Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: prop.help.needed

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default prop.help.needed

Need some expert advice on which of these props would work better with my setup. The props---first one is a Renegade Bass prop, 13.5 x 25 pitch 4 blade OR a Raker 14.5 x 26 pitch 3 blade. The motor is a 1998 Johnson 200 hp on a Glastron Carlson CVX 16 that has been modified (hopefully) to handle the extra hp and weight. It does have a pad but its only about 6 or 7" wide at the transom and goes up the hull about 6'. Will be running a 6" manual jack plate. I am more interested in hole shot but I still want some decent speed. Both props are a good buy. Thanks. Edited post---just found another prop-its a 14.5 x 22 pitch Raker. Thanks for any help.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

run the 22p, see how your fresh power head goes, see how she handles, then go up in pitch and see how you handle it.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like good advice Fred, especially seeing how "I"handle a higher pitch. I came from jet boats and I know a high powered outboard boat is going to be a completely different animal.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fast Fred, what's your (or anyone elses) opinnion on the Renegade 4 blade prop (after I get used to the speed of the boat) compared to a 3 blade Raker? I was under the impression that the V6 motors used 14 or 14.5" diameter props but the Renegade 4 blade that I found is a 13.5" diameter and supposedly came off a 225 Johnson.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the more blades, helps the hole shot ,the top end is not there. see where she is on the tach, after a tank of gas or two, go for a burn see how she pulls, you want to hit max rev, 5800 on the limiter but not light it off, to much pitch and she lugs can't pull to 5800 no chance lightin off the limiter, unless you fly it off a waterfall

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another prop question- would a 25p Renegade Bass be better for a heavier boat and a 25p Shooter better for a lighter boat or vice versa, with the same motor? I have a choice and would like to try a 4 blade as well as the 3 blade Raker. From what I have read my boat weighs about 650 lbs dry weight.

Thread Information