Thread: Molinari Racing Boat History and Information

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake X Kid dreaming about tunnel boat speed while operating the Molinari boat lift.

This is where the boats were lowered and lifted out of the water inside the Molinari plant on Lago Di Como. The boat lift was on the south side of the building and the open lake to the left of the photo.

This is an early 1970’s photo with the Lake X Kid operating the lift. The roll-away wooden floor (rolling towards the camerman in this photo) reveals the lake's water edge, where the boats are lowered and raised in the Molinari boat shop.

Name:  Molinari boat lift in Como, Italy, early 1970's.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  35.8 KB
    Likes Paolo Mazzocchi liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mike Downard comes to Italy to give Renato and Ceasare some USA competion.

This is a early 1970's photo of a Merc powered Molinari tunnel boat.
    This photo is when we were at the big race in Aronzo, Italy in the early 1970's. Where Renato took the win in a great duel against his cousin Ceasare Scotti. Tom Percival, Bob Spaulding and Cees Vander Veldon were racing for third place against eachother.

Mike Downard (in the attach photo) came and represented the USA, but blew-over, and Roy Ridgell told me it was a faulty solenoid on the power-trim pump, that cause the problem. Unfortunately Mike hurt is leg.
    Name:  Mike Downard at Auronzo, IT..jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  227.4 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Molinari boats & Scotti craft prepare to compete at Lago Di Bolsena boat race 1971.

Name:  Rassini, Tim & Gigi in Pits at Bolensa boat race..jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  169.4 KBName:  Renato, Rassini, Timbo, & Gigi at Bolensa race..jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  197.5 KB[QUOTE=Lake X Kid;133199]Molinari boats & Scotti craft prepare to compete at Lago Di Bolsena boat race 1971.

Renato take's win and beats cousin Cesare Scotti who takes second place overall.

Here are two Molinari hulls sandwiching a Scotti craft at Lago Di Bolsena in central Italy. That is Renato in the yellow racing suit. In the foreground is racer Carlo Rassini with young Timothy Ridgell sitting between the banker and his chauffeur Gigi.
    Notice the Merc straight 6 motor next to the OMC v4 engine, and I believe the boats's bows pitch higher-up when just sitting in the water than today's F1 race boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carlo Rassini's Daughter

Everyone seems to have great pictures of Molinari, Scotti, Rassini and others. No one seems to have pictures of Carlo Rassini's daughter. She was a "STONE FOX"....totally beautiful!

Great pictures Lake "X" Kid...those were the days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    This is where the boats were lowered and lifted out of the water inside the Molinari plant on Lago Di Como. The boat lift was on the south side of the building and the open lake to the left of the photo.

This is an early 1970’s photo with the Lake X Kid operating the lift.

Name:  Molinari boat lift in Como, Italy, early 1970's.jpg
Views: 1783
Size:  35.8 KB
    Where on the lake was the plant? I know it's history but when I'm in Austria
    I'm 4-5 hrs. from Lago di Como. There's an outboard/boat museum on the
    lake too.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not remember 100% but in one of the two red lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Location of Renato Molinari boat shop on lake Como.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    I do not remember 100% but in one of the two red lines.
    The Molinari race boat plant (separate from Renato’s father Angelo boat yard) is north of the famous luxury Villa de Este hotel, where the rich & famous stay. Lars your map’s red line (post# 197) on top is closer to the lakeside race boat plant’s location.

Driving northbound from the city of Como one goes and stops in the old section of Cernobbio to wait for the green light and then go through the one lane street (about one block long of one way traffic). Then drive past the Villa d’ Este to the village of Torriggia. The Molinari plant is just north of where the Old Via Regina lakeside road comes back up and connects to the New Via Regina street.

The building’s third floor is street level with the Via Regina road. Remember this is the foothills of the Italian Alps and Como di Lago is a mountain lake. That means there are a lot of steps from the street level down to the water edge where the building’s bottom floor is.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Molinari`s co driver

[QUOTE=Lake X Kid;132943]Attachment 54669Attachment 54595

Here are three boat racers who have driven Mercury powered Molinari boats.
    Roy Ridgell, Giovanni Pellolio, and Cees Vander Veldon, with the Lake X Kid far left in the photo.

You mentioned Giovanni Pellolio i can remember he came to the UK as Molinaris co-driver in 1971 to race in the Chasewater 500 mile race which consisted of 250miles racing on saturday and 250miles racing on sunday.The British Shakespeare team boat which had OMC power won the saturdays race but Molinari and Pellolio won the sundays race and won outright` but i remember it being a very close run race Molinari won by only half a lap?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giovanni Pelliolio and Renato as teammates.

[QUOTE=Steve Pinson;133303]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Attachment 54669Attachment 54595

You mentioned Giovanni Pellolio i can remember he came to the UK as Molinaris co-driver in 1971 to race in the Chasewater 500 mile race which consisted of 250miles racing on saturday and 250miles racing on sunday.The British Shakespeare team boat which had OMC power won the saturdays race but Molinari and Pellolio won the sundays race and won outright` but i remember it being a very close run race Molinari won by only half a lap?
    If memory serves me correctly, I was at that race and I was unimpressed with the racing site. Especially compared to one of my favorite’s race sites like Bristol, England. That Chasewater race seemed overcast and chilly, and spectator attendance was slim.

After that race I do not know if Giovanni ever got to co-drive with Renato again. Giovanni, I think idolized Renato, but Renato had his way of keeping the racing fraternity (including the Italians) at arms length. Renato, in the early 70’s when I knew him, was a dedicated no-nonsense racer with a minimal of socializing. My observation was Giovanni new his place (and accepted it) and it was not as a coequal of the legendary Renato. Giovanni always seemed to me to be appreciative of piloting new Molinari boats with the backing of the Mercury powered support team.

In the photo at Mr. Pellolio restaurant is Giovanni's wife standing between him and Cees Vander Veldon. Also in the Bolsena race pit photos that is Giovanni in the light blue race suit with his back to the camera shot.

Bob Herring gelled well with Renato, and I would not be surprised if it was because Bob kept conservation to a minimum, was accommodating, and he was a fast boat racer.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating inside tales and thoughts Lake X Kid. You are right about Bob, and probably nailed the reason.

Thread Information