Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

J U finals Beloit Wisconsin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

AU Finals: Guntersville, Alabama 1961
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-10-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

BU Finals: Guntersville, Alabama, 1961
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-10-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Houston, We Have a Problem...

But these results are from 1961 Guntersville, Alabama...

Well...think...
    1. Ted May didn't go to Beloit in 1960. He had torn the transom out of his Swift at Lodi Lake and broke his tail bone. He had started a new boat, as he saved every piece and lined the pieces up across his and his neighbor's front lawn...to make a copy for the new boat called THE BLUE ANGEL...When his wife came home, from a short vacation, she saw these boat parts all over her yard and the neighbors...She went and filed for DIVORCE that same day.

2. At Beloit, 1960, I remember talking to Teddy Thompson and Dan Christy about Ted May. (Ted was leading high points in A, B and D hydro at the time)...I remember explaining to them that Ted raced a lot of classes, but wasn't really very fast in any of them..He just drove well and never missed a chance to race...

3. Walter Huhn was listed as 4th in CU. I just got off the phone with Walt and he said he'd never been to Beloit. That he in fact did get fourth in Cu in Guntersville, 1961.

4. Keith Stippich and myself each had 625 points, so that meant we had 1-3 or 3-1... Seems I recall Ponitus with a Sea Jay, flat turning and making life miserable to get around...It was 1962, that Don won CU and DU...

5. In 1960, at Beloit, my dad made a deal with Sid and Mickey to be a Sid Craft dealer. We ordered a new D Hydro for my brother...Ted, then order a Sid Craft because my brother did well with his Sid and Ted paid $177 freight, a hundred dollars more than expected...Ted vowed to never buy another Sid Craft...

6. But what makes me sure this was 1961, Alabama, is Ted May running BU...Doc Collins had a BU, and he was going to let Ted or Ernie drive it..I wanted to drive too...It was Ted's motor...So, I decided, we should each make a lap and the fastest guy would get to drive...Ted went first, Doc timed. Then, Ernie, and Ernie was just a little faster...They made me add gas, so I wouldn't be lighter....

I come roaring done the front straightway, and see Doc start the watch...I also notice that Ted and Ernie and few others a re just kind of standing around...Alabam had 6 bouy corners, I skid the first turn and lay down in the cockpit...about fourty feet from the first bouy of the second corner I just start my turn...it is getting dark...I'm still laying in the cockpit...I sneak a peek and just as I get to the last buoy and crank it hard and sit up in the boat like I'm setting her to come off the corner, I lay down again and never look up until I see Doc drop his arm...

I pull in, and say, "This Sum BITCH really goes when you lay down in the cockpit." Doc say, "You ain't kidding, you're 3 second faster than either one of them." Ted and Ernie start telling Doc he screwed the timing up...
    Nobody says a thing about me cutting the corner, as I was sure they couldn't really tell from where they were....Finally, I tell Doc I cheated...but no one would believe me....They all swore thye watched me, and they thought I didn't want to run....Ted got to run, because it was his motor...

No one probably cares....it is still fun to read the names...

ADD:
    6...Ron Zubak's last BU race was Beloit...Ron and Gerry Hedlund did run 1-2 in 1961...Gerry didn't run BU in 1960...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-09-2020 at 08:05 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1960 SO Nationals

Bob,

These aren't the finals as Stan Armstrong won CSH witha 1st & 3rd I was 2nd with 2 seconds. ASH was won by Jack Evans in the SWift & DSH was won by Bob Okner. I'm wondering if what you posted was elimination results.

John

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1960 Beloit Nationals

Additional Follow up, Don Christie won the first heat & flipped going to the first turn of the second heat. Bob Brown flipped. Piper didn't qualify and loaned his "C" with padded cylinders to Christie. Not really sure were your results came from but I know that as a result of Okner's year in 1960 he was awarded 2US. That's the boat number you show for him in the DSH results where you show Dick O'Dea as winner. I believe Dick won in 1959 in Seattle, or somewhere out there as did Johnny Schedel in DU, yet on the DU results Johnny is listed way down. I'm confused about these results.

I was just looking at my CSH 2nd place trophy last night.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

All the finals I have shown were attached to the newspaper article and has Beloit Wisconsin finals 1960 on the first page. I know that John Schubert has stated that he was there when i posted this on another forum. I never posted the names before and Johns name is not there.Soooooo i will say Straighten me out here guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Whose boat did Christy borrow? Shouldn't his number have had an E instead of N?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

I am doing homework to locate where those finals go. This is another clipping from Beloit of that race.
    Last edited by B VALACHOVIC; 01-31-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raceboat Photos

beloit

Thread Information