Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To add a pad or not to add a pad?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To add a pad or not to add a pad?

whats everyones take on adding a pad to a 1977 glastron gt 150? i just got the boat and im going to restore it but was thinking about adding a pad. Has anyone ever done this to this boat? Is it worth it as for work compared to gains in speed? is the boat safe at higher speeds?

Post Thanks / Like

i say go for it. that's a great boat and even greater with a pad. I always wanted to put a pad on one someday. There maybe a thread on SnF where someone put a pad on one, been a while since I was there.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with a pad the width of a padded boat of similar length and weight. If you boat 200 pounds heavier, then add an inch to the pad. One note, make your pad entirely of fiberglass that way if you want to make it narrower , you can simply cut it on each side without having to seal up any wood. I am probably doing this to my dads old glasspar g3. Cool project. Post some pics!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys! i was thinking about trying to do it like the hydrostream viper's hull. should i try to add a cut out/ step in the back of the hull like the viper or just all the way to the back of the boat with a pad? i will post pics of the boat as it is now and post pics of the progress of the project.

phillnjack

My boat is not a race hull by any means and im no boat builder.
    But recently when i was doing hull repairs to the boat i added a bit of pad into the hull.
    I didnt do it scientifically and didnt even worry too much about it being 100% level as i sanded it down
    when it was dry to get what i wanted.
    The difference i found was amazing, i only go to about 45mph at the moment but found good results.

And just incase you didnt know it, the glastron gt150 is now being copied and sold in CHINA , the CZ460 ha ha .
    here is a link to them, its clearly the old gt150 they have used to make their crappy boat from.
    Ive seen chinese craftsmanship first hand, its total rubbish.

http://szplatec.en.made-in-china.com...at-CZ460-.html

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey phillnjack, any pictures ?

phillnjack

If you mean pics of my pad I Didnt think about pics at the time,it was spur of the moment while doing major repairs.
    but i will get some soon when next at the boat.
    I had mixed up a lot of resin and had a lot over so made the pad and put a lot of matt down with the resin to
    make it super strong.
    I thought well if it dont work i could always grind it back down to original spec.
    But now ive got a boat with a stronger hull and better handling.

I just made mine 1 foot wide at the transom , then slow taper for the next 4 feet, then when at about 8 inches wide
    i then feathered it into the hull.
    It definitely improved the handling and my boat is more a sports runabout than a speedboat.
    I get a improved ride as in the boat is easier to keep straight, and also better for getting onto plane without as much
    porpoising, if that makes sense.

phill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelvision07 View Post
    whats everyones take on adding a pad to a 1977 glastron gt 150? i just got the boat and im going to restore it but was thinking about adding a pad. Has anyone ever done this to this boat? Is it worth it as for work compared to gains in speed? is the boat safe at higher speeds?
    nice boat! if you size the pad correctly, it should be a winner!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

here is the boat now. just took the rotten floor out might try to take the cap off this coming weekend.
    Attachment 52444Attachment 52445Attachment 52446Attachment 52447

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one also and would like to pad it. Pictures of other padded 150's would be appreciated.

Thread Information