Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ted March Passed Away Today 1/31/13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ted March Passed Away Today 1/31/13

I posted this on the tread:
    In memory of racers no longer with us:

I thought some of you may have missed this. RIP TED!

Ted March Passed Away Today 1/31/13

I first met Ted about 1967 at the New York to Albany to New York Marathon. HE and I became good friend while he worked for Playboy in Chicago. For many, many years Ted would come to Havasu and Parker for the big races. He also managed to make St. Louis, too. His two sons, Bruce and Scott made the trip with him now and then too.

Ted would plan his business trips so he could help and the races. He never asked for a dime or wanted anything from all his hard work. He used to get so depressed after Parker 9 Hour was over, he'd see all the broken boats, and all the almost wins. In all the years he cam to help, close to ten years, I never won. We'd lead, we'd break.....We'd finish second or third. Ted did make it out to Parker, 2006, to see Chad Hill and Pat Bowman win the Enduro.

Ted moved on to CNN and moved to Jersey where developed colon cancer. He retired from work after the bout with cancer, but had older health problems along the way. 14 years ago, this month his son Bruce passed away. Bruce was a only about 40.

I started Boat Racing Facts and asked Ted to join in the effort. Ted wasn't doing well when we started BRF, and his health never really improved. We started BRF 12-13 years ago.

Ted was a great friend, he is survived by his wife Nancy, son Scott and daughter, Jolyn.

Ted's last few years have been tough years! Rest in peace! I'll miss my friend!

ADD:

One time years ago, Ted called me and said he knew where 10,000 propellers were for $10,000. They were in Gary, Indiana at a scrap metal yard. I got 10 grand in cash and jumped on a Monday night red eye.

I bought the props and got them shipped to California. I had to rent a building to put them in....Somewhere I have a picture of me in front of this pile of 10,000 OMC props!

Post Thanks / Like

my condolences Ron

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

my condolences also,met ted many moons ago throug opc racing. in the mid 60s ted,bob halsted beal tilton & myself took a road trip to alco/mareysville tenn. to have bobs allison repaired it was a most interisting trip.!! we will all miss him!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe told me a couple of days ago that he hoped Ted realized how much happiness he brought to the boat racing community by helping Ron launch BRF. I told him that I thought he probably did, but I wasn't sure if he knew exactly of the magnitude of what Ron and Ted created. There is a greater concentration of boat racing history, pictures, documents, and stories about all kinds of boat racing all around the world and in multiple languages, than in any other single source. I think that is a great legacy for Ted March, and that legacy will grow.

God bless you Ted March and rest in peace.

ADD: I don't know if Ted liked to play cards, but when I skimmed back to the top before I closed out, The date that Ron had posted hit me that Ted had a full house. Aces and threes 1/31/13.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BRF and Ron Hill and Ted March...

Ted and I had been friends for a LONG TIME, when I said I wanted to start a Boat Racing encyclopedia, Ted wanted to be part of it. Ted's health went down hill about the time I started BRF.

Ted and I had a lot in common, we both believed that the world needed a boat racing encyclopedia. Neither one o fus ever planed to make money from BRF.

With Ted's passing I want everyone to know that Ted and I enjoyed BRF more than you members did. We both posted our life's stories here. We want you to post your life's story here, too!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-04-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had the opportunity to meet Ted, but my Dad knew him from the 'old days'. And when Dad talked about Ted he always spoke very highly of him. I was sorry to hear of Ted's passing. He will be greatly missed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ted March Obituary

Theodore R. March

Obituary
    Guest Book

• "Nancy & Larue Mae, I have always kept in touch about you..."- Bets-y Fries-Witwer

View Sign

Theodore R. March

Freehold

Theodore R. March (Ted) died January 31, 2013 at Raritan Bay Medical Center Old Bridge, NJ following a long illness. Born in Reading, PA to the late Dr. Linton E. March and Viola R. March-Good. He attended Birdsboro High School and Muhlenberg College and was active in soccer, basketball and track. Always trying to win, losing wasn't in his vocabulary. Ted worked in the magazine industry in sales and circulation starting in 1956 for the Philadelphia Inquirer, National Enquirer, Playboy and Kable News Company moving from Washington DC, Gettysburg PA, Boca Raton FL, Lombard IL and Freehold NJ giving his family the opportunities to experience many different ways of life. Boating was always a part of his life. He purchased his first boat with his winnings from a drawing at the Diamond Theater in Birdsboro in the early 50's. He raced boats for many years on the Schuylkill, Susquehanna, Hudson and Delaware Rivers achieving both World & National records. Ted passed his enthusiasm and love of boating on to both his sons who also raced boats.

He is predeceased by a son Bruce Linton March in 1999. He is survived by his wife of 54 years Nancy (Kurtz) March. Also surviving are a daughter Joelyn (March) Stefani wife of Eugene Stefani of Freehold NJ and a son Scott Paul March, wife Michelle March and two grandsons Tyler Scott and Parker Linton of Port Barrington, IL and sister in law Laura Mae Babb of Birdsboro, PA.

In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the Cancer Society or Animal Rescue League PO Box 69 Mohnton PA 19540.

Services at the Dengler Funeral Home, Inc. 144 N. Spruce St., Birdsboro, PA on Wednesday, February. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM a viewing will be held 1 hour prior to the service. Interment in Birdsboro Cemetery.

Published in Asbury Park Press on February 4, 2013
    Print | View Guest Book

Thread Information