Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Update on Bruce Summers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on Bruce Summers

I recieved an e-mail from Bruce stating he had a bypass surgery shortly after Thanksgiving and is doing well.

He has repurchased his Pugh Hydro that he ran the 6-Looper on and plans to show it at some classic boat shows.

Hopefully he will bring it to Quincy in September and we'll have a carp sandwich.

Best wishes to Bruce for a quick and complete recovery!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper 6

Hi Gene,
    I beleive I have acquied the 6 cylinder looper that Bruce owned. If we race at Quincy this year I will bring it up. Right now it all in parts. Hope to get it back together this winter.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default From Bruce 1/8/13

Hi Ron:

Very nice article! You tell it like it is and always have.

I'm sure you know I retired from boat racing last spring. It was getting to be work instead of fun and I never knew who I would have to pit for me. The last couple of years I helped Ralph Donald and his crew[Bill and Janet Hosler would help me. Another factor was getting beat by Ray Nydahl's granddaughter, Amy Nydahl]. I wish Ray could see her race cause she is one hell of a driver.

A week after thanksgiving on my morning walk I had a little chest pain and Had open heart surgery. Quadruple bypass and a valve replacement, so our Fl. trip got cancelled. Doing great and started physical therapy yesterday. the therapy lasts for 3 months so I should be better than I was physically.

I bought back my Pugh F hydro[as seen on U-tube] so i'll be showing that at the boat shows I attend. I plan on about 4 shows this year.

Keep up the good work,

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Got the chance to talk to Bruce through email a few days after his surgery. I was glad to hear he was doing great and the PT will only make him stronger. Hard to keep a good man down...................
    Charley Bradley

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you are doing OK Bruce. Good to hear also that you are going to show off the Looper. People need to see those motors that are a big part of boat racing history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi Gene,
    I beleive I have acquied the 6 cylinder looper that Bruce owned. If we race at Quincy this year I will bring it up. Right now it all in parts. Hope to get it back together this winter.
    Alan
    You can know for certain if you have Bruce's 6 banger. Is the cylinder block 1 piece or 2 piece? If indeed you have that engine it would be great if you and Bruce could get together in Quincy and do a demo run.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 6 Looper

Hi Gene,
    It is a 2 pc block made from 4 cylinder units. I guess you would call it a D plus 1/2. Talked to paul the other night and he said the first looper 6 they made was done that way. Would this be the engine in this you tube clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgClOp52-c

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto from me too Bruce, I believe we both retired at the right time, although I miss seeing you and Shirley and all the other guys.
    I have also had some heart problems, but no bypasses. Last October I noticed that occasionally my heart would beat very fast and I would be out of breath.
    After an exam and treadmill with all these wires attached, it was determined that I had a valve that was out of rhythm. It's amazing what they can now, the doctor sends wire up a vein in my groin and gives an electrical shock to that valve and it"s back to normal. I hope you and Shirley make it to Florida for the Title Series in April.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi Gene,
    It is a 2 pc block made from 4 cylinder units. I guess you would call it a D plus 1/2. Talked to paul the other night and he said the first looper 6 they made was done that way. Would this be the engine in this you tube clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgClOp52-c

Alan
    That would be the one! Yes some people have referred to that motor as the D and a half. That's the first "Alky" motor my daughter Emily ever heard or smelled.

She had been to MOD races and OPC races but never an alky race

She was about 6 ft away from it when Bruce and the boys fired it off. You should have seen the look on her face and caught her sniffing the air. She knew it wasn't gasoline!

Thread Information