[QUOTE=Lake X Kid;133350]
Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post

If memory serves me correctly, I was at that race and I was unimpressed with the racing site. Especially compared to one of my favorite’s race sites like Bristol, England. That Chasewater race seemed overcast and chilly, and spectator attendance was slim.

After that race I do not know if Giovanni ever got to co-drive with Renato again. Giovanni, I think idolized Renato, but Renato had his way of keeping the racing fraternity (including the Italians) at arms length. Renato, in the early 70’s when I knew him, was a dedicated no-nonsense racer with a minimal of socializing. My observation was Giovanni new his place (and accepted it) and it was not as a coequal of the legendary Renato. Giovanni always seemed to me to be appreciative of piloting new Molinari boats with the backing of the Mercury powered support team.

In the photo at Mr. Pellolio restaurant is Giovanni's wife standing between him and Cees Vander Veldon. Also in the Bolsena race pit photos that is Giovanni in the light blue race suit with his back to the camera shot.

Bob Herring gelled well with Renato, and I would not be surprised if it was because Bob kept conservation to a minimum, was accommodating, and he was a fast boat racer.
Sorry to disagree with you m'boy, Chasewater is and always has been one of the premier venues of English power boat racing.
It's official title is 'SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE HYDROPLANE AND SPEED BOAT CLUB' but most racers know it as simply "CHASE" or "SOUTH STAFFS".
Originally a hydro racing club, it boasts a proud history of events------ie; 24 hour races------500 milers----100 milers-------inter continental events-----Duchess of York {that gold trophy was valued at £100,000} to mention just a few. It can be as rough as any water in the world one day and a mill pond the next----but the pits are good and facilities adequate----and one of the safest places to race.
Must have been a real sh-tty day that you were there----but then again i've raced all over the world and had inclement weather at some time or another at most places.[once had to jump in the water and hold on to the painter at the IDROSCALA in Milan when a storm blew through----me and 20 others including Scotti and Renato].
Pelollio was a good reliable back up driver and his wife ran a great restaurant on the other side of the lake [Scotti side],
We were all goofing off after a huge evening meal when Pelollio took out his shotgun and chased me into the woods, was all good fun,, no i had not been dallying, before you ask.
At the table were Angelo, Renato, Georgio, Scotti and wife, Carlo and Henri Rassini, [ and Carlotta his daughter] Carlo Bodiga, Rolla, Velden, Gigi and Vassena. there was always big eats after a race-----win --lose or draw-----food was always paramount to the Italians.
We used to run an exchange system where the Rassini kids would stay with my family for a month and my daughter Sandra would stay with the Rassini's at the castle up in the mountains.