Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Harlan Orrin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harlan Orrin

HAPPY NEW YEAR RON AND FRIENDS.
    Restorations have slowed down. 2 years ago I built a wood deck on a 1965 Stevens, and built a new wood deck on a 1965 Rayson Craft GREMLIN, for the original owner family.
    I am still waiting for THE MISS MARINE WORLD endurance Rayson Craft early 1960s, for a wood deck, and a late '60s Sanger Catalina, for a wood deck. Yesterday I got confirmation that a wood Molinari/ Scotti has arrived in Phoenix. It will be here soon for hull restoration, a new transom, wood deck, and cowling.

Harlan Orrin

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished the restoration on the mid '60s Molinari. I rebuilt the 3 transoms and rebuilt the cockpit side rails to the transoms. The starboard deck foreward was repaired. I built a plug for a new rear cowling.
    The Sanger Catalina will be in for a new wood deck next.
    The MISS MARINE WORLD hull has been repaired. I will then get it to build a new deck. I do not know if it will get a WWII Ford tank engine or 2 427 FE Ford engines.
    I may get a wood Power Cat for a new deck after these inboards. This boat was a Bellflower built boat.
    I may also get a 19' 1963 Sanger Hydroplane for a wood deck.
    It looks like we may have to put off vacationing for the summer.
    HARLAN ORRIN

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan View Post
    I finished the restoration on the mid '60s Molinari. I rebuilt the 3 transoms and rebuilt the cockpit side rails to the transoms. The starboard deck foreward was repaired. I built a plug for a new rear cowling.
    The Sanger Catalina will be in for a new wood deck next.
    The MISS MARINE WORLD hull has been repaired. I will then get it to build a new deck. I do not know if it will get a WWII Ford tank engine or 2 427 FE Ford engines.
    I may get a wood Power Cat for a new deck after these inboards. This boat was a Bellflower built boat.
    I may also get a 19' 1963 Sanger Hydroplane for a wood deck.
    It looks like we may have to put off vacationing for the summer.
    HARLAN ORRIN
    Harlan,

where are you doing all this work? i would sure like to see some of the work in process. and ask you some questions about some of the boats that my dad had at speed & marine.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Fallbrook CA, west of Temecula, in a avocado grove.
    When I worked at Sanger Boats, I built a 19' v-drive tunnel boat. When your family came to pickup a boat they saw the tunnel. They made a deal with Jack Davidson to install their 426" Webber carburated Chrysler Hemi in the tunnel to run the Lake Elsinore 500 mi. enduro. On Sunday while running in the top 10 the prop shaft left, with the prop. I had to push a rope back to the beach.
    HARLAN ORRIN

Post Thanks / Like

Harlan- can you post a picture or 2 of the molinari tunnel now that you have done the work- I would love to see it now

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wood decks

Last week Stu Sutherland picked up the Sanger Mini Cruiser for the owner. Stu refinished the hull interior. He will now finish the wood deck. This may be the only Sanger Mini with a wood deck.
    Today Ron Mobley brought his MISS MARINE WORLD. This boat is a 20' Rayson Craft. It is hull #2, built after the HOT ROD MAGAZINE SPECIAL. John Sofolos built and raced this boat. It was sponsored by Marine World. The interior of the hull has been restored with balsa core floor, new stringers, new transom and bulkhead, and lapstrakes on the bottom. Ron is looking for a Allison aircraft engine from WW II. I have leads for engines and a builder.

HARLAN ORRIN

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how hard it would be to find one of those old engines, but for years frac companies used them to power their pumps. The last company I know of was Dowell which became Dowell/Schluberger and is now just called Schlumberger. I don't know what they did with them, but they had lots of them at one time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Harlan,

Can you send me an address so i can come out and see what your projects are?

Todd Fitschen

Thread Information