Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1983 Chrysler 150 V6??

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1983 Chrysler 150 V6??

One of my customers sent me this series of pictures of an evidently nearly ready for production Chrysler V6! He's in Canada, not the owner.
    The owner of this must be one of you guys, can you shed some historical info with us?
    Compact enough to fit under a 140 cover. Simplicity in engineering as all Chryslers.
    Why not this instead of the inline 5 abortion put into production b US Marine?

Name:  DSC00114.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  DSC00113.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  DSC00112.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  154.8 KB

Name:  DSC00111.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  DSC00110.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  DSC00109.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  128.6 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

WoW
    a bit of history there but one look at the ignition system and the gearbox and you know you wouldnt want one

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a proto type, who knows what the production engine would have looked like ??????

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is one nice looking motor. I have never had any experience with Chryslers, but looked over a 3 cylinder a couple of months ago. It also looked like a nice design and easy to work on compared with equivalent Mercs. What is wrong with the foot? For a non-racing design looks pretty clean with a semi hatchet shape and a low water pickup to boot.
    kk

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Karl View Post
    That is one nice looking motor. I have never had any experience with Chryslers, but looked over a 3 cylinder a couple of months ago. It also looked like a nice design and easy to work on compared with equivalent Mercs. What is wrong with the foot? For a non-racing design looks pretty clean with a semi hatchet shape and a low water pickup to boot.
    kk
    Non thru prop exhaust must mean the box was same design as previous ones which where a nightmare to repair

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the exciting photos.Any more info available, like technical specs, loop charged or cross-flow? With Chrysler`s awful history re head gaskets and seizing pistons, I would have thought they should have known better than to use what appears to be only four head bolts per cylinder? Towerhousing and transom bracket look like Mercury clones. BTW, the shape of that lower unit was developed by son Klaus of the German Chrysler Marine distributor August Wiese during his tenure at Berlin Technical University in the second half of the 1960s. The older (Tiger Shark based) lower units were not bad at all,and easy to work on.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    Thank you for the exciting photos.Any more info available, like technical specs, loop charged or cross-flow? With Chrysler`s awful history re head gaskets and seizing pistons, I would have thought they should have known better than to use what appears to be only four head bolts per cylinder? Towerhousing and transom bracket look like Mercury clones. BTW, the shape of that lower unit was developed by son Klaus of the German Chrysler Marine distributor August Wiese during his tenure at Berlin Technical University in the second half of the 1960s. The older (Tiger Shark based) lower units were not bad at all,and easy to work on.
    I think it is a looper?
    yes old fridges were easy to work on later ones of from about 50hp and up were terrible, you needed more tools that a speedmaster needs to rebuild a gearbox.
    Thats style of gearbox and prop is good to about 40mph then that big angle from the pinion back on top of the bullet cavitates and burns the prop at the root of the blades. same design that BMW used when they showed the world they new nothing about marine engines and drives
    The ignition system in the last years were also problem to troubleshoot
    Shame the engine never made it though.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In this context (I am just now taking up boating again after a 35 year break): would a (carburated) 2ltr Merc V6 powerhead fit under the (louvered) cowling of a 120hp Force? Disregarding issues like tower housing/tuners/lower unit.
    Any advice from you guys in the w.shops would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

The block looks just like an early 122cu in Mec, down to the water passage across the top, the intake also seems to mirror a vertical reed merc, as well as the head castings. What kind of carbs are those? Judging by the port castings on the side of the block that would be a looper.

And yes a V6 Merc fits under that cowl, we have a friend down south who is a Chrysler freak who has a carb merc under a Chrysler cowl now

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    I think it is a looper?
    yes old fridges were easy to work on later ones of from about 50hp and up were terrible, you needed more tools that a speedmaster needs to rebuild a gearbox.
    Thats style of gearbox and prop is good to about 40mph then that big angle from the pinion back on top of the bullet cavitates and burns the prop at the root of the blades. same design that BMW used when they showed the world they new nothing about marine engines and drives
    The ignition system in the last years were also problem to troubleshoot
    Shame the engine never made it though.
    I believe BMW knows little about any vehicle!!

Thread Information