Thread: Raceboat and Switzer Wings

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default some old photos

here are a few photos laying around handy
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ted may Picture...

That OLD MAN on post number 272 the LEGEND, TED MAY...I'm guessing the picture was 1969...in Texas...If Wayne Baldwain posted the picture, the only time Ted may raced in Texas was 1969...he had my 1968 Chevy wagon....I had gone to Chicago (OMC)....and then went to DePue...Can't recall, but Ted and Paul Drake had my car in Texas...and I didn't have an OPC boatto race....No, that's not true..I went to the marathon Nationals in Trenton, Michigan....instead.

Yes, that was when Ted was in Texas....July, 1969...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-24-2005 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Havasu Land Sales...1968...

When McCulloch first started selling lots at Havasu city...they'd fly you there fre...Half the residents in Havasu bought their lots on the 445 down deal and $45 a month...9Not sure that is true today...but was a few years ago)...

Of course, if the wind was blowing in Havasu, the plane in Chicago was "DELAYED" until the following weekend... Stuff happens...

Ralph Evinrude told me ha made more money in the Havsu Land Corporation, than he ever did in Evinrude motors...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Father Son Relay...

Not sure the year, but John Drake was 13, but John passed away a month or two ago and he was 68...My brother is 71....Must have been 1949..

My dad told me that on the last straightaway before he was to pit, he'd lock his throttle and reach back and unscrew the fuel tank cap, so when they pitted they'd be quick...I don't recall anyone every saying "WE" won this race, so can assume, my dad and brother didn't win...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-26-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hot info

What a great thread...hat's off to Bob especially...have a little info or corrections..
    post 162 and 163 is the first Wing Dave Craig got, right after the 6 hour at Lake X..it's not the original U4 that won Winnebago...or ran at the 6 hour..it never ran right but would run good when it quit hopping..it didn't have an adjustable wing..I got to drive it in Miami..I worked for Dave in 60-61..
    post 234 is a Sea Craft 4 point experimental cat, most Sea Crafts were built from American Marc hull molds..I drove this boat in the 9 and 6 hour races, that's me in the picture..I broke a swivel pin in the 9 hour while running 3rd overall and 1st outboard..and the reeds let go in the six hour while running 2nd overall and 1st in class with 20 minutes to go..
    keep the pictures coming....

Butch

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Butch. I went back and edited in your comments with the pictures. I think the pic of U-4 is at Miami, isn't it? Can you tell us anything about the canopy and cowling coming off?

I guess this boat went back to Lake X as an in house boat when Craig got the next one? How was it that Craig got to have the hottest boats available?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave's wing

Sam
    yes that's Miami and I don't remember ever losing those parts so it was probably just for repairs or such..
    Dave and Mr K had a great relationship..Dave took very good care of him when he was in So Fla..his needs were met...the Merc team used Skyway as a home base..Dave was a great guy..still is..

Butch

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ted May picture

Ron--I Took the picture of Ted May at Clear Lake near Houston in August 1975. It was the Red Adair North America Championships. Both inboards and OPC ran. Jack Waite (in one of your pictures next to Red Adair) was referee. There was a who's who of people at the event. Bob Nordskog, Bill and Billy Seebold, Johnny Sanders, Reggie Fountain and many others.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1971 Miami 225 Winner...Jimbo McConnell

Looks like Bob "GOAT" Nagode congratulating Jimbo...

OMC hull... Jack Leek designed, Wilbur McDonald built...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same race...

Fred Hauenstein and Me...Who is the OMC Team Mechanic?
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-01-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Thread Information