Thread: Raceboat and Switzer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Fun pics of the ET boats. I saw on your site you had ET-80. I believe the owner of this boat was Art Williams. The boat was named Sasquatch. He had two other boats named Big Foot (not sure which class) and Little Foot. All painted the same in purplish/black colors.
    Little Foot was a Sport C. It was cute seeing all three together in one spot.

I remember well the boat "Walker Lake Special". Jack and my late brother Mike had met at Walker Lake (Hawthorne, NV) when Mike drove up there to race his stock outboard. Jacks hospitality made a fond lasting impression on my brother. He must have been a heck of a person. Am I right in thinking that Jack was killed at Walker Lake many years ago?

Here's another image of the late Mitch Lembke winning the Parker Enduro:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Miss BK; 01-06-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sasquatch

Here is the photo you mentioned for all to see. Thanks for stopping by my site. I'm trying to put together an Inboard Endurance historical site. The pics I have on my site are ones I found in my own pictures, I was engine builder for Dr. Cannan. I have contacted Dr. Cannan and Jerry Gilbreath so far and both are going to dig for photos and articles. Anybody else who has something they can spare, let me know!
    John
    P.S. Yes, I did hear Jack died some time back in a boating accident. Not sure if it was racing related. Walker Lake races were my personal favorites!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Pictures...

The Walker 100's were some great racing. I'm not sure of the elevation, but those BIG ET boats didn't develop "KILLER" horsepower up there, and as a result they'd have to or I should say, they were able to fly them like outboards, without blowing over...and man did they RACE..Hart pounding excitement...

I remember one Walker 100 where they had about ten ET's, still not sure where they all came from, but they were running with a bunch of GN's....It was one of the best boat races I ever watched...Can't recall who won, but it seems it was Mitch Lemke or Bob Nordskog....

I have to admit, the 100 INCH OUTBOARDS didn't put on a very good show compared to the ET's. Dick Sherrer led wire to wire, Pat Murphy ran second wire to wire and I ran third....boring boat race...

Many years later, at a Mini Enduro, at Walker, I remember the mini's putting on a great show...as Walker gets rough every morning and then gets flat as a pancake in the afternoon...They ran the Mini's first...I remember my wife being in the air more than the water...She ended third....but had lead...If I'd had a radio they'd have never passed her or ...well, why would she listen then???

At that Mini/Big Boat Enduro they gave all drivers and families like $25 worth of gambling tokens and 2 or three free drink tickets.... I told Barb we should spend the tokens at least...so she was playing roulette or the Big Spin and I went to get some FREE DRINKS...none of the RACERS would let me near the bar with my free tickets...(They were saying I was cheap....which was true)..So, I shouted my order over their heads...which is the way I order drinks anyway, and turned and put my dollar token in the slot machine and hit $300...300 real silver dollars came out....all of a sudden I had a lot of friends...I tell'em all to go to H...Get my drinks, I put another dollar in the machine and hit $80 more...I filled this big bucket up with dollars and take my two drinks to my wife...All the rest of the summer the kids and me spent that money...we called it our "MAD MONEY"...We went to Tiajuana...and we were paying the guys on the street to play La Bamba...then we went to the Dog races...

You'd be surprised what close to $400 worth of "MAD MONEY" can buy...

Jack use to give away land near his home as part of the prizes. He had subdivided some land, and gave away view lots. He always seemed to be one swell guy. He was killed at Parker, in a blow over of his ET running for the kilo record.. a capsule would have saved him...

ADD:

Great pictures...I miss Mitch Lemke.....as we had planeed to attend the OPC Nationals together, the year hea and he father were killed going to Walker...DeeDee and Mitch kept the wheels on ET and GN racing for years...
    Brad Miller, Robert Palm, ...great sponsors and competitors...Gil Gilbert and Jerry Gilbreath...great drivers...Those were the GOLDEN YEARS of GN Racing...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-06-2005 at 02:09 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walker Lake Races

Ron,
    Couldn't agree with you more. After 1980 I moved east and married a girl who was and is afraid of water so I left boat racing. Didn't keep up with any of it and missed it badly for years. About 4 weeks ago I started digging through pictures and decided to do this project. In 78 or 79 Brad Miller and I teamed up to put on an Inboard Endurance race at Puddingstone reservoir along with an outboard race that was happening at the time. As a result I was given a list of names and addresses of all available racers at the time. I started going through that list a couple of weeks ago and looking up the names on the internet, only to find that many have passed on. I knew about Bob Palm, I helped build his boat and was there for the building of Cannan's new boat, out of the same mold. But the others....Red Adair, Armie Haines, Brad Miller, Bob Nordskog, Mitch Lemke, Jim Bohenna (who helped teach me what I was doing in my first GN ride), Jack Rourke.... I could go on but it makes me sad to think of it. I think often of putting on a race here, maybe one that the guys could get to on the way home from somewhere else, and the thread I read about doing an enduro race again really perked up my spirits. Thats why they call them inboard endurance
    Can't wait to see if that endurance race out west works.
    John
    P.S. I gambled for my first time ever at Walker......won 20 bucks! Not bad for a kid at that time!

This picture is of Brad Miller's Crazyhorse, In the seat is Jerry Gilbreath
    Last edited by Jengle37; 01-06-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Robert Palm..

Seems like I talked to Bob a year or two ago... FYI, he owned Johnny's Speed and Chrome....I was working on some props one day, this guy pulls up and says he needs a prop for his GN.....I start asking him questions and telling him this and that...Finally after after 15 minutes, he says, "Look I've got things to do...How much are your props?" I say $500 each...He reaches in his pocket and pulls out a roll..He peels for $2,000 and says I want four and left...

I didn't know his name...I got the props ready and had to ask around who he might be...So, he's gone...

Brad was ONLY 65....Keep an eye on his son, Brandon Miller, runs Busch NASCAR...

Keep the Enduro thread...

Great pictures, thanks for posting...Love to have a picture of Mitch Lemke's kilo rune...seems he went 138 MPH with that Jag!!!! But don't know for sure...they had the picture on the wall at the shop!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-09-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

Beloit Wisconsin 1960

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

1960 Beloit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

Beloit wisconsin