Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: More DePue history

Post Thanks / Like

One of the 2 bridges at Quincy is closed due to high water. Several others up and down the Mississippi are closed or will be closed soon. Crest is expected to be 4th high on record middle of next week. My home town; La Grange, MO is 10 miles upstream from Quincy. The down town area gets hit hard during high water. La Grange has no levee to protect it from the river. Fortunately most residents live on the hills above the river. In my 72 years, I have never seen the River rise this quickly!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on the problems last year with very little water for the Nationals, until the heroic efforts of the Citizens of Depue with the pumps, it looks like the old phrase "feast or famine" is very much in evidence. Also the last posted pictures taken last evening show the house at the corner by the ball field may have a basement full of water today. I am sure others on the street facing the lake are in trouble also.

Best wishes to our many friends in DePue and we hope you do not suffer too much damage. You are in our thoughts and prayers, and we hope to be able to visit with you this summer. As Gene mentioned, there has been so much rain in northern Illinois, that the river has come up quickly with very little warning.

For those interested, you can Google "Illinois River Crests" and there is much information about it. Record setting crests all along the river. In just a couple of days it will hit the Mississippi just north of St. Louis, along with the Missouri river, and then several Missouri towns and further south areas will be in real trouble. The Mississippi north of where the Illinois joins is already high from lots of rain and snow melt further north. Might be a real treat this late spring and summer, as it was in 1993.

Bill & Eileen

Post Thanks / Like

In todays world of electronic everything , the second picture make me laugh everytime I see that old phone booth. Not even sure if there is a phone in it anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depue Phone

Dale,
    There used to be a phone booth by the food vendors by the kids playground. Would that be the same one? Used to use that years ago if it is before I got my cell lol.

Seen pictures of Ill and Chicago area being flooded back there on one of the BBQ sites I belong to. Hopefully the farmers can get there corn and beans in.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Yes , that is the same phone booth Todd. Like I said I am not really sure if there is even a phone still in it. Just another casuality of todays fast paced techno world.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flooding

Dale- Thanks for the pictures that you sent from the park at Depue. Sure nice to see the familiar sites even if there are no boats there. Even seen the flag still flying.

Your picture above with the homes under water sure looks like what we get here in Ca during our winters when we have flooding issues here in the Valley. Havent had anything serious lately but it sure reminds me when we have had to and bag areas in town to help those in need far to often.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who is this????

This picture appeared in the 1961 race program and then in quite a few programs after that. So it must date back prior to 1961 . The picture was definitely taken at Lake DePue but does anyone know who this is. I have looked in past race logs but can not find an H-10 , maybe an early Kirts number ???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default DePue history

If you are coming to DePue this year stop by the tent where Ray announces the races from on Wednesday and Thursday and refresh your memory on the 40 years of Alky/PRO Nationals on Lake DePue. Include are various programs , race results , old heat sheets , Propeller articles , Hydroplane Quarterly articles and local newspaper articles. Thanks to everybody who has helped me in this endeavor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all who stopped by and shared a story about past races at DePue and the kind words about the books. I appreciate it. It is your history , I just want to preserve it.

Thread Information