Quote Originally Posted by Emustard View Post
JohnsonM50 what kind of compression do you get with that performance head?

The aluminum sticks a little to the water but not bad. I have played around with the weight in the boat and trimming it and still think I need it up higher but will have to wait till the ice goes away. I use this engine almost every weekend for fishing so would like to keep the stock lower unit.

So I replace the OMC steel reed with boyesen reeds do you think I should switch back to the steel reeds? I heard some one say you should take out your water pump and you will gain 3-7 hp what are your thoughts on this, is it true if I can still cool the engine.

I’m just looking to get into the 40s with her and need help getting there.
I left out the fundamentals. You can't jack the motor up and prop it unless the
bottom is smooth and straight to within a few thousandths of an inch. Any hook or rocker and
you're dead. Smooth al won't drag more than any other smooth surface (water sticks to all surfaces and
drags the first monolayer, which drags the 2nd and so on), and by smooth I mean gelcoat
or gray primer on gel coat. Trailering picks up oil from the road, the bottom must be cleaned
regularly as well if you trailer it. There are a lot of details that have to be right before even a fast
boat can be made to run up to its potential.