Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 PRO Nationals

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1971 PRO Nationals

Here are some pages from the 1971 PRO Nationals program alomg with the final standing sheets and the race recap from Powerboat magazing. I would again like to thank race historian R.C. Hawie for his contribution of the Powerboat article , thanks RC.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Post Thanks / Like

Default More 1971

Here are the final standing sheets and the Powerboat article.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone recognize the race sites from the pictures in the program and who the gentleman are looking at the service motor. I am sure the picture with W-444 boat is from DePue.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1971 Propeller article

Just came across the 1971 Nationals article that was in Propeller magazine. I'd like to thank Bruce Summers for sending it to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hydroplane Quarerly

While searching the internet I came across a website that contained some of the issues of Tim Chances' magazine Hydroplane Quarterly and thought it may make a nice adition of the files.

Allen J. Lang

WOW !!!! Look at the prices of the K Craft runabouts. Remember my purchase of a Sea Jay C/D runabout for just a bit more delivered. The GOOD OLD days.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I didn't remember Bill Seebold advertising MX-237 The Master Oil. They were dealers, but later on just bought it for themselves and a sports fisherman who had a TV show on fishing in the Midwest. In that Hydroplane Quarterly article Dale, the captions are switched on the photos of Armand Hebert and Bill Van Steenwyk.

There are a number of photos taken at DePue. Some racing ones and I think most if not all on the front cover look like they could be DePue. The one with the pine trees was probably taken in Washington.

I was especially pleased to see the results from the Eastern Divisionals at Granite City, Illinois. The actual racing is only a distant and hazy recollection for me. I can only remember being out in B Hydro and feeling how wonderful it was going down the front straight and feeling a breeze. I clearly remember being at the Seebold's shop and looking at the 6 cylinder Merc they had modified for the TV Fisherman whose first name I think was Jerry. They hopped up his Merc and sold him Master Oil to help his motor last. In his line of work, he raced to each fishing spot as quickly as he could, and Master Oil helped keeping from scoring pistons and giving life to the crank as well as some increase in top speed. I can also remember the Seebolds taking us first to one of the base legs of the Arch, and then to the horse race track. Bill and Pauline loved to go to the horse races. Seems like the race track was very close to the arch. That's about all I remember about that trip except how increadibly hot it was at the race course.

We were pitted on far right. Nobody past us. Tim Butts was just to our left. The beach and pit area was very nice, and some trees provided some shade, but the heat and humidity sapped all our strength. There's been only three or four other times I have ever been that hot. The sky was completely overcast and it held the heat and humidity in like a lid on a boiling pot. It took forever to rig up and rig down. No strength or will to work. I did not remember how we ended up in the races until now. We did not go to the Nationals that year. It was when the draft went to lottery numbers and my number was 151. They were getting close enough that I was scheduled to take a bus to San Antonio for a physical. I was just about to begin my final semester at college, and I believe I was to report to San Antonio during that time period. I was not allowed to drive up or back. I had to ride the bus and spend the night in a Hotel down by the Riverwalk. In those days it was a drug infested, dangerous place to hang out, but there was a black guy who could really play a beat on a 55 gallon drum. I'm pretty sure the timing of that physical is what caused us to miss the Nationals at DePue in 1971.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne - We have some family that lives in St Louis and there is a horse track called Fairmount Park that is actually in Collinsville IL just off I-55 which is only a short drive from downtown St Louis. Maybe that was the track Bill took you to. I believe it is still in operation today. Maybe somebody like Bill Van can verify that.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Been awhile since I looked at this thread Dale. Maybe Bill Van might pick it up and chime in too now.

I have a common cause with you Dale, not only that I like what you are doing in putting together all the history, but I have to get it straight regarding my own participation in the 1971 Nationals. I have no recollection of being there, but Joe Rome says he would not have gone had he known I would not be there. Also he has mentioned over the years our team hauling Andy Wellers A runabout to DePue. I do not remember that at all. And over the years, Joe has talked about different things that happened such as going to a meat market with my Dad to buy a bunch of steaks to cook in the pits. Joe pointed out the area where they drove to on our way to the banquet in 2007. I do not remember any of that.

I remember every race I attended at DePue, and I don't have any memories of 1971, yet Joe has some compelling arguments that my Dad Baldy was there. I was Eastern Division Champ and thus had a slot in the finals. If someone has a complete roster to post, it would show whether or not I was there. I don't think I was. It would solve my memories, but then Joe and I would have to figure out how Andy's boat got up to DePue. So if anyone has any rosters to post, please do so. Maybe RC Hawie. Or if Clyde Queen has any...Charlotte kept things.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    Wayne - We have some family that lives in St Louis and there is a horse track called Fairmount Park that is actually in Collinsville IL just off I-55 which is only a short drive from downtown St Louis. Maybe that was the track Bill took you to. I believe it is still in operation today. Maybe somebody like Bill Van can verify that.
    As you mentioned Fairmont Park is still in existence on the east side across the river from STL. Bill Seebold used to frequent both Fairmont and Cahokia Downs as he knew jockeys and trainers/owners who raced at both tracks. He once won a Cadillac coupe at one of the tracks, don't remember which one now, and I always thought it was really cheap of the track as it did not even have AC. I seem to remember he put the aftermarket type in it that had the long clear plastic air vents that came out of the rear of the flat place behind the rear seat and went about half way to the front seat. Also had the big main control unit under the dash with the temp and on/off knobs on it.

Cahokia Downs is long gone now, probably 15/20 years, and Fairmont is the only track left now. It's days may be numbered also, as they have said for the last several years that they cannot make it on only what they take in (profit from betting after the winners are paid) and need slots also, but the legislature is "thinking" about that one. Maybe an Illinois resident can add to the discussion.

I do remember the Hydroplane Quarterly as Tim got the photos reversed with mine and Armand Hebert. I took quite a lot of kidding about being the "C Service Ace". That was the year I ran Ernie LaRose's Hydro and Runabout for him after he had hit his left hand with a hammer and could not use it.

I know Dale has Clyde Queen's phone number as I put them in touch with one another, and Clyde has promised to get into some of Charlotte's files and old score sheets/results. Perhaps we will see that sooner than later here on BRF.

Thread Information