Thread: Molinari Racing Boat History and Information

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Thought you might like to make a comment on this photo Lars. Again 1978 OE World Championships at Dayton, Ohio.
    I was not racing the OE class that year Wayne, but I can see Renato is using an aftermarket mid section (second picture). If I remember right with a Merc gear case. I know Renato used a similar mid-section the year after (1979) in the World OE event in Evian, France. I was racing the # 56 Velden OE class boat owned by Cees in the race. My Velden boat was extremely fast but the rough water at Lake Geneva made it difficult to use the high top speed.
    Instead it was a race to try to survive and I ended up sixth overall.
    Close to thirty boats in the same class..
    Renato won but this was the end of aftermarket mid sections/Merc gear cases for Renato. OMC told him to use the engine the way OMC built them..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing with your picture of Renato's engine and Jack Leek..Wayne..!!
    Maybe Jack is thinking..I told Renato not to bring that mid section with a Merc gear case..Well Bob Hering won with a OMC midsection gearcase.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

Default Molinari Boats

Brodenbach, Germany 1977 #40 OE class Molinari/Volvo Penta/König
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lars
    Picture of 6hrs Paris
    Likes Lake X Kid liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One of Angelo 3 point racer in the sixties
    Likes Lake X Kid liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "OMC told Renato to use the engine the way OMC built it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    My Velden boat was extremely fast but the rough water at Lake Geneva made it difficult to use the high top speed.
    Instead it was a race to try to survive and I ended up sixth overall.
    Close to thirty boats in the same class..
    Renato won but this was the end of aftermarket mid sections/Merc gear cases for Renato. OMC told him to use the engine the way OMC built them..
    Albeit another reason OMC told Renato to race the engines as supplied, is Now the Velden hull is competitive and the Molinari hull is not the sole dominate hull, as it once was maybe in the past. As illustrated in this race with three Velden hulls finishing in the top six, and with only one Molinari hull in the top six. Renato was competing with Cees Velden for the primary hull supplying OMC race boats.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Auronzo

Auronzo picture my father took with me on the left in front of crashed hull
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    A wrote this story long time ago at Svera.se..

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-histori...tles-in-a-row/

"Bo and I made a plan to fly to Auronzo, Italy just to watch the OE World Championship. The ON World Championship was at the same time.
    Paul Kalb was not happy to see me there and Roger Jenkins was upset with Paul Kalb to, so Roger Jenkins was racing the Volvo Penta/Konig at this race.
    This was the first time the Volvo was doing really good and Roger Jenkins was leading the race when something went wrong.
    Well, my brain started to spin: Me – Volvo – Sweden – Problem with Paul Kalb – OMC kicking out Billy Huzell who really was behind my success in racing
    The drivers Paul Kalb picked was way behind in the race and I was smiling.
    Remember that OMC was using laughing gas to go faster, but that did not help.
    This was also the first time I did see Renato Molinari play dirty, well not really Renato but his second boat driven by Zoppi I think his name was. He sank Cees VD Velden on purpose by running in to his boat just in front of us at the far end of the race course. Molinari ended up winning both OE and ON at that race, but not really in a proper way. (ON)
    Paul Kalb had a bad bad weekend, and after the Race he apologized. Now he wanted Bo and Lars to race Amsterdam and Rotterdam with one of the OMC factory OE boats"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Renato inboard tunnel hull Name:  78385496-2E07-4341-A269-9F3FE20CBBC9.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  98.0 KB
    Thanks Lars Strom thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Auronzo picture with crashed hullName:  53FFD65D-9732-417D-B49C-C0580DCE8CFC.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  124.0 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Champ winner in Merc power Molinari gives Lake X Kid a ride home, after Auronzo win.

The Porsche was cornering hard, and tire grip was squealing with tension /
    On Como mountain curve, the driver was leaning the car on its suspension /
    The road trip started at, Auronzo (quick, agile) which also defines this 911 /
    European Championship was, to be determined at this mountainous haven /

F1 boat engines came to wake-up, the snow ski resort area north of Venice /
    Not close enough to Austria to be heard, and weeks before 6 hours of Paris /
    Mike Downard representing, the USA arrived, with his 4 blade secret prop /
    Tom Percival in his Jaguar with family inside, motored-up to lake’s hilltop /

Honey, sister-in-law of Cees came too, a blond beauty that Bob admired too /
    At a host event by the city, the night before the race, in shyness I withdrew /
    They held a beauty contest, and a lady asked me “do you think I am pretty?” /
    In my mind I said of course Gillian, Tom rescued me and said she is pretty /

Next day I was more confident, “pull the kill switch,” as he putted by pits /
    I told Tom, with his boat sinking, on the starboard side with transom splits /
    In the race, Bob Spalding and Percival could not seem to avoid each other /
    Side by side, might be were the gash occurred between teammate brothers /

I jerry rigged Tom’s kill switch to work, a clothes pin type that misaligned /
    Patch was glued and nailed to hole, by Como’s singing carpenter as assigned /
    Mike’s blow over (trim pump’s malfunction solenoid) became an Italian show /
    Cees, Bob and Tom, were racing for third behind Cesare and Renato’s tempo /

I have seen this cousin rivalry before, these two racing for the win at Bolsena /
    A boat length behind on Lake Santa Caterina too, Cesare Scotti has dilemma /
    Cesare gets pinched between Renato on the right and back-marker on port side /
    The compressed air between, Renato and the other boat lifts Cesare boat to glide /

Straight up out of the water and level, like jumping a wave, a literal air wave /
    boat and driver returned to the water’s surface level, recovery a close shave /
    Cesare raced second to cousin Renato again, and some say as boat builder too /
    This race meant a lot to Renato, surely why he brought the carpenter there too /

Do you want to ride back with me?” Winning is a shared moment to delight in /
    Slowing from autostrade excessive speed, the 911’s braking power made me grin /
    On long sweeping right-hander curve over Como ravine, I looked down at the lake /
    Renato Molinari squealing tires, I have confidence in you, with no nervous shake /
    rsr

Name:  Auronzo race participants..JPG
Views: 715
Size:  184.2 KB

Thread Information