Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1977 OPC Closed Course Nationals

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1977 OPC Closed Course Nationals

There was a time when there were Marathon Nationals and Closed Course Nationals. Out WEST we ran marathons with COBRA. When I brought COBRA into APBA with the help of Dick Sherrer and The Soares Family there was an OPC Marathon Nationals. After the WEST COAST guys started winning all the APBA Awards, OPC dropped the Marathon Nationals. It seems to me, that everytime APBA "CUT" something they got smaller. How does cutting anything make it get bigger. I cut my hair, and every year it takes longer to come back.....When Boat racing had Golden Years, they also had GOLDEN Marathons!

You recognize any of these names? Like Smokin' Joe...Jimbo...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1977 opc nationals

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    There was a time when there were Marathon Nationals and Closed Course Nationals. Out WEST we ran marathons with COBRA. When I brought COBRA into APBA with the help of Dick Sherrer and The Soares Family there was an OPC Marathon Nationals. After the WEST COAST guys started winning all the APBA Awards, OPC dropped the Marathon Nationals. It seems to me, that everytime APBA "CUT" something they got smaller. How does cutting anything make it get bigger. I cut my hair, and every year it takes longer to come back.....When Boat racing had Golden Years, they also had GOLDEN Marathons!

You recognize any of these names? Like Smokin' Joe...Jimbo...
    Jimbo is 191 and won, I remember that boat. I'm 853. Jimbo
    signed his name inside my 'Evenrude' cap. Jim Jost photo'ed all
    Evinrude winners. Joe Burgess is 56. I went into turn 1 7th, rode just outside and behind Steve Hancock
    blinded by his spray, he suddenly went wide, I shot inside. Sue Ann Callahan was dead in the water, probably hooked.
    I came out of turn 1 2nd and passed the first place boat on the outside coming out
    of turn 2. Then ran 2nd to Hancock in heat 2 because he blocked me, prevented my passing him
    on the outside either on the straightaway or in a turn. But SJ had speed on Steverino.

Paul Allison, who'd come to watch me because I'd won the Marathon Nationals earlier and had known
    him since I was 17, was reported to have remarked in his dry Tenn. way "I wish Joe'd get a start."

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring Back Marathons!

In region-5 we had an hour marathon as part of most every race weekend. Being in an EP boat being lapped by Champ Boats was interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It Isn't That Simple

Quote Originally Posted by boatmark59 View Post
    Bring Back Marathons!

In region-5 we had an hour marathon as part of most every race weekend. Being in an EP boat being lapped by Champ Boats was interesting.
    I have been trying to bring back the Mini Enduro for 9 years now, and failed. Finding water. Finding boats. Then, finding moey to put the race on. These are the problems. Bringing back the OLD DAYS isn't that easy. I can tell you why things changed, but I don't have a fix, yet!

Keep an eye on my thread DIY Outboard racing Motor...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron, I noticed at the bottom of the article that: Edwin "Rudy" Foote won the UJ class.... I thought that might be the Rudy Foote that drove the O'Berry Marine Molinari that I have restored. I asked Steve Larkin (#121) if that was Rudy, and here's his response:

Roger;

Yes that is Rudy , This was Rudy's best class that he ran[ uj ] , he is not mentioned often in articles but he was pretty good in that class. I am pretty sure the velden they speak of is the one I have . 1977 was the last year Rudy drove the v4 velden . 1978 as the first year he drove your boat at Eufala, Ala. [ nationals ]
    Steve

Here's a picture of that UJ boat any the O'Berry Mod U boat at Tavares FL last year. We'll be there this March 15-17th too.

Attachment 52050Attachment 52051

Thread Information