Thread: Molinari Racing Boat History and Information

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lake X Kid;133350]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pinson View Post

If memory serves me correctly, I was at that race and I was unimpressed with the racing site. Especially compared to one of my favorite’s race sites like Bristol, England. That Chasewater race seemed overcast and chilly, and spectator attendance was slim.

After that race I do not know if Giovanni ever got to co-drive with Renato again. Giovanni, I think idolized Renato, but Renato had his way of keeping the racing fraternity (including the Italians) at arms length. Renato, in the early 70’s when I knew him, was a dedicated no-nonsense racer with a minimal of socializing. My observation was Giovanni new his place (and accepted it) and it was not as a coequal of the legendary Renato. Giovanni always seemed to me to be appreciative of piloting new Molinari boats with the backing of the Mercury powered support team.

In the photo at Mr. Pellolio restaurant is Giovanni's wife standing between him and Cees Vander Veldon. Also in the Bolsena race pit photos that is Giovanni in the light blue race suit with his back to the camera shot.

Bob Herring gelled well with Renato, and I would not be surprised if it was because Bob kept conservation to a minimum, was accommodating, and he was a fast boat racer.
    Sorry to disagree with you m'boy, Chasewater is and always has been one of the premier venues of English power boat racing.
    It's official title is 'SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE HYDROPLANE AND SPEED BOAT CLUB' but most racers know it as simply "CHASE" or "SOUTH STAFFS".
    Originally a hydro racing club, it boasts a proud history of events------ie; 24 hour races------500 milers----100 milers-------inter continental events-----Duchess of York {that gold trophy was valued at £100,000} to mention just a few. It can be as rough as any water in the world one day and a mill pond the next----but the pits are good and facilities adequate----and one of the safest places to race.
    Must have been a real sh-tty day that you were there----but then again i've raced all over the world and had inclement weather at some time or another at most places.[once had to jump in the water and hold on to the painter at the IDROSCALA in Milan when a storm blew through----me and 20 others including Scotti and Renato].
    Pelollio was a good reliable back up driver and his wife ran a great restaurant on the other side of the lake [Scotti side],
    We were all goofing off after a huge evening meal when Pelollio took out his shotgun and chased me into the woods, was all good fun,, no i had not been dallying, before you ask.
    At the table were Angelo, Renato, Georgio, Scotti and wife, Carlo and Henri Rassini, [ and Carlotta his daughter] Carlo Bodiga, Rolla, Velden, Gigi and Vassena. there was always big eats after a race-----win --lose or draw-----food was always paramount to the Italians.
    We used to run an exchange system where the Rassini kids would stay with my family for a month and my daughter Sandra would stay with the Rassini's at the castle up in the mountains.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this picture on FB today..I like..!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Renato..not sure what year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Thanks Ron..another thing I missed in the sixties..I never meet her at the Six Hours of Stockholm 1968..!!
    You missed a treat Lassie----beautiful inside and out, as were her brothers Roberta and Mario.
    Did a swop with father Carlo------his kids stayed at my house to learn English--(after we had been vetted by GIGI, Carlo's minder) and my eldest daughter stayed with them at his castle in Trento.

By the way ---it was JULIO Corbetta !!!!!!!! Good friend of Billy and my boy Mark.

There was a race in Stockholm before 1968---------was either 66 0r 67 Won by Don Ross driving his yellow 16' LEVI, "GAWD-L-PUS"

Not being belligerent Lassie------"just the facts man---nothing but the facts".

Post Thanks / Like

Stockholms GP 1968 Complete program with entry list

http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/...plett-program/

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Yes..there was a six hour race in Stockholm, Sweden 1968.
    3 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday.

The winner was Renato Molinari in his #34 Molinari/Merc
    See attached picture..it is Renato on top of the Merc..sorry for Swedish.

Second picture is # 51 Carlo Rosini from Italy. Also in a Molinari /Merc at the Stockholm Six Hours.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did OMC Buy That 16' Levi?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    You missed a treat Lassie----beautiful inside and out, as were her brothers Roberta and Mario.
    Did a swop with father Carlo------his kids stayed at my house to learn English--(after we had been vetted by GIGI, Carlo's minder) and my eldest daughter stayed with them at his castle in Trento.

By the way ---it was JULIO Corbetta !!!!!!!! Good friend of Billy and my boy Mark.

There was a race in Stockholm before 1968---------was either 66 0r 67 Won by Don Ross driving his yellow 16' LEVI, "GAWD-L-PUS"

Not being belligerent Lassie------"just the facts man---nothing but the facts".
    OMC had a 16 foot Levi that they raced a single engine one at Long Beach in June 1970. By then, it was clear the VEE HULL was to going to stay with the tunnels. So, OMC left the boat behind and I took it home.

Jimmy Jost gave me a three cylinder to put on it. We sued the boat a club patrol boat and a ski boat for the river for me. Jimmy gave me a new engine every year, Danny Schwarzenbach would sell it for Evinrude every year. Worked great, a new free motor every year. Danny made a few bucks on the deal.

I never drove the Levi with a HOT V-4 but I remember Freddy hauenstein driving it a Long Beach and it was a handful.

I used to go wave jumping with that Levi in the ocean until a wave jumped me!

If you happen to see any of the Rassini's please say, "Hello for me"...

Love your posts, always, Jackie!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    OMC had a 16 foot Levi that they raced a single engine one at Long Beach in June 1970. By then, it was clear the VEE HULL was to going to stay with the tunnels. So, OMC left the boat behind and I took it home.

Jimmy Jost gave me a three cylinder to put on it. We sued the boat a club patrol boat and a ski boat for the river for me. Jimmy gave me a new engine every year, Danny Schwarzenbach would sell it for Evinrude every year. Worked great, a new free motor every year. Danny made a few bucks on the deal.

I never drove the Levi with a HOT V-4 but I remember Freddy hauenstein driving it a Long Beach and it was a handful.

I used to go wave jumping with that Levi in the ocean until a wave jumped me!

If you happen to see any of the Rassini's please say, "Hello for me"...

Love your posts, always, Jackie!!!
    John Merryfield and Len Melly were the aristocracy of British powerboating in the 50/60s,they got Sonny Levi to design a V bottom 16' cold moulded ply about 1962.
    Another smart move was to get the boatbuilder Souters to build them.
    The very first boat had a tendency to dip its gunwale under water when you stepped aboard. This was overcome by filling the bilges With water when the boat was at rest in the pits.
    Result of this was, it took a hell of a long time to empty, the rest of the pack were long gone before the Levi even got up and running, took six months before a solution was found, but then there was nothing could live with that boat for the next two years.
    Perfect combination, 100 hp. And a Levi 16'.
    Then along came Jones, Molinari, Torriggia.
    1964 was pretty even racing, then the power output got bigger, the Levi could not cope with this, and kept dipping it's snout under at anything approaching 70 mph, whilst the tunnels were begging for more hp.
    My last race in a Levi was on the Thames------I had just sold my Molinari to Don Ross the day before the race, I then bought Julian Bailey's Levi (Phaedra)----- submarined that damn boat at least a hundred times and swore I would never ever sit in a V bottom again.
    I know I ramble a lot Ron------the point I am trying to make is------even with 125hp the Levi was a wild uncontrollable beasty, and I loathed it.
    Don Ross loved it---he was a master of the V, but he never .liked the tunnels------ even though he won the Thames race with the Molinari.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old "FARTS" Ramble, But They Usually Have Some Amazing Things To Say

Every thing you post Jackie, might be "RAMBLING" but I read ever word several times.

I always remember the "IT STOPS" at the Parker 9 Hour....You "COSWORTH" guys had "TEA" while the crew fueled the boat and checked under the "BONNET"..Oh, boats do have "BONNETS".....but there was no "RUSH" at the stops.

My first Six Hours of Paris, 1967, I have to admit, I really thought every one was crazy except us "Tunnel (ON) Drivers"....All day long all I saw was Vee Bottoms backing out of the water prop first as they kept "NOSE DIVING".

20:20 hindsight, no one seemed to get hurt from "NOSE DIVING" and "BLOW OVERS" hurt a "**** LOAD"...My first Paris race impressed me as "BOAT RACER SPORTSMEN". They came to race for fun. It seemed to change quickly!

Not trying to pass judgement, but I don't think "FACTORY" participation helped the sport.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Every thing you post Jackie, might be "RAMBLING" but I read ever word several times.

I always remember the "IT STOPS" at the Parker 9 Hour....You "COSWORTH" guys had "TEA" while the crew fueled the boat and checked under the "BONNET"..Oh, boats do have "BONNETS".....but there was no "RUSH" at the stops.

My first Six Hours of Paris, 1967, I have to admit, I really thought every one was crazy except us "Tunnel (ON) Drivers"....All day long all I saw was Vee Bottoms backing out of the water prop first as they kept "NOSE DIVING".

20:20 hindsight, no one seemed to get hurt from "NOSE DIVING" and "BLOW OVERS" hurt a "**** LOAD"...My first Paris race impressed me as "BOAT RACER SPORTSMEN". They came to race for fun. It seemed to change quickly!

Not trying to pass judgement, but I don't think "FACTORY" participation helped the sport.
    Ain't that the truth Ron, the sign on my 26' GMC 6 wheeler pump up camper van read, RACING FOR FUN---did just that,then the factories got involved. That would have been OK if they had just stuck to making "product", but no, they had to get political and try to alter history, which they did very efficiently by having their own private war.
    Finger can be pointed at both camps----- you either did what you were told or get kicked out of " THE BROWNIES",
    You really want to get into this with me Ron--------- we could open a dustbin load between us, start another thread for Gods sake, this one's too good to soil.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris 6hr race 43yrs ago this next weekend

Name:  JW PARIS 1970 001.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  191.7 KB

Ron i think your first Paris 6hr race experience was driving a Shultz Hydrocat let us have a few of your comments about how it drove in the rough water i bet it was a real handfull especially with the barges running.I think your last drive at Paris was in a Scotti boat now that would be a good running boat at that time lets have your comments too on that drive?Paris 1970 would be the year Jackie drove with Molinari 43yrs ago this coming weekend would be nice to have a few words from jackie about his drive in that boat it looked a smooth running outfit?Name:  JW PARIS 1970 001.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  191.7 KB

Thread Information