Thread: Looking for some history on an old hydro my uncle picked up

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for some history on an old hydro my uncle picked up

My uncle just picked up an older hydroplane from western mass. He is looking to see what history it has. The family he bought it from said their father bought it from Ron Messenger while he was visiting florida. I'm not sure what it really is...it measures about 9' 10" long and the family said they were told it ran 67 mph with a 25hp motor. Could anyone give me more information on this boat. I know very little about these boats. Year, type, class and motor? He is looking to restore it and use it recreationally. Sorry about the pictures I will be trying to get some better ones soon.

Name:  48300.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  68.1 KBName:  48299.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  90.2 KB
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Craig Craft, Maybe, 1974-76 Era!

Vented transom, Craig got the idea from Cliff Bedford.....a great idea or design, deck looks Craig- Craft....Steve DeFeo killed all the Hedlund Hydros at the 1974 Dayton Nationals with his Craig Craft. There were 11 Hedlunds, and Steve won both heats by a third of a lap.
    Thanks revkev6 thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information Ron. The family's father was supposedly friends with Ron Messenger and said that he was successful racing this boat. Any chance the name is familiar? I did a Google search and found his name running and winning hydros from the 50s to the 90s? Unfortunately they said he had passed away. Don't have any info other than they said it ran in several classes up to 25hp... what would that have been? It came with 2 four stroke hondas which I think will get sold or swapped to finance the correct motor.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just spoke to MarkD about this boat as well and he mentioned the boat was a little long to be a Craig craft. Well he was right! My uncle re-measured from the base of the transom to the bow and it came in at exactly 9ft. no marking or signature is found yet. here are some better shots of the cockpit area and transom with the venting.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes zul8tr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have access so a rear outside vertical measurement of the transom can be obtained from bottom to top of aluminum ? Is that bottom rear cambered left to right ? Looks that way in pic but that could be camera optics ?

Thanks
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a picture ( small and fuzzy ) of a Ron Messenger boat, F24 in a thread ' Random Shots from the pits: part 2'. Lakeland, 1985, page 15.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Do you have access so a rear outside vertical measurement of the transom can be obtained from bottom to top of aluminum ? Is that bottom rear cambered left to right ? Looks that way in pic but that could be camera optics ?

Thanks
    I think that is just an illusion. To be honest I have yet to even lay a hand on it. Hoping to do so soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
    I think that is just an illusion. To be honest I have yet to even lay a hand on it. Hoping to do so soon.
    Looking forward to the measurement, thanks
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Looking forward to the measurement, thanks
    I would like to get the full range of relevant measurements so that it might help determine if this is a plans boat or one that Mark built. Aside from the drop left side it looks just about exactly like Cooper's 92W which was a boat Mark built.
    Does anyone have a picture of a hull marked up with labels for each critical dimension we should measure?
    Also, does anyone have a copy of the Craig craft plans I could use as reference?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information