Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formual 150 tech rules???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Formual 150 tech rules???

Printed them off last season and they were pretty vague.
    Does any one know if their have been any additions/changes especially to the JohnRudes??
    Thanks Guys,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gary,

This are the tech rules you are probably talking about:
    http://apba-racing.com/Categories/OP...leBook2004.pdf

The APBA Annual Meeting is coming up in February, but I don't know what is on the agenda for this class, if anything. Changes for any of the classes will be discussed at this meeting and whether to put them on the ballot.

If you want to check the pulse of the class, you might want to attend one of the Fall Region Meetings where some of the other Formula 150 drivers may be attending. Those meetings will be happening over the next couple of months and the details will be posted as they come in to the APBA MEETINGS database. http://apba-racing.com/Events.php?Meetings=

The best bet would be to contact the APBA OPC Chairman, Mike Weinandt at apbaopc1@charter.net . He'll have all the scoop as well as any possible changes that might be on the horizon. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanx Val

I think that's the same as I already had but looks to show no changes so far.
    May piddle with one and don't want to end up with a ground up piece of junk after an unexpected rule change.
    Did that with a Mod 20 project. Finished the project to find out there was basically no class
    Thanx again!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have specific questions you may email me. We race the F-150 class regularly and were involved in the making of the rules.
    thanks,
    Erick Adams
    R-10

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanx Erick

Quote Originally Posted by Erick
    If you have specific questions you may email me. We race the F-150 class regularly and were involved in the making of the rules.
    thanks,
    Erick Adams
    R-10
    A message is on it's way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sooooo....

haven't heard back from anybody so am left to my own accord to interpert tech rules??
    As written the exsiting rules look to be written by Mercury as usual.
    2.0 Champ motors with "any mods" allowed??
    (as written that's the motor I'd run)
    "Modified" (???) Merc 2.4 oval and brideports allowed.
    2.7 JohnRudes allowed only "as cast" !!! (you're freagin kiddin right??)
    So lets see, ground on 2.0 and 2.4 Merc (pure bread) race motors against STOCK JohnRude fish motors?? A three port motor that is tuned for 5500 RPM and no mods against 10K + RPM race motors?? Did Carl K. write these rules??
    Can you say "pissing in the wind"??
    I can.
    From what I've been able to learn so far it looks like a class for the 120 guys and for the guys with the old 2.0 Champ motors to make a couple bucks on the weekends.
    The good news is that personally I think the basis for the class is the "Second Coming"!!
    Give us the leeway to make a Johnny (and a Suzi and a Yammi) competitive and I will be the first to add lead to the boat if we got it figured out "too" well. (give me .050" exhaust port height, allow fingerports, and to cut .100" off the heads and lets throw down!) You're giving the Mercs 30 cc heads and a stock 2.7 Johnny is 48!! Come one Carl, give us a freagin break!
    Trust me, I know what it's like to have your *** handed to you.
    When I first read of this class a few years ago I was geeked. I thought it was a true work bench motor class.
    Let us cross breed parts,build our own mids etc and watch the spectator stans fill up.
    You want to bring back racing????
    Mod VP (almost) reborn??
    Make the rules fair and lets throw down baby!
    I love the concept of this class but lets get it right before it and the rest of our sport dies. Enough of writing the rules so a certain brand wins.
    After all, it's our sport not theirs!
    Remember, history has proven to us over and over again what happens to our sport and it's classes if we allow it to be controlled by the engine manufactures. You need only look at Offshore, Stock O/B, Drag or OPC to see the results.
    It's great while they're writitng checks but as soon as they stop then we're left wth our heads buried in the sand the same as they've always been!
    Gary
    Last edited by Instigator; 09-25-2005 at 05:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry its taken a few days. Went racing You have a message coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanx Erick and..

Quote Originally Posted by Erick
    Sorry its taken a few days. Went racing You have a message coming.
    Back at yah.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There are alot of good engines out there. Some people swear the 2.5 is the way to go. Some say 2.4's. I am the only active person in the country running the 2.0L. Its too hard to play catchup all the time. The 2.0L has no chance at the start dock. Even if you can spin upper 9K the 2.4's seem to create too many problems. I think if the 2.0L champ engine was AT LEAST allowed the stock head that they came with from the factory it would make the out of the hole more fair.
    The old 2.0L are not the way to make a few bucks, a good 140 will beat them every time on a shorter coarse. If you are considering running in the midwest 9/10 races you probably wouldn't like the results of a pre 89 2.0L with the head rule in place.
    I've ran some coarses in our local club and ran faster lap times with my 120 than my 2.0L champ.

Just my .02.

Come on up to the local races up north, we'd love to have you up here. Bring a 2.0L if you think its the way to go! My 2.0L is the only thing I have, it spins, and most importantly, it don't break! (yet)

Brian
    brian@tabararacing.com

Senior
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Formula 150

Quote Originally Posted by Instigator
    haven't heard back from anybody so am left to my own accord to interpert tech rules??
    As written the exsiting rules look to be written by Mercury as usual.
    2.0 Champ motors with "any mods" allowed??
    (as written that's the motor I'd run)
    "Modified" (???) Merc 2.4 oval and brideports allowed.
    2.7 JohnRudes allowed only "as cast" !!! (you're freagin kiddin right??)
    So lets see, ground on 2.0 and 2.4 Merc (pure bread) race motors against STOCK JohnRude fish motors?? A three port motor that is tuned for 5500 RPM and no mods against 10K + RPM race motors?? Did Carl K. write these rules??
    Can you say "pissing in the wind"??
    I can.
    From what I've been able to learn so far it looks like a class for the 120 guys and for the guys with the old 2.0 Champ motors to make a couple bucks on the weekends.
    The good news is that personally I think the basis for the class is the "Second Coming"!!
    Give us the leeway to make a Johnny (and a Suzi and a Yammi) competitive and I will be the first to add lead to the boat if we got it figured out "too" well. (give me .050" exhaust port height, allow fingerports, and to cut .100" off the heads and lets throw down!) You're giving the Mercs 30 cc heads and a stock 2.7 Johnny is 48!! Come one Carl, give us a freagin break!
    Trust me, I know what it's like to have your *** handed to you.
    When I first read of this class a few years ago I was geeked. I thought it was a true work bench motor class.
    Let us cross breed parts,build our own mids etc and watch the spectator stans fill up.
    You want to bring back racing????
    Mod VP (almost) reborn??
    Make the rules fair and lets throw down baby!
    I love the concept of this class but lets get it right before it and the rest of our sport dies. Enough of writing the rules so a certain brand wins.
    After all, it's our sport not theirs!
    Remember, history has proven to us over and over again what happens to our sport and it's classes if we allow it to be controlled by the engine manufactures. You need only look at Offshore, Stock O/B, Drag or OPC to see the results.
    It's great while they're writitng checks but as soon as they stop then we're left wth our heads buried in the sand the same as they've always been!
    Gary
    Gary and others,

Formula-150 rules were not made by any Manufacturer!
    The class was designed for local and sport racing to be as competitive and as inexpensive as possible and not restricted to one factory engine as in series racing. If you want no rules then you can run Mod-U as inthe past.
    The norm for 150 is based on the old SST-140 class therefore engines with more ci's are restricted to stock blocks.
    I spent hours, days and weeks designing the class and fought an up hill battle to get it approved as a National Class. The Merc 2.5 stock block has less ci's than OMC,Yamaha and Suzuki and is competitive.
    If over time there are changes needed the rules can be amended.
    150 is a growing class while other existing classes are dying so quit complaining.There is a racer in Detroit that is putting together a couple of OMC engines to race in 150.
    I have run a 120 ( 1976 to 1990 models ), a 2.4 oval, a 2.4 bridgeport and a
    2.5 stock block and have won with all of them. I have never run over 8200 rpm with any of them. Maybe you need a better prop. There is such a thing as torque curve to be considered. I ran the same prop on all engines.
    I sent the rules to Ron to publish ( original 2003 ) and if there are any current updates I will send them to him.
    150 races are being run in three or four regions of APBA already.
    I've already started my 47th year of racing and hope to run my TIIX in 150 this year for the FUN of it this year. I race for the fun, friendship and enjoyment of the sport. I hope I've been some help to you.
    I'd like to get a Formula 120 Class started for sport racers as my 1990 SST-120 engine has been obsoleted by the new version of the SST-120 and the alterations that are being allowed because of Series racing.

Larry C.
    that are not supposed to be allowed in an SST Class.

Thread Information