. I agree the dock start may be to much to overcame & 10 second is a long way off. It would be nice to have (options) for current class"s then to make new class"s. Great job.
    The unit is low in the water sitting still but at speed it rides on the bullet of the gearcase. We plugged the top few water pick up holes so it wouldnt aireate. We went up with the motor until the performance started getting worse and never ran out of water. We have done some testing with the external water pick up and fount it was no faster on top end and actually hurt it on the low end and upset the boat by dragging the tail down a little. We have another prop on the way and going to make some mild alerations to the boat to help carry the rear a little and hopefully break 70 with ok acceleration!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

unboxed such a formula race 60 today,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobil1 View Post
    unboxed such a formula race 60 today,

Here are two motors. One is a Tohatsu made in China, a heavy, tall 4 stroke. The boats run about 65 mph,kilo record is around 69 mph.
    The other is made (cast, machined) by SeaWay Marine in Seattle, is a light, short 2 stroke. The boats run about 72 mph, the kilo record is close
    to 80 mph. For the latter outboard, fishing motor powerheads 40-60hp 1980-85 are readily available in the U.S. for conversion to racing.
    Both motors represent entry-level classes. Which motor would you prefer to run?

Note added. For the one motor, Mercury makes a 12x22 hubbed cleaver (hubs are MANDATED by UIM) that the drivers whittle down
    to a ridiculous 11-11 1/2" and leave the pitch alone to avoid hitting the 6200 RPM rev limiter.
    For the other motor, props are available from Dewald for $400, and the motors turn 7300-8000 RPM.
    Which motor, as spectator, would you rather hear on the race course, a fishing motor sound or a
    racing motor sound?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    Here are two motors. One is a Tohatsu made in China, a heavy, tall 4 stroke. The boats run about 65 mph,kilo record is around 69 mph.
    The other is made (cast, machined) by SeaWay Marine in Seattle, is a light, short 2 stroke. The boats run about 72 mph, the kilo record is close
    to 80 mph. For the latter outboard, fishing motor powerheads 40-60hp 1980-85 are readily available in the U.S. for conversion to racing.
    Both motors represent entry-level classes. Which motor would you prefer to run?

Note added. For the one motor, Mercury makes a 12x22 hubbed cleaver (hubs are MANDATED by UIM) that the drivers whittle down
    to a ridiculous 11-11 1/2" and leave the pitch alone to avoid hitting the 6200 RPM rev limiter.
    For the other motor, props are available from Dewald for $400, and the motors turn 7300-8000 RPM.
    Which motor, as spectator, would you rather hear on the race course, a fishing motor sound or a
    racing motor sound?
    joe this mercury has to be a race motor (it says race on the side) mercury would not lie would they?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can You Buy One of These Formula Raace Mercury Motors?

I heard APBA had some, but they sold them for $5,000 each. Anyone know if Mercury has these motors in stock and how much do they cost?

Thread Information