Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how important are solid motor mounts in a non-racing rig?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how important are solid motor mounts in a non-racing rig?

I will be running a 1998 Johnson 200 hp on a modified (transom, stringer, coring) 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX 16. I won't be racing it but I do plan on running 65 to 70 on a regular basis and hitting 80 occasionally. The mechanic building my motor (who has 35 years experience) is telling me I don't need solid mounts. I will be running Sea Star Pro steering but from what I understand won't make any difference if using the stock rubber mounts. Is my mechanic right and its not really that important in a non-racing rig?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

you don't Need them, but if it was me i'd have a set. over time i've seen the stock lower ones get ugly and make it hader to line up the shift shaft. no feed back from the pro star so you should be good with stockers.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fred, I appreciate the info.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can using solid mounts cause anything to break or crack in the engine? I'm not too worried about the boat because I have installed a new transom with 3 knees.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

can't say i've ever seen any thing break cuzz of the mounts, i fly mine off 15 foot rollers, she has solids.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn! Sounds like fun! I guess I don't have anything to worry about then. Its just going to be a lake boat and the CVX 16 isn't made for too much of a rough water situation.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A cvx 16 with a 200 is already a recipie for a chine walking mess. If the motor is apart do the mounts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 89HST View Post
    A cvx 16 with a 200 is already a recipie for a chine walking mess. If the motor is apart do the mounts.
    Gotta agree!! That's alot of motor for that boat, given it's narrow pad you will want all the help you can get to fly it on the pad so the mounts would be a must in my eyes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe me, I know and have definitely decided to run the solid mounts and I already have the Sea Star Pro steering. I think maybe my engine builder forgot what boat I'm putting the 200 on.

phillnjack

are solid mounts available over the counter, or is this something you have to have specially made ?

phill

Thread Information