Thread: Molinari Racing Boat History and Information

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roy Ridgell and Dave Beier at Paris 6 Hour race (maybe 1973 photo).

Quote Originally Posted by Willabee View Post
    I am so much better looking than Dave (it's Beier, not Brier) that I can't see how anyone could have thought that was him in the photo! Actually, I don't think Dave ever went on the European Tour with us. He was a leadman in the engine shop and when I was away for the six weeks or so it took to do Europe, he had to stay back in Oshkosh to conduct the engine build for Havasu.

That photo is 1971 and we had a couple of the C6's to run in Paris. The guy standing next to Rick LaMore with the headband is probably Jim Acheson. He was the lead tech on the C6 for Dr. Ted Morgan's group and that sure looks like they are working on a C6 , not a Twister I as you see on the other boats.
    I cannot contest the notion that Bill Welch is not better looking than Dave Brier.
    But Dave did come over from the States to the European circuit. See the attached photo taken in Europe with Dave hitching a boat ride with Roy Ridgell. It looks like they are wearing the blue racing jackets (maybe the year1973).

One year (maybe 1973) I believe Dave was the fuel man at the Paris 6 Hour. Rick LaMore and I were the catch guys on the refueling dock. With the catch-pole, I was slowing the race boats to a secure stop, and one time as I am holding one of the boats, by the engine steering bracket, against the dock, I looked toward the race course and saw another race boat coming-in for refueling. So what do I do, but yell (or speak loud enough) to Dave as he is straddled over the gas-tank-cowling refueling, that we have another one coming. It’s not like Dave could have been any faster, but it was a heads-up to everybody on the team. That fuel nozzle and hose had to be a least 2.5 inch diameter, if not 3 inches. This was the year that Gary Garbretch and Roy Ridgell were standing on the elevated platform behind us and looking down at the pit action.

Previous to that year, I do not remember with accuracy if Jim Emerson (from Lake X) was coming over for the Paris 6 Hour to do the race refueling.

Permit me an anecdotal that relates to Dave. We are caravanning to –or from- a race (maybe Paris). We stop at an Italian eatery for breakfast, and Dave wants eggs. So Dave starts flapping his arms like a bird, and makes a chicken clucking noise, then stands up from his chair and imaginarily pretends that he laid an egg (you can see where this is going). Then Dave does, the universal pantomime language, of cracking open the egg over a fraying pan, and then demonstrates flipping the egg over with a spatula. Dave can be a character when he wants to be.

Name:  Roy leaves Europe news article, with Dave Beier..jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  165.8 KB
    Name:  Roy R. & Dave Beier in Boat# 12 at Paris..jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  201.6 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

try again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what this is..??..but it says Angelo Molinari on the sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did Renato Molinari have a pre-race preparation technique?

Name:  Renato squatting on race boats..JPG
Views: 1138
Size:  89.3 KB

In observing some photos of the past, I saw a trend which I did not recognize in real time. Renato has a pre-race trait –when and if time, and the situation presents itself. He seems to like to squat on the boat, next to the cockpit, before the action starts.

Knowing how committed Renato was to the business of winning boat races, I will venture to say (in sports parlance) that Renato is preparing himself to get into the zone.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are absolute right Lake X Kid.

Renato always raced top equipment for Merc and OMC but was also one of the best drivers ever.
    He was never up late party with others in the bar. Did only drink a glass of wine for dinner.
    Renato was one racing machine focus on only one thing..win races and sell race boats..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post

I think you are absolute right Lake X Kid.

Renato always raced top equipment for Merc and OMC but was also one of the best drivers ever.
    He was never up late party with others in the bar. Did only drink a glass of wine for dinner.
    Renato was one racing machine focus on only one thing..win races and sell race boats..
    What a shame you cant buy a new Molinari today, I 'd have one if I could get a new one. ( no wood though)

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Molinari and No Wood???

A Molinari and a Stradivarius Violin have much in common. Did Molinari ever build a composite outboard boat???? Glastron/Molinari's were fiberglass. What I think would be WAY COOL is a 21 foot "HIGH RIDER" Molinari with a sing 300XS OptiMax. Those "High Riders" could probably race in the ocean if need be.

A "NEW" wood Molinari was the greatest to drive.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    A Molinari and a Stradivarius Violin have much in common. Did Molinari ever build a composite outboard boat???? Glastron/Molinari's were fiberglass. What I think would be WAY COOL is a 21 foot "HIGH RIDER" Molinari with a sing 300XS OptiMax. Those "High Riders" could probably race in the ocean if need be.

A "NEW" wood Molinari was the greatest to drive.
    could always build one if you had the plans..

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm Not Sure There Was Ever Two Molinari's A Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    could always build one if you had the plans..
    The way Molinari boats were built, I find it hard to believe there were really ever two the same. Almost the same, but different.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually heard that from a OMC race mechanic, hard to prop as they never had 2 boats the same, I guess that was DAH trying to overcome that?

Thread Information