Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1983 Chrysler 150 V6??

Post Thanks / Like

AMEN to that, I bought a Beemer in 2003, worst P O S I ever had.

There's a TON of old Chryslers and FORCES (kudos to Orin Edsons' Bayliner organizations marketing) still running out there. Mercury Marine is still providing parts.
    We have to commend Brunswick / Mercury for their support of older motors in these trying times.

Just picked up a decent FORCE gearcase for future sales as the rebuilders have run out of parts.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was involved in Newport Pacific Boats on Pacific Coast Hwy we became the 2nd or 3rd largest Bayliner dealer. I went to the dealer meeting for the introduction of the Carpri. Orin presented the line lets say the room was cold to the idea He came back to the stage. He said this is the way it will be you can join now or you can beg for a dealership later.
    Its my ball, my mitt, and my Ballfield, so who wants to play. When Bayliner bought Chrysler. They had all the engines lined up on stands and there was a 9.9 in a tank a dealer asked him what he was going to do about the manual starter he pulled the cord and it broke his reply was I guess well have to fix it I can remember selling 100 or 150 boats at the LA Boat Show We had a Deal board on the wall well after the LA Show we had to build a new office for the deal board

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gohr View Post
    The block looks just like an early 122cu in Mec, down to the water passage across the top, the intake also seems to mirror a vertical reed merc, as well as the head castings. What kind of carbs are those? Judging by the port castings on the side of the block that would be a looper.

And yes a V6 Merc fits under that cowl, we have a friend down south who is a Chrysler freak who has a carb merc under a Chrysler cowl now
    Bill,thank you very much for the competent and comprehensive reply. Best regards.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Big demand for simple 2 strokes today, maybe Chrysler should have marketed in Asia instead of all the US manufacturers gifting the business to Yam
    The simple mod of putting a Merc gearbox on all the chryslers would have given them a serious footprint in the market

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Big demand for simple 2 strokes today, maybe Chrysler should have marketed in Asia instead of all the US manufacturers gifting the business to Yam
    The simple mod of putting a Merc gearbox on all the chryslers would have given them a serious footprint in the market
    That is exactly what Merc did with Force in `96 (after taking over from US Marine) on the larger models - reinforced crank and con rods (the latter presumably Merc), decent electronics, Merc towerhousing and transom bracket, and a (cheapified) Merc lower unit. Two years later they closed them down, presumably due to world economics and environmentalists.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    That is exactly what Merc did with Force in `96 (after taking over from US Marine) on the larger models - reinforced crank and con rods (the latter presumably Merc), decent electronics, Merc towerhousing and transom bracket, and a (cheapified) Merc lower unit. Two years later they closed them down, presumably due to world economics and environmentalists.
    OK
    funnily enough Merc still make small carb engines in the US for sale outside the US

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They Prototyped the midsection from an omc race V4 (stinger/strangler) mid.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is the owner of this "museum"? I see a rare 300 series stern drive in the background in one of the shots and it looks new.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brichter View Post
    Who is the owner of this "museum"? I see a rare 300 series stern drive in the background in one of the shots and it looks new.
    I attended a Service/Sales meeting just before Merc took over they were going to unvail Forces new sterndrive. They roll this new drive in covered with a blanket With much fan fair they pull the cover off. There sits a Chrysler 300 drive painted blue with Force decals. I nearly fell out of my chair in one of those I didn't say that out load moments I blurt out YOU GOT TO BE ****TING ME.
    We had a running joke that Force was a acroynem F**kedup Old Recyled Chrysler Engeering
    Thank God wiser minds prevailed

Thread Information